Seagull IV Cartridge

BruceinSanity

Featured Posts

I've been used to paying around 65 squids for a replacement cartridge for my Seagull IV water filter, usually from that guy at Crick (who wasn't there last year). I've just Googled for one and they seem to be almost unobtainable. Purewateronline has them at £95, or there's a couple of offers on EBay around £55 + postage from the US.

Do I have to bite the bullet and cough up this kind of dosh? It makes the Seagull a very bad buy now.

I'm in exactly the same boat. Pure Water Online lost their contract with the manufacturers, so I'm surprised they're still selling them (old stock, perhaps). Nova Leisure are now the sole UK importers. They don't sell direct to the public - but their website has details of where you can find their dealers. I saw them for £115.00 at Midland Chandlers!

Twenty years ago nearly I fitted one on a new build as they were the bees knees. They are a very good bit of kit but I realised in reality they are too good for what we need in the uk. They are so good they remove poisons and suchlike which is why they were developed for airlines etc that take water on all over the world but for uk based canal boats that standard of filtering simply isn't needed. I drink straight from the tank often but the missus uses one of those britta cartridge jugs for her coffee and cooking. Everything else is straight from the tank.

• Greenie 1

55 minutes ago, bozlite said:

I'm in exactly the same boat. Pure Water Online lost their contract with the manufacturers, so I'm surprised they're still selling them (old stock, perhaps).

Me too.  In the past when I have looked on Pure Water Online's website they have shown no stock. Today they say that my cartridge is available. I have emailed to ask if this is true.

If not they can be ordered directly from General Ecology in the USA.

I'll let you know if I get a response.

53 minutes ago, bozlite said:

I'm in exactly the same boat. Pure Water Online lost their contract with the manufacturers, so I'm surprised they're still selling them (old stock, perhaps). Nova Leisure are now the sole UK importers. They don't sell direct to the public - but their website has details of where you can find their dealers. I saw them for £115.00 at Midland Chandlers!

Thanks, that's useful though most seem to be caravan sales places with moderately useless websites. Wait for Freaky Friday and buy at MC, I guess, or visit some of the leisure places – we have quite a few round here, being on the edge of the Peak District. I note the GE US site is quoting $114, so by the time you've added VAT and import costs, they are not going to be much cheaper than that number in Sterling.

47 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Twenty years ago nearly I fitted one on a new build as they were the bees knees. They are a very good bit of kit but I realised in reality they are too good for what we need in the uk. They are so good they remove poisons and suchlike which is why they were developed for airlines etc that take water on all over the world but for uk based canal boats that standard of filtering simply isn't needed. I drink straight from the tank often but the missus uses one of those britta cartridge jugs for her coffee and cooking. Everything else is straight from the tank.

Fine – you're obviously not married to a biochemist who used to work in a Public Health microbiology lab. :huh:

4 minutes ago, philjw said:

Me too.  In the past when I have looked on Pure Water Online's website they have shown no stock. Today they say that my cartridge is available. I have emailed to ask if this is true.

If not they can be ordered directly from General Ecology in the USA.

I'll let you know if I get a response.

I have a vague memory the PWO had a falling out with GE about the way they were marketing the filters. I'd be interested to know if the ones from the US actually work out cheaper, as I noted above.

• Happy 1

I have the seagull filter fitted, the water is clear without tasting of the clor tabs that we use when filling the tank, but for our cup of tea we need to put it through a britax jug filter before boiling or we end up with scum floating on top of the brew.

Not sure why that would be ....any ideas? . We change the cartridge each year.

1agos

Edited by 1agos
spelling

35 minutes ago, 1agos said:

I have the seagull filter fitted, the water is clear without tasting of the clor tabs that we use when filling the tank, but for our cup of tea we need to put it through a britax jug filter before boiling or we end up with scum floating on top of the brew.

1agos

That's weird :huh: mine used to keep water crystal clear!! Have you googled to find any similar feedback from others?

5 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

That's weird :huh: mine used to keep water crystal clear!! Have you googled to find any similar feedback from others?

Not yet... thought I'd try you guys,

The water is as you say crystal clear and we drink from the tap all the time. It's just the tea( we take it black without sugar) We thought it was the tea bags so changed to a different make but no improvement.. and as I say the britax jug filter gets rid of the scum!! .... very weird eh.

