CRT Not To Get EA Navigations, Yet

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

IWA Press Release:

IWA is extremely disappointed to hear from the Environment Agency that Defra has been unable to agree CRT’s recent proposal for taking over the navigations run by EA. At a meeting earlier this week, the Defra Minister with responsibility for the Waterways, Dr Therese Coffey, informed IWA representatives that the transfer was still being considered subject to further talks to refine CRT’s proposals. IWA believes that these matters should be capable of resolution and that a transfer of EA navigations remains the best way to ensure the future of these waterways with the minimum impact on the public purse. In line with the recent advice received from the Minister, IWA urges Defra and CRT to continue negotiations towards a mutually acceptable solution.

Dear National Navigation User Forum Members,

Over the past few years we’ve had fruitful and positive discussions with the Canal & River Trust and Government about whether, and if so under what terms, the Environment Agency’s navigation responsibilities might be transferred to the Trust. 

CRT recently submitted their proposed terms for taking over our navigation responsibilities to Government. Ministers have considered the proposals and decided not to proceed with any transfer at the present time; however, they wish to keep the option open and return to it when they feel the time is right.

We in the Environment Agency will continue to concentrate on ensuring we run our navigations as efficiently as possible, including looking at new ways to raise revenue and engaging with our boating customers over our charges review.  We and CRT will continue to cooperate actively in the running of our respective navigations to ensure the best possible experience for all river and canal users.

Kind Regards

Mark Ormrod

E&B Manager, Navigation

•  

25 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Thank god for that. I can see our wonderful rivers going down the pan and hitting rock bottom as the canals have if Cart ever get their hands on them.

True, but at least the licencing issue would be solved, by all waterways adopting the Thames licence fee model. ;)

• Happy 1

6 minutes ago, Tuscan said:

Perhaps Defra has realised that the promised additional revenue to be generated by the partnerships and ‘friends’ has not materialised to replace the existing government funding for the canals let alone EA waters. 

Surely that would make it likely that CRT want even more money to take over the EA waters.

Perhaps the powers to be realise that the "Moorings Enforcement Cowboys" they have both tried to utilise are so incompetent in their signage and legal knowledge that no additional income will be forthcoming regardless of how many official looking Corex signs they cable tie to lamp posts and bollards across both networks.

EA is about flood protection, with a navigation responsibility, CRT is about maintaining and preserving navigation. Both of these are straying so far from their core tasks that neither can be taken as a good foundation for progress or continuity.

Reading between the lines of both press releases: CART want more money than DEFRA have got and EA won't/can't make up the difference.  Ministerial and Civil Service solution therefore to kick whole thing into long grass.

As suggested above DEFRA probablyalso have an eye on the future when the current grant structure ends and can see a need for money coming up.

IMHO a damn good thing.  CART can't manage what they have now.

N

• Happy 1

26 minutes ago, BEngo said:

IMHO a damn good thing.  CART can't manage what they have now.

I think that C&RT just have an unnaturally strong wish for power and control, and the belief that they are much more important, powerful and influential than they really are.

In short, as an organisation, they are megalomaniacs.

Urban Dictionary definition of megalomaniac may define them further :

A psychopathological condition characterized by delusional fantasies of wealth, power, or omnipotence. A ghetto superstar trying to "live ghetto fabulous while driving a Honda CRX with a tin can exhaust".

As a business man I was always taught to 'do what you do well before trying to add something new', a lesson that C&RT could do with learning.

59 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I think that C&RT just have an unnaturally strong wish for power and control, and the belief that they are much more important, powerful and influential than they really are.

In short, as an organisation, they are megalomaniacs.

Urban Dictionary definition of megalomaniac may define them further :

A psychopathological condition characterized by delusional fantasies of wealth, power, or omnipotence. A ghetto superstar trying to "live ghetto fabulous while driving a Honda CRX with a tin can exhaust".

As a business man I was always taught to 'do what you do well before trying to add something new', a lesson that C&RT could do with learning.

It is far from clear to me that CaRT were making a power bid. It felt much more that they were 'invited' to bid as part of a political move. Most likely, some politician felt that it would save money/reduce taxation and therefore must be 'a good thing'. Since they would not listen to expert advice (the next worst thing to heresy) the bid had to proceed just in order to spell out the implications. Now that they are on the table, the politicians have turned tail and run scared. What's more, we seem not to be trusted to know the real reasons why they have turned it down. I don't for one minute believe that it is because local users complained about CaRT's performance. Unless, of course, someone discovered that their marginal seat was at risk . . .  (and no, I'm not a cynic!)

Has there ever been any thoughts on the EA taking over from CaRT when the 10 year term finishes? Having experienced EA Navigations both up here in Yorkshire and on the Thames it's pretty obvious their standards are quite a lot higher than CaRT's.

