Is my engine a 2.2 or 1.8

Billlion

Featured Posts

My boat (not a canal boat, a yacht -- but I used to have live on a canal boat!) has what was described as a Thorycroft 154, ie a BMC 2.2 when I bought it.  I had two spare lift pumps  on board both the same. The ASAP site lists them as fitting the 154. But my engine has the one ASAP says fits the BMC 1.8. Is it possible that mine is a 154 with a different pump or do people think I actually have the 1.8 no the 2.2?  What is the easiest way to tell?  The first pic is one of the two spare pumps (I am selling them if you want one!) the second picure is what my pump (sorry for bad quality). The third picture is the pump in the manual for the 154 that came with the boat. The fourth photo is a better pic of teh pump I think I have, notice the mounting holes on the same level not one up one down and priming lever on outer end of pump not the side.

pump2.jpg

mypump.jpg

liftpup-manual.png

liftpump1.png

Hi Billion

Pics 2 & 4 certainly look like 1.8 to me, never had much to do with the 2.2, however IIRC the rocker cover on these engines is quite different - the 1.8 (& 1.5) usually have a pressed steel rocker cover with the oil filler in between the retaining bolts. wheras the 2.2 has the filler cap at one end outside span of the retaining bolts and appears to usually be cast alloy. A quick google for some images should allow you to identify it

springy

Could even be a 2.5 from the info in the post. I would suggest a photo of the engine would be more help than lift pumps.

I would expect to see the edge of the side plate in the middle photo for either engine but can not. The pump in it was, I think, body wise fitted to both engines mentioned when built by BMC but when third party parts were needed its hard to identify an engine form just the pump body.

3 minutes ago, Billlion said:

Here is the engine just about to be lifted out. So from the rocker cover its a 2.2 -- except the lift pump! Not sure if rocker cover is alloy... I think it is chrome plated steel?

Yes, it looks like pressed steel to me and the 2.2 had a cast aluminium one. However the fuel filter is in the correct place for a 2.x

I fear its torch and mirror to the side of the engine under the manifolds and see what characters are cast into the block.

The glowplugs seem to be wired in parallel so unless they have been changed for 12V ones its not a 2.2 but just maybe a 2.5.

15 minutes ago, Billlion said:

Here is the engine just about to be lifted out. So from the rocker cover its a 2.2 -- except the lift pump! Not sure if rocker cover is alloy... I think it is chrome plated steel?

20150323_132524.jpg

Look between No. 2 and 3 Glowplug ,just below Cyl. Head level there should be a number stamped there ,if the Engine is a 2.5 the Number will commence with 25p or 25v .

154 (Cubic Inch) is 2.52 Litres.

The Engine shown is NOT a 1.8

Edited by cereal tiller

The engine number characters were typically punched into that oval aluminium plate that is riveted on below the glowplug but I cant see any characters. It is probably forthwith giving that plate a scrape and rub with abrasive. The big cast in characters are on the other side of the block below the manifold (actually I think they may be on the crankcase part of the block).

That engine looks like a marinised BMC 2.5 to me. Its brother the 2.2 looks very similar, except for the glow plugs noted above, and they are difficult to tell apart unless you have engine number. The 1.5 & 1.8 look different to these, and their injector pumps are located differently.

Don't place too much store by the material of the rocker covers, plenty of 2.2 and 2.5 have the pressed steel rocker covers similar to their smaller siblings, especially in ex-vehicle engines, I would say the nice cast types are in the minority. Similarly, the location of the oil filler cap varies with application, again, vehicle engines had all different types! I have even had one of the "lying on it's side" type from one model of BMC van where the engine lay horizontally under the cab floor, that had some weird accessories!

• Greenie 1