OTLEY

pete harrison

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Paul Greaves2 said:

Yesssss.   I remember now.  The metal cabin went on in August of about 1980ish.  I recall going on a "holiday" and the cabin being unpainted and hence a nice rust covered shell.  The primer was added during the trip and Otley was taken out the water somehwere to have the hull blacked, checked.  All a bit sketchy but I remember getting the train back from Rugby to go back home, so it was probably down that way.  

Hilmorton I think Paul.  I remember Doug fretting because working hours were very restricted there.

20 hours ago, Paul Greaves2 said:

Yesssss.   I remember now.  The metal cabin went on in August of about 1980ish.  I recall going on a "holiday" and the cabin being unpainted and hence a nice rust covered shell.  The primer was added during the trip and Otley was taken out the water somehwere to have the hull blacked, checked.  All a bit sketchy but I remember getting the train back from Rugby to go back home, so it was probably down that way.  

I have it my mind that the steel cabin (not engine room) was fitted in about 1980 but Doug Greaves told me it was definitely 1975 :captain:

27 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

I have it my mind that the steel cabin (not engine room) was fitted in about 1980 but Doug Greaves told me it was definitely 1975 :captain:

Thinking some more about the pictures I posted from Gas Street, the two well coated women that appear are friends of my first wife, so this was taken in her teacher training year.  That dates it between Autumn 1975 and Summer 1976, and the general feeling of cold and the smoking chimneys suggest the winter of 1975/76.

It certainly doesn't look like a wooden cabin in imminent need of replacing in steel, so my guess is 1975 is unlikely to be true. 

Edited by alan_fincher

On 05/07/2018 at 22:31, alan_fincher said:

I can't exactly date these pictures, but think they have to be either 1975 or 1976.

I'm guessing the motor with Bodmin has to be Otley, but please correct me if I am wrong.

Gas_Streeet001.jpg

Gas_Streeet002.jpg

On 07/07/2018 at 14:59, alan_fincher said:

Thinking some more about the pictures I posted from Gas Street, the two well coated women that appear are friends of my first wife, so this was taken in her teacher training year.  That dates it between Autumn 1975 and Summer 1976, and the general feeling of cold and the smoking chimneys suggest the winter of 1975/76.

It certainly doesn't look like a wooden cabin in imminent need of replacing in steel, so my guess is 1975 is unlikely to be true. 

I think you are spot on with the winter of 1975/76 based upon a couple of details.

In the top photograph there are visible pieces of broken ice between the boats, and in the next photograph again the water looks to be frozen combined with the stern of ASH being visible alongside GRACE - in the blue of Associated Carriers of 1975 :captain:

• 1 year later...