Fitting a immersion heater.

wullie

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, wullie said:

What type of job is it to install immersion heater into calorifire, there is a large brass plug in the end, is this the position for the element to heat water?

Yep sounds like it. Easy enough make sure you put the fibre washer thingy in and don't overtighten it. Lowish wattage type usualy 1 or 1.25 ish available from chandlers. Oh I emptied the water out of mine before attempting it.

22 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

About half of the water will come out anyway if you don't do this.

Don't ask me how I know this ....

You got there first....

The trick is to loosen the blanking plate slightly, first. If you loosen it too much, just pinch it up a bit, and wipe the water up...

If you empty the cauliflower completely, a large force could bend it. Been there, done it (but on a dead tank).

FWIW 1Kw heaters take a-----g-----e-----s to heat up, so question whether  it's worth doing. I haven't bothered to replace mine, but it's at the bottom of the tank and I have to remove the whole  ** thing. Now I have a mooring with 'leccy, I'm thinking again! 

I emptied mine completely, fitted the immersion element, tightened it moderately, refilled the calorifier, heated the tank up with the engine and then tightened it a bit more. You may find that a vacuum in the tank prevents you from emptying it, in which case you can twist the PRV at the top of the tank and let some air in. Releasing the PRV stops the flow so it's easy to drain the tank gradually into a washing up bowl, but have a few old towels handy anyway.

Once it's electrically connected, make sure you switch off the mains and any other mains source before taking the cover off and messing around with the settings. 

Edited by blackrose