Featured Posts

Twenty seven years ago I sold a boat having previously suggested, not entirely tongue in cheek, that I would be carried off the cut in a box.

I'm now living in a four bedroom bungalow that is driving me bonkers and get all gooey whenever I wander into Worcester and see the boats around Diglis Basin. I'd like to move back onto a narrowboat ( I'd prefer to move to Grundarfjordur in Iceland, but that s way out of my price range )  but, staid person that I have become.... would like to seriously chat to someone who is living aboard their boat as I realise a lot has changed since the heady days when I used to untie on a Friday to go moor in Camden for another wild weekend at Dingwalls .

I'm interested to find about about the availablity and cost of moorings, fuel costs, insurance, and ... oh! what it is to grow old and mature?... the quality of 'phone/internet reception on the cut.

Thank you

Edited by Michael1987

Sorry to say you have missed the boat as it were big time! ... gone are the days of choosing whether to have a bsc or not and mooring anywhere without a section 8 in sight ... now it costs as much as a house but boats depreciate rather than appreciating in value unlike houses , you are stuck on tickover as so many boats are moored along the canals then you will be pushed to find a space for anything over 30' at a push unless its miles from anywhere useful .....hate it all with a passion 

Ok in reality its absolute bliss wake up everyday thinking just how lucky i am and any downsides are very soon forgotten if you love canals, boats, wildlife and freedom, do it yesterday! :) 

Rick

We sold up fed up on 2005 it's all over after 25 years on the cut. Emigrated 'we will never retire on a boat'

creep back started in 2011 , by 2012 we had ' summer boat' by 2017 we were on her 7 months ( and had summer jobs in australia) now we count ourselves as uk resident on the boat...

if it's in your blood you will overcome the changes especially if you have tried the dark side 

If you can do all the work and repairs etc and live on the fringes of compliance with all the rules and regs you will be fine. If you slavishly follow every notice, rule, and bylaw and expect marina conveniences and to be able to have all the mod cons of a suburban house then you will struggle. 'Twas ever so. Personally  I could not manage without a shed. Oh and somewhere to park. And just look at all that mud. And the b****** telly won't work. Batteries flat again. *Sigh* getting old.

• Greenie 1

Depends on how you want to live  and how you are health wise . Marina for the winter is an option some take, us included .. most winters , mainly due to work commitments  ( husband 75 and still likes his job ) we also marina hop a bit in the summer for the same reason . You could find a full time residential mooring ( not easy ) or you could continuous cruise, see crts rules for guidance  . Costings ... depends on how you want to live and can afford . For us we equate it to living in a small 2 bed house . Then add on the extras , moorings , breakdown cover (rcr), if like us we dont fiddle ,  and fund for larger breakdowns . We opted for a gold licence this year as we will be further 'down south ' just shy of 1300pds ( 62ft boat ) . The water tank blacking and boat safety last year 1700pds ( needed a bit of work ) Engine re build( beta 43 12k hours ) and webasto service/mend 2014 6500k . Our boat is a Reading Marine 2005 build, ours from new , we have booked her in for a re paint Aug2020 8k plus she will be twin epoxyed , dont know how much, probably have the aqua drive replaced then ( 3rd one ) as she will be out of the water . Batteries are 4 years old glass mat , just in warranty. On our 3rd domestic water pump ( carry spare and spare alternators) . But its not all doom and gloom....its a way of life, and I for one love it . Bunny 

I can't see why not, check out the Youtube for vlogs which cover all the pros and cons as I do.

Estimated running costs are around £5Kpa, but it can be half that: I am assuming you don't want to live in a posh marina which is £3K  on top.

Boats cost most when brand spankng new, and deprecate most in the first few years. Widebeams are popular as liveaboards, but probably best to buy a good secondhand narrowboat and travel around, see how it goes.

I am oap, and  probably a bit mad giving up the bricks and mortar existance, but you're a long time dead, and from what you say, you can reverse the process if it does not suit .

Someone on here pointed out that if I struggled on a NB due to health issues,  I would also struggle in a house,  which is true, but realistically, life is easier in a house. I should point out that though I have fair bit of boat experience I have little  on UK canals, my main motivation is travel and adventure, as much as can be expected at my age.

Edited by LadyG

if it's in your blood you will overcome the changes especially if you have tried the dark side 

Many thanks for all the input... judging by a couple of the comments I guess I did have the best of it...

:-)

She loved painting boats, but not living on one.

Edited by Michael1987