OTLEY

pete harrison

Featured Posts

15 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

sounds like you prefer evolution, it makes for an interesting boat, everything less than 75 years old torn off and returned to the 30s sounds like a recipe for sterility.

I like to think I take a pragmatic approach. If something needs replacing then consideration should be given to doing it as it was as built. If something is historically incorrect but of a satisfactory appearance and condition then why change it until it has to be changed. I am of the opinion that it is the museums duty to preserve or carry out historically correct restorations and the owners duty to do what suits them at the time :captain:

Edited by pete harrison

On 07/02/2018 at 19:14, Graham_Robinson said:

Are you going back to wood gunwales ?

Yes,from back bulkhead forrad.

Corollas in for gunnels too.

Perhaps we should buy a tree between us!:D

I have a floating tree! But you can only have the gunnels!

• 1 month later...

Something else I thought I would never want - a W.J. Yarwood & Sons Ltd. builders plate - the small version that goes on the pigeon box.

I have had some communication with 'fittie' as he had some cast a while ago, but unfortunately they are all sold, so does anybody else have one up for grabs :captain:

7 minutes ago, Ray T said:

Would "Casper Ghost" be able to help? I believe he has cast  various plates in the past. He hasn't posted on  here for a good while now but occasionally appears on The Facebook version of CWDF.

I will bear this in mind, but at present I am hoping to acquire a builders plate that is already made and gathering dust having not been fitted to a boat :captain:

On 28/01/2018 at 22:50, pete harrison said:

Before speculation goes any further and gets me into trouble I thought it time to make an announcement:

On 07 October 2017 I entered an agreement with the owners of OTLEY, and all being well we are planning the handover of ownership to take place on 07 April 2018.

My plan is to then bring OTLEY to the midlands for refurbishment work :captain:

A landmark day today as OTLEY has now been issued with a Boat Safety Scheme Certificate, the first step in getting it back onto the canals.

Next will be insurance, but as I have not yet had OTLEY docked / surveyed this will have to be Third Party in the short(ish) term - any recommendations ?

:captain:

Yes, I was insured through Basic Boat, though you have to remember it is a very basic insurance against third party claims only,  it does not cover loss in any way. Best read their policy for details. Even so, at less than half the price of even the lowest quotes elsewhere, it's a bit of a bolt hole to meet basic legalities. It certainly met our needs.

• 5 weeks later...
On 29/01/2018 at 09:05, Ray T said:

Well done, piccy's please.....

The Historic Narrow Boat Club have recently updated their website details for OTLEY, along with two photographs showing how it looks now - well in 2012 and 2016 but it has not changed much.

http://hnbc.org.uk/boats/otley

I am not able to reproduce these images as this organisation protects its website :captain:

46 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

The Historic Narrow Boat Club have recently updated their website details for OTLEY, along with two photographs showing how it looks now - well in 2012 and 2016 but it has not changed much.

http://hnbc.org.uk/boats/otley

I am not able to reproduce these images as this organisation protects its website :captain:

Will you be keeping the fenders, Pete?

18 minutes ago, billybobbooth said:

then i can more than likly get you a copy.

All donations will be gratefully received.

edit = both images now added to my collection, with copyright details of course. Thank you 'zenataomm' :captain:

Edited by pete harrison

8 hours ago, zenataomm said:

All I did was search generally on Giggle until I finally found them as public access files.

It is quite simple to view where the page loads the files from and access them directly.

otley-2012-n-grundy.jpg

otley-2016-r-booth.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

OTLEY has now been recovered back onto the canals, making its way north via the River Thames and Oxford Canal over the past few days. The engine did not miss a beat and it passed through the deformed lock at Napton with little more than a shudder, i.e. no flushing required and under its own power but it was very tight.

OTLEY is now tied up in the midlands awaiting renovation :captain:

• Greenie 2
  • Happy 1

6 hours ago, zenataomm said:

Hearty good news Pete, I can only imagine how pleased you may feel.

I too am in the midlands and awaiting renovation.

so what about your boat zenataomm you not going to renovate that as well?

• Greenie 1