1 hour ago, 1agos said:

1agos

Because the scum is calcium carbonate which in cold water is fully dissolved so passes through the seagull but during boiling comes out of the water making a scum.  The Brita jug is designed to remove dissolved calcium carbonate, so no scum.

• Greenie 2

10 hours ago, Chewbacka said:

Because the scum is calcium carbonate which in cold water is fully dissolved so passes through the seagull but during boiling comes out of the water making a scum.  The Brita jug is designed to remove dissolved calcium carbonate, so no scum.

Thanks for explaining that for us Chewbacka. 

11 hours ago, Chewbacka said:

I recall Paul Melba, the impressionist (remember him?) who had become a tea officionado in order to avoid alcohol, explaining to me that he could tell just by looking at a cup of tea whether it came from bags or loose leaves. He pointed out a film on the surface (not the scum you’re referring to I don’t think) as he told me that you always had this film from the paper of the tea bag. I wasn’t particularly interested as I’m a coffee drinker myself ;)

On 25/01/2018 at 16:04, bozlite said:

Just for information, they're now available from ASAP Supplies too - https://www.asap-supplies.com/seagull-purifier-element-rs-1sg - no cheaper (still £115.00 - with a couple of quid off once you're logged in as a recognised customer) but I do like their service.

2 hours ago, bozlite said:

Just for information, they're now available from ASAP Supplies too - https://www.asap-supplies.com/seagull-purifier-element-rs-1sg - no cheaper (still £115.00 - with a couple of quid off once you're logged in as a recognised customer) but I do like their service.

Thanks for that, always good to have a choice of supplier. Seems like waiting for the next Freaky Friday and stocking up at MC will be the best option.

I have just received an order of two filters from Pure Water on line. These are for a different model, element 400009, and paid £75.00 each. They seem to be the real thing and were delivered very quickly. Interestingly they were supplied with replacement plastic cords which hold the top to the bottom of the bowl FOC.  Pleased to see that they are back selling General Ecology stuff.

They are £91.13 at MC

On 01/02/2018 at 22:46, philjw said:

I have just received an order of two filters from Pure Water on line. These are for a different model, element 400009, and paid £75.00 each. They seem to be the real thing and were delivered very quickly. Interestingly they were supplied with replacement plastic cords which hold the top to the bottom of the bowl FOC.  Pleased to see that they are back selling General Ecology stuff.

They are £91.13 at MC

They now show as out of stock! Be interesting to see if they get any more in as I think they have had a parting of the ways from General Ecology.....sad as I always enjoyed dealing with Harald who ran PureWater. Think more went on with both companies than has been reported...Arleigh are starting to take over everything Boaty & caravan. 

10 hours ago, frangar said:

They now show as out of stock! Be interesting to see if they get any more in as I think they have had a parting of the ways from General Ecology.....sad as I always enjoyed dealing with Harald who ran PureWater. Think more went on with both companies than has been reported...Arleigh are starting to take over everything Boaty & caravan. 

This link (and the press release towards the end of the article) maybe explains why they lost uk distribution rights.

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/portal/purewateronline-lose-distribution-rights-members-refunded/

17 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

This link (and the press release towards the end of the article) maybe explains why they lost uk distribution rights.

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/portal/purewateronline-lose-distribution-rights-members-refunded/

Yes I knew about that article....I have wondered if there was more to it as Harald always struck me as a good chap who had a nice business....seems an odd thing to do and put the whole lot in jeopardy....I’d been dealing with him since the mid 1990’s 

On 25/01/2018 at 20:09, Chewbacka said:

I don't get any scum through my GE Nature Pure filter. I bought 4 replacement cartridges and paid about 50 quid at a boatshow a few years ago but I guess I'm going to have to pay more once I run out. I change them once a year. As a liveaboard I wouldn't be without it.

2 hours ago, frangar said:

Yes I knew about that article....I have wondered if there was more to it as Harald always struck me as a good chap who had a nice business....seems an odd thing to do and put the whole lot in jeopardy....I’d been dealing with him since the mid 1990’s 

IIRC, he was supplying clone canisters at about half the price of the GE ones. As you say, a silly thing to do when dealing with a US company.