• Greenie 1

Having moored on the Middle Levels for a couple of years, I had to use the Nene to move between mooring and canal network.  I found that, for a marginally lower licence fee, there was a marked shortage of EA facilities, compared to CaRT waterways.  Scarce moorings, infrequent water taps and pump-outs, and no elsan disposal.  I rather hoped a CaRT takeover would start to address that situation.  Oh well, looks like my next Nene trip will be much as before.

5 minutes ago, Marshian said:

Having moored on the Middle Levels for a couple of years, I had to use the Nene to move between mooring and canal network.  I found that, for a marginally lower licence fee, there was a marked shortage of EA facilities, compared to CaRT waterways.  Scarce moorings, infrequent water taps and pump-outs, and no elsan disposal.  I rather hoped a CaRT takeover would start to address that situation.  Oh well, looks like my next Nene trip will be much as before.

You're quite right about the lack of facilities EA provides on the Nene and we are facing a 7.5% licence hike but if you join Friends of the River Nene, for the princely sum of £10/yr, you will be able to have the choice of many more moorings on your next visit.

13 hours ago, matty40s said:

EA is about flood protection, with a navigation responsibility, CRT is about maintaining and preserving navigation. Both of these are straying so far from their core tasks that neither can be taken as a good foundation for progress or continuity.

Excellent point, well made. CRT has only been with us for a few years but like BW before them seem not to have a coherent vision.  In terms of 'maintaining and preserving navigation' they recognise, as we all do, that this requires a considerable amount of money.  Sadly however, it increasingly seems to boaters, arguably the group with the greatest personal investment in the 'navigation',  that this outcome has been translated into 'make money'. However this is a strategy and should not be seen as the objective. Selling assets, allowing overdevelopment along the canals which creates urbanised environments, resisting neighbourhood plans that seek to protect the greenness of the canal corridor, as happened in Woughton  (Milton Keynes) neighbourhood plan, ignoring day to day maintenance, all seem counter productive to 'maintaining and preserving the navigation.'   

Yes,

36 minutes ago, wandering snail said:

You're quite right about the lack of facilities EA provides on the Nene and we are facing a 7.5% licence hike but if you join Friends of the River Nene, for the princely sum of £10/yr, you will be able to have the choice of many more moorings on your next visit.

Yes, I always join FoTRN when on the Nene.  My point was that, for the licence fee charged, the FoTRN moorings should provide a useful alternative to adequate EA moorings.  As it is, they're a necessity!

Edited by Marshian
Misspelling/pedantry

I think it is worth remembering that when CRT was set up the long term intention was always to transfer EA navigations to them.  So I suspect some of what is going here is reviewing to see if that long term aim makes sense at the moment (A: it seems not, speculation on the reasons above but it would be good to see an official explanation). It will be interesting to see if the long term policy objective changes (eg because the facts have changed...).  

It is true that there are fewer facilities on the Nene and Ouse compared with the canals (though the locks are in excellent condition). For me, that is part of the attraction... 

17 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

I think it is worth remembering that when CRT was set up the long term intention was always to transfer EA navigations to them.  So I suspect some of what is going here is reviewing to see if that long term aim makes sense at the moment (A: it seems not, speculation on the reasons above but it would be good to see an official explanation). It will be interesting to see if the long term policy objective changes (eg because the facts have changed...).  

It is true that there are fewer facilities on the Nene and Ouse compared with the canals (though the locks are in excellent condition). For me, that is part of the attraction... 

The manual wheels are a PITA!

14 minutes ago, Marshian said:

The manual wheels are a PITA!

I don't find them too bad, certainly easier to operate than many gates on the Grand Union. It's hard to see that CRT, rather than EA, would attach a higher priority to installing an electricity supply to the remaining six locks. For locks and gates dating from the 1930s I think they are in remarkably good condition!

20 minutes ago, Marshian said:

Agree they're in good nick, I'd just prefer to press a button than turn a wheel 250 times, but then, I'm  lazy s*d!  So saying, those wheels get a bit heavy for the last few upward turns :-(

EA started to electrify the remaining locks - and some **** stole the batteries and solar panels......

7 minutes ago, Marshian said:

I'd think, with EA's resources, they could anticipate this, and secure these items at the first stage of installation

Maybe for the control boxes and batteries, but the panels are difficult to protect without spending a whole lot of cash - which the EA don't have... (well not to spend on a small market)

Looks like I'll have to reconcile myself to wheel winding for the foreseeable...  Thing is, there's a paucity of moorings compared to other waterways, including the Gt Ouse.  Then there's the lack of other facilities.  My boat would cost c£600 pa to licence for EA Anglia region; c£700 for CaRT.  The difference in facilities suggests to me that a proportionate EA fee should be maybe £250?

Edited by Marshian
incomplete
  • Greenie 1