Terry Badcock - boat builder, looking for any information!

Lunamoon

Featured Posts

Hello, 

i am looking for any information on a boat builder with the name Terry Badcock.

I cant find anything in the net other than about 7 boats registered under that builder name in canalplan, all built late 80thies and 90this. Is there anyone out there who can tell me anything about that make? Maybe where the company was located or until when they were active. Every bit of info is very appreciated, iam doing a bit of a jigsaw puzzle here :-)

Hello Lunamoon                Terry worked in Willowbridge yard in the 80's & 90's as a general engineer working on anything that came along.From memory he built around 3 or 4 boats a year  some for order and some on spec ,not much work on build a boat !.  He could turn his hand to any job and was font of imformation on many subjects. His health was not the the best a combination of welding and smoking I think he retired on these grounds in the mid 90"s .Willowbridge was a great yard to keep a boat in at this time Terry worked at one end and Aidie Brindle & Sid at the other with a auto electrician Paul in the middle alone with the spares shop a yard second to none, so much nohow and skill in one place                   Redcap John

Hello John,

thank you very much for this information, a big jigsaw piece for my puzzle. I know the boatyard well and it is good to know that the boat iam investigating at the moment started her life in a place of such knowledge and reputation. Always safe travels, Lunamoon 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again, still researching a boatbuilder with the name Terry Badcock (or Babcock) who worked out of Willowbridge in the 80thies and 90thies (thankx to Redcap John for this information). I found about a dozend boats registered under his name as the boat builder, about half of them under Terry Babcock and the other half under Terry Badcock, i now suspect a typo in half of the cases. Anyone out there who could confirm the correct spelling of his name?? Any help appreciated. Thank you. Lunamoon

• 1 year later...

Dont know if this topic is still live but I also have a Terry Babcock built boat.  Made in 1979 as I understand.  Its a 46 foot trad.  One of 2 he built.  And I have seen the other one in Milton Keynes marina.  I have owned it 25 years.  I wonder how many are still out tjere.

Nairb

18 hours ago, nairb123 said:

Dont know if this topic is still live but I also have a Terry Babcock built boat.  Made in 1979 as I understand.  Its a 46 foot trad.  One of 2 he built.  And I have seen the other one in Milton Keynes marina.  I have owned it 25 years.  I wonder how many are still out tjere.

Nairb

Welcome aboard nairb123

3 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Welcome aboard nairb123

Thanks ditchcrawler, you would have thought after 25 years on the canal I would have joined earlier.

I doubt Terry Babcock (thats how I think its spelt) is still alive now.  He did use to be seen sitting by the canal in Milton Keynes years ago.  I wondered if he ever saw me going past in my(his) boat.  Apparently he stopped making boats during the rescission during the eighties and never got going again when things picked up.   Never a prolific builder but I like the one he made.