Central Heating Fluid

WJM

Featured Posts

I need to change my central heating circulation pump. The boat, and therefore the liquid in the system, is 11 years old now. Should I drain the system and refill with new liquid? Or is it better left as it is?

If I do replace it, I presume it needs water mixed with anti-freeze? Should I use car type anti-freeze or a special type?

If it's 11 years old you may want to refill with water after changing the pump, run for a couple of hours and then empty again to flush the system-and will enable you to check for leaks without wasting antifreeze. A decent corrosion inhibitor would be a worthwhile addition. 

Edited by BWM

14 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Fernox Alphi available from plumbnation. much cheaper then screwfix

Interesting. I just googied Fernox Alpha at Plumbnation and it's about £33 for 5 litres (didn't note VAT or dilution rate]

30 minutes ago, WJM said:

Thanks for the response - another question; very roughly... a back boiler, three radiators and a hot water coil: how much fluid is likely to be in the system? 

Size of radiators, size of back boiler, length and diameter of pipework and then someone may be bothered to work it out for you. Without those dimensions there is no way to get an accurate answer. All boats differ. When you drain it measuring what comes out is probably the easiest way.

8 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Size of radiators, size of back boiler, length and diameter of pipework and then someone may be bothered to work it out for you. Without those dimensions there is no way to get an accurate answer. All boats differ. When you drain it measuring what comes out is probably the easiest way.

Plus header tank. I dont know if radiator manufacturers quote their capacity