BCN Toll Islands

john6767

Featured Posts

I was given a book for my birthday, Canal Mania by Anthony Burton, it’s self it is actuall an old publication from 1993.  The most interesting thing is that it contains a photograph of a BCN toll island, I believe the one at Wilson Green. The toll island is in pristine condition complete with the building, railings etc.  I don’t believe I have seen a picture like that before.  Are there other pictures around of the toll islands in their original working condition?

I've hot several books showing pictures. Some with the toll house just in the background. Without going through every one, I have about 12, try these two. 

Ray Shills "Birmingham Canals" 

Robert Davies "Birmingham Canals Through Time" I think 

As you cruise under the bridge to Coronation Gardens at Tipton in the garde  on the left is a perfect hexagonal base of a toll house. 

40 minutes ago, john6767 said:

I was given a book for my birthday, Canal Mania by Anthony Burton, it’s self it is actuall an old publication from 1993.  The most interesting thing is that it contains a photograph of a BCN toll island, I believe the one at Wilson Green. The toll island is in pristine condition complete with the building, railings etc.  I don’t believe I have seen a picture like that before.  Are there other pictures around of the toll islands in their original working condition?

I have some in a book somewhere, I'll have a dig

Richard

23 minutes ago, pearley said:

Looks like Bromford. 

Certainly Bromford, the only other one with that shape island I think is at Dudley Port.

looks to be after it had stopped being used.

Edited by john6767

I would like to scan and post the photo from the book, but am a bit wary of copyright.

the context is shown in this image from Wikipedia, the photo in the book is taken from the middle of the turnover bridge looking down on the island, the toll house is there, there are railings round the inside of the U shape, and a man is leaning on the railings.  There is also some from of gantry across the canal to the toll house at roof level, would that possibly be water/electricity or what?

800px-Winson_Green_Junction_toll_island.

1 hour ago, RLWP said:

The arm and bridge on the right have gone

Blue Book identifies it as the Parker Branch. OS map shows Broadwell Forge on one side and Oldbury Railway Wagon and Carriage Works on the other. 

• Greenie 1

18 minutes ago, john6767 said:

I would like to scan and post the photo from the book, but am a bit wary of copyright.

the context is shown in this image from Wikipedia, the photo in the book is taken from the middle of the turnover bridge looking down on the island, the toll house is there, there are railings round the inside of the U shape, and a man is leaning on the railings.  There is also some from of gantry across the canal to the toll house at roof level, would that possibly be water/electricity or what?

Looking at the Wikipedia page the other picture is not captioned correctly, showing a hexagonal toll house at Smethwick Top lock without explaining it is a replica, or that the original toll house here was square. 

4 hours ago, john6767 said:

1854 BCN Challange 29 May 2011.jpg

1855 BCN Challange 29 May 2011.jpg

11 hours ago, pearley said:

As you cruise under the bridge to Coronation Gardens at Tipton in the garde  on the left is a perfect hexagonal base of a toll house. 

If I remember correctly the 'Toll House' that stood on that base was taken down and crated up with the intention of being rebuilt at the Black Country Museum :captain:

11 hours ago, pete harrison said:

If I remember correctly the 'Toll House' that stood on that base was taken down and crated up with the intention of being rebuilt at the Black Country Museum :captain:

When I started reading this thread I did think the BCLM would be a better place for one than Smethwick Top lock. They've just announced a large expansion, maybe it will happen. 

I have always assumed that the large notches in the ends of most toll islands were to hold a couple of boats out of the way without obstructing other traffic, possibly relevant if boats turned up with incorrect paperwork etc.

Does anyone know if my assumption is correct?

George