4LW starting/stopping

jenevers

Featured Posts

I’ve always started and stopped my 4LW by going into the engine room and manually sliding the linkage that connects to the stopping lever.

I have a starter motor button on the engine and an emergency pull stop control on deck but there’s too much play in the cable to return the linkage to the “start” position. Do other Gardner users have a remote start button and push the stop control back into “start” position? Is that the standard method? 

3 minutes ago, jenevers said:

I’ve always started and stopped my 4LW by going into the engine room and manually sliding the linkage that connects to the stopping lever.

I have a starter motor button on the engine and an emergency pull stop control on deck but there’s too much play in the cable to return the linkage to the “start” position. Do other Gardner users have a remote start button and push the stop control back into “start” position? Is that the standard method? 

Our 2LW starts with a key and stops with a pull lever, both situated near the (morse) throttle control. Perhaps if there is too much play on your stop control, a boatyard could adjust it.

46 minutes ago, jenevers said:

Same here.  There is a remote engine stop which works when pulled but the routing/quality of the cable does not allow it to return by itself.  Good enough in an emergency situation but for day to day I do the same as you, not least to make sure it is back in the right position before trying to restart it.

1 hour ago, GRLMK38 said:

Same here.  There is a remote engine stop which works when pulled but the routing/quality of the cable does not allow it to return by itself.  Good enough in an emergency situation but for day to day I do the same as you, not least to make sure it is back in the right position before trying to restart it.

Yes that’s the same with my cable. Too much play to push back fully. One day I’ll get a proper Morse cable.

Do you always start on full compression btw. I tend to spin the starter on decompression for a couple of seconds then pull the decompression lever over. Don’t know whether that’s kinder to the battery or not.

53 minutes ago, jenevers said:

Yes that’s the same with my cable. Too much play to push back fully. One day I’ll get a proper Morse cable.

Do you always start on full compression btw. I tend to spin the starter on decompression for a couple of seconds then pull the decompression lever over. Don’t know whether that’s kinder to the battery or not.

I have a 3LW with electric start and no decompression levers so it's always full compression.  Using the cold start button on the fuel pump it starts in 2-3 turns using just a standard 12v starter battery.

• 3 weeks later...