Heat resistant gloves

blackrose

Featured Posts

I don't have a Tippy ash carrier - I did look at them but they don't make them big enough for my stove's ash tray, so I sometimes have to carry a tray of hot ashes outside to empty. Hitherto I was using a welding glove, but it's just a piece of leather and the heat soon gets through to your hand. Has anyone else tried these? They're amazing. Highly recommended.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B076FXXQKJ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Glad it's of use. I thought others might like to know. They seem to range in price from about £11 to about £18. They looked like the same things to me so I just got the cheapest ones and they're excellent.

They can be worn either on the right or left hand, so I've got one glove by the stove and one by the oven. I won't bother using my oven glove again.

Edited by blackrose

2 hours ago, blackrose said:

I don't have a Tippy ash carrier - I did look at them but they don't make them big enough for my stove's ash tray, so I sometimes have to carry a tray of hot ashes outside to empty. Hitherto I was using a welding glove, but it's just a piece of leather and the heat soon gets through to your hand. Has anyone else tried these? They're amazing. Highly recommended.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B076FXXQKJ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Humph, wish I'd known about those before I shelled out for Lakeland Nomura ones. Just be aware that if, like the Lakeland ones, they are a knitted fabric, hot water will go straight through and destroy the protection.

Don't  ask me how I know this ... :angry:

1 hour ago, BruceinSanity said:

Humph, wish I'd known about those before I shelled out for Lakeland Nomura ones. Just be aware that if, like the Lakeland ones, they are a knitted fabric, hot water will go straight through and destroy the protection.

Don't  ask me how I know this ... :angry:

Yes I don't think they'd be any good with hot water. Aren't you supposed to use rubber washing up gloves for that? 

Edited by blackrose

7 hours ago, Phoenix_V said:

would they be any good as welding gloves?

I'm not sure, but i doubt it. They're meant for picking up hot things, whereas welding gloves keep the burning welding spatter off your hands and forearms. What's wrong with using leather welding gloves? 

Edited by blackrose

9 hours ago, blackrose said:

Yes I don't think they'd be any good with hot water. Aren't you supposed to use rubber washing up gloves for that? 

It's lifting a roasting tin full of juices out of the oven and letting it tip that's the danger. The juices run over the edge of the pan and into your palm.

I admit I seem to be getting even more cack-handed as the years go by. :blush:

29 minutes ago, BruceinSanity said:

It's lifting a roasting tin full of juices out of the oven and letting it tip that's the danger. The juices run over the edge of the pan and into your palm.

I admit I seem to be getting even more cack-handed as the years go by. :blush:

Serious tip - have a lot less liquid in the roasting tin. You only need a smidjin to stop it completely drying out then deglaze the pan on the stove top with water/stock/wine once the meat has been removed. 

4 hours ago, WotEver said:

Serious tip - have a lot less liquid in the roasting tin. You only need a smidjin to stop it completely drying out then deglaze the pan on the stove top with water/stock/wine once the meat has been removed. 

This would be my normal practice. I think on this occasion I'd had a cover over it for some reason, no added water, just juices emerging from the meat.

The alternative is to use a roasting bag to keep everything in, though not if you like your BCBs (Burnt Crispy Bits).

1 hour ago, BruceinSanity said:

The alternative is to use a roasting bag to keep everything in, though not if you like your BCBs (Burnt Crispy Bits).

And crackling. You have to have crackling. 

If it’s pork ;)

• Happy 1