London, escape rent, buy a boat

astalweeks

Featured Posts

Big article in today's  Torygraph property section all about buying a boat and living in london. The lady says it's all very easy and saving her a shed load of money. I wonder if this is an idea which will catch on, even CRT are quoted as saying it is a good idea. I would like to add a link but there doesn't appear to be one yet.

48 minutes ago, astalweeks said:

Big article in today's  Torygraph property section all about buying a boat and living in london. The lady says it's all very easy and saving her a shed load of money. I wonder if this is an idea which will catch on, even CRT are quoted as saying it is a good idea. I would like to add a link but there doesn't appear to be one yet.

Theres never a good reason to live in London. Having a boat means you can escape the dump.

• Greenie 1

On 27/01/2018 at 17:47, astalweeks said:

I wonder if this is an idea which will catch on,

Feck moi, what do you mean 'catch on'? It caught on ten years ago and the canals in London are now STUFFED with liveaboards or so I came to decide when I went there once. 

Reminds me of the Reading MP Tony Durant when he commented recently that "it is beginning to look as though the internet is going to catch on"

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Theres never a good reason to live in London. Having a boat means you can escape the dump.

I've just read the article and thought it was quite well balanced, for it's type.

"I've also spent months living out of the city.......in the Colne Valley and Cassiobury Park........It is in these areas that it became apparent that one of the best things about living on a boat in London is not being able to moor in the most desirable central areas.........but the freedom to pull the ropes and move to thecountryside for a while when the urge takes you."

And

"Boat living can be a fantastic way of life but it comes with challenges. It's almost like a part-time job"

Toilets and their associated problems, both PO and cassette, are mentioned as is having to move every 14 days. (Although she writes that she has "already inadvertently fallen foul of the rules")

And not a single mention of 'water gypsies' or 'gaily painted barges'

Edited by Victor Vectis

6 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

There's never a good reason to read the Torygraph, either.

Agreed. I NEVER read any newspaper, havnt bought one for over twenty years. Strange thing is with them that people only buy their faveourite so called newspaper that only reinforces their own opinions so they never see the bigger picture.

2 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

There's never a good reason to read the Torygraph, either.

Interesting thought but one I disagree with.

I have spent most of my life working for, and promoting railfreight and yet I am an avid reader of all things connected with road haulage.

Understanding your opponent is half the battle.

George

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Victor Vectis said:

Time spent in reconnaissance is seldom wasted.

:ninja:

My dear friend who like me is in no way religious has read fully the bible and all the other weirdo books of each different society of imaginary friends. I once in passing asked him why he had read them to which he replied " Know thine enemy " same difference as it were.

Perhaps living on a narrowboat may even be more appropriate for non-enthusiasts? Living aboard means that the 'canal life' would likely become 'normal life' and I bet most of us enthusiasts see the canal (whichever way we use it) as an escape from the stress and dullness of everyday normal life. I've harboured thoughts from time to time about buying a longer steel boat to live on, but this has always been one of the main worries; that the whole concept of it becomes 'normal', or even worse a chore.

Edited by Philip

2 hours ago, Philip said:

Perhaps living on a narrowboat may even be more appropriate for non-enthusiasts? Living aboard means that the 'canal life' would likely become 'normal life' and I bet most of us enthusiasts see the canal (whichever way we use it) as an escape from the stress and dullness of everyday normal life. I've harboured thoughts from time to time about buying a longer steel boat to live on, but this has always been one of the main worries; that the whole concept of it becomes 'normal', or even worse a chore.

i can see the logic to this train of thought . For me this hasn t happened yet . Ive lived aboard now for 5 years and yet i will still often sit on my sofa in the morning  with a cuppa , look around the interior & out the windows  and think to myself " bloody hell - i live on a boat ... how cool is that ! " . I really dont see that changing either . 

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Philip said:

In a way you are right. It does become normal life. A far nicer normal life than being tied down to one place in a building. Its never a chore but I suppose that depends on each persons views of what is a chore? For me having to top the water tank up is a lesser chore than paying a mortgage than many peoples daily grind consists of. For instance you can buy a cracking liveaboard for 50k and most parts of the country no house for 50k so once the boat is paid for you can have a life, after all if you have a mortgage you havnt got a life you only think you have.