'Batteries on the web' - anybody used them?

Richardcn

Featured Posts

Hi all

Has anybody bought batteries from 'Batteries on the Web' (Pellon Tyre and Auto Centre - Halifax)?

The reviews that I've found seem pretty good and their US2200's seem extremely well priced, so much so that I'm being tempted away from the T105's (from a different supplier) that were originally top of my list. Prices include vat and delivery, which I really wasn't expecting but it is stated on the website, although not in an obvious place.

Our house batteries are now almost completely shot and having thoroughly learned the ropes (mainly but not exclusively from this forum) on the cheapos that came with the boat 3+ years ago, I'm now ready to get something more suited to our needs as (relatively recent) liveaboards. We have a tweaked (14.4-14.8v) Adverc, 100a (14.4v) and 30a (14.4/14.7/15.5v) chargers from suitcase generator and 500W of solar (fully tweakable mppt) and Tri-Metric battery monitor so hopefully, with the gleaned knowledge, we're ready for the 'upgrade'.

Any experiences of this seller would be really appreciated.

Richard

Trustpilot:

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/batteriesontheweb.co.uk

As for the batts they're comparable to Trojans, plenty of info on their website:

http://usbattery.com/

If you do use them please let us know how it went.

With new batts I'd give them as full a charge as poss then record the specific gravities and acid levels, and if poss the 'resting voltage' for future reference.

1 hour ago, smileypete said:

With new batts I'd give them as full a charge as poss then record the specific gravities and acid levels, and if poss the 'resting voltage' for future reference.

Ah yes that sounds like a great idea Pete, thanks.

1 hour ago, Nightwatch said:

We don't have Trojans not US batteries but we found ABS were superb in service,delivery and communication. Prise was also competitive.

I was a little confused at what you were saying until I read it the third time. I assume you mean Advanced Battery Services (ABS)? I looked at them but they didn't seem competitive even with a 5% discount that I can get.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Richard

Btw, if not Trojans nor US Batteries what did you have?

Edited by Richardcn

30 minutes ago, Richardcn said:

Ah yes that sounds like a great idea Pete, thanks.

I was a little confused at what you were saying until I read it the third time. I assume you mean Advanced Battery Services (ABS)? I looked at them but they didn't seem competitive even with a 5% discount that I can get.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Richard

Btw, if not Trojans nor US Batteries what did you have?

4x bog standard 110amp hr batteries. We didn't buy the cheapest but a grade or two upwards.

Just an update on my battery order.

I checked out 'Batteries on the Web' as far as I could and was satisfied enough to consider ordering. However, I then remembered that one of the big suppliers did a price match so I thought I'd reduce my 'risk' by ordering with them instead. Anyway it turned out that it was Tayna (who I'd always mispronounced as Tanya until my wife corrected me yesterday) that have a 'price match guarantee' so I approached them with my 'deal'. They considered it but declined, I quote:

"Unfortunately, in that instance we can not match "batteriesontheweb" prices.

We send those batteries on palletised freight and and not in individual parcels which add to the overall cost."

I persisted, airing my disappointment and asking them for their best price but they countered with this, I quote:

"Thank you for your response.

For the US2200 batteries delivered to that postcode it would be a total of £311.89.

Now as my colleague has mentioned we do not match that particular company amongst another 2 companies as we find that when unit prices have gone up like the US have recently, they still retain a far cheaper price, which as we've experienced, always indicates they are retaining very old stock."

Sales talk I concluded but I contacted Batteries on the Web with the relevant questions about their stock, Manu dates, fill dates etc and they assured me that their stock is no more than 6 months old and batteries are only filled prior to despatch. Whether this is true or not remains to be seen but I've no reason to doubt it so I've ordered two US2200XC DT (dual terminal) this evening.

I'll update this thread once I've got them and have checked them out, which may be a few days as I'm having them delivered to a relative. Unless I've been lied to £122.50 each seems a wholly reasonable price compared to other suppliers at the moment. No doubt somebody will find a better deal somewhere though ;)

Richard

Edited by Richardcn
Grandma

23 minutes ago, Richardcn said:

For the US2200 batteries delivered to that postcode it would be a total of £311.89.

I’m confused by this. Just checking Tayna’s advertised price on the web with no haggling shows US2200’s at £136.95 each plus £10.38 delivery. That makes two of them £294.66 delivered, with no discount. So where does £311.89 come from?

https://www.tayna.co.uk/US2200-Deep-Cycle-Monobloc-Battery-P4117.html

Edited by WotEver

1 minute ago, WotEver said:

I’m confused by this. Just checking Tayna’s advertised price on the web with no haggling shows US2200’s at £136.95 each plus £10.38 delivery. That makes two of them £294.66 delivered, with no discount. So where does £311.89 come from?

https://www.tayna.co.uk/US2200-Deep-Cycle-Monobloc-Battery-P4117.html

Ha ha well spotted! I didn't but I knew that it wasn't anywhere near my target price so I bowed out at that point. I was tempted to ask 'Tanya' what evidence they could supply to support their claims about "...very old stock..." though.

Richard

On 28/01/2018 at 17:56, Richardcn said:

That sounds very promising, any further info?

Richard

This was the web site:

http://solarwindturbinebatteries.co.uk/products-page/new-cells-ipzsepzshpsz-2v-cells/

A click reveals that the account has been suspended :( Not sure if there is a new web site, or if they were cheap because it was a scam, or something else. Shame I cant recall the name of the firm.

YES I've used them (Batteries on the web/Pelion) twice for bulk buys and can't praise them highly enough the service is great and they will deliver to your boat if you need them to and even in my case on a Sunday! - Varta Hobby (28?) is my go to battery of choice.

Edited by Halsey