Local mooring

huntergatherer

Featured Posts

Hello all

i am going to be moving my boat to a club mooring on the river Stort soon. I am hoping to take my boat off the mooring and to visit locat spots where the fishing is better a few days each week. Most of these spots are frequented by constant cruisers boats and consequently attract the attention of mooring wardens, given that I have got a local home mooring and will only be staying for short periods am I allowed to revisit these spots a number of times throughout the year ?

6 minutes ago, huntergatherer said:

Hello all

i am going to be moving my boat to a club mooring on the river Stort soon. I am hoping to take my boat off the mooring and to visit locat spots where the fishing is better a few days each week. Most of these spots are frequented by constant cruisers boats and consequently attract the attention of mooring wardens, given that I have got a local home mooring and will only be staying for short periods am I allowed to revisit these spots a number of times throughout the year ?

Yes. If its CART.

1 hour ago, huntergatherer said:

Hello all

If you really are concerned, and content to accept the answer, then it is always permitted to check with the horse's mouth - ie your local enforcement officer - or even head office.

I asked CRT this when the new T&Cs came out.  I have a home mooring and spend a fair bit of time about two miles down the canal, several days at a time (just because I like it there) and then go back to my mooring.  No problem, they said - the "clock gets reset" every time you go back to your mooring for a night was the way they put it.  You can go to any local spot as often as you like.

On the K&A as I recall, there are restrictions for boats with a home mooring on a number of visitor moorings.  As well as being limited to 1 or 2 days there is also a restriction on total days in any one month. 5 or 7 total I seem to remember is common. :angry:

It seems to me that almost every post that asks a question or describes an anomaly in canal custom or tradition results in "how it is on the K&A" and it always sounds worse .... arse about face .... unfriendly ...... counter intuitive.

I've never cruised it, but honestly I feel quite put off by the thought of it.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Rebotco said:

On the K&A as I recall, there are restrictions for boats with a home mooring on a number of visitor moorings.  As well as being limited to 1 or 2 days there is also a restriction on total days in any one month. 5 or 7 total I seem to remember is common. :angry:

I am on the K and A this is news to me. There are no signs to that effect or any email notifications, saying so.

"No more than 'x' days in a calendar month" or "No return within 'y' days" signs are fairly commonplace around the system, and certainly not a K&A specific thing.

However, many people believe that CRT have no legal powers to state and attempt to enforce such rules, and the reality is that they almost never try to enforce such rules.

12 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I asked CRT this when the new T&Cs came out.  I have a home mooring and spend a fair bit of time about two miles down the canal, several days at a time (just because I like it there) and then go back to my mooring.  No problem, they said - the "clock gets reset" every time you go back to your mooring for a night was the way they put it.  You can go to any local spot as often as you like.

As Arthur says. I do very similar, move from marina a few miles, stay, come back, go back, repeat. For the last decade the nb has only gone on extended trips every few years or so. No issues raised by BWB/CaRT about being seen moored on the same waterway/similar spot. This is oop north, Peak and Macc.

12 hours ago, Rebotco said:

Our share boat has just had two years on the K and A  and I can remember these restrictions at some moorings but can't remember the exact locations.  I wonder whether our boat exceeded the number of days, albeit with different owners cruising the same areas?

5 hours ago, davem399 said:

Our share boat has just had two years on the K and A  and I can remember these restrictions at some moorings but can't remember the exact locations.  I wonder whether our boat exceeded the number of days, albeit with different owners cruising the same areas?

That is an interesting one as I guess your boat is now licensed as a private boat so presumably comes under the same requirments as any other private boat regardless who is onboard

5 hours ago, davem399 said:

A boat doesn't commit the 'offence' though (I know its not really a criminal/civil offence, simply a T&Cs thing), the person in charge of it does. If its a different person in charge, then its not a return visit.

17 hours ago, Rebotco said:

Perhaps you should read CRT's terms & conditions - see para 2 from CRT website

CRT visitor moorings

Indeed however those restrictions apply to ALL boats not just those with a home mooring and only applies between Bath and Foxhangers not the whole of the K and A.

32 minutes ago, Meanderingviking said:

Indeed however those restrictions apply to ALL boats not just those with a home mooring and only applies between Bath and Foxhangers not the whole of the K and A.

Who said anything otherwise?

32 minutes ago, Rebotco said:

Who said anything otherwise?

Err you did ......

21 hours ago, Rebotco said:

for boats with a home mooring on a number of visitor moorings.

1 hour ago, Meanderingviking said:

But it would be interesting if they were legally enforceable just because CRT decide to write a page of terms and conditions that no one else has agreed to. Mind you, I wont be testing it out.

45 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

But it would be interesting if they were legally enforceable just because CRT decide to write a page of terms and conditions that no one else has agreed to. Mind you, I wont be testing it out.

It may well be that these restrictions are unenforceable but it is probably not worth testing it out unless one has little else to amuse oneself. Better to see them as advise about what is good manners and about letting everyone have a fair share of scarce resources. You could even take it as permission to act as Banbury Cross (see other thread re Places with . . .)

21 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

It may well be that these restrictions are unenforceable but it is probably not worth testing it out unless one has little else to amuse oneself. Better to see them as advise about what is good manners and about letting everyone have a fair share of scarce resources. You could even take it as permission to act as Banbury Cross (see other thread re Places with . . .)

All this stuff has only come in because of a few who take the pee and think they should do what they like and sod the rest

15 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

All this stuff has only come in because of a few who take the pee and think they should do what they like and sod the rest

That characteristic of human nature is why we have  most of our laws, regulations and red tape in the first place - to deter people from acting selfishly.

Take that classic Aunt Sally, Heath and Safety: most of the constraints are introduced because someone has cut a corner or otherwise sought to maximise their own benefit to the detriment of others. Just like how bread manufacture had to be regulated when too many bakers bulked out their product with cheap chalk instead of flour.