Hairbrained scheme

BD3Bill

Featured Posts

I have delved the archive and I do know how annoying a similar thread is but.....

I have picked up a BNIB amorphous 32w panel that was surplus and cheap.

Listen, I can’t draw a diagram of what I propose so bear with me okay, be nice?

Right, as much info as I can then, here goes...

75amp A127 alternator direct to starter battery, (105 amp flooded LA), feed to VSR, VSR to leisure 2x 110amp flooded LA, 70amp wires. 2 x 40w Bosch mono panels parallel to PWM 10a controller (please don’t tell me to get an mppt, not worth the money on such a small set up, don’t judge me) .This goes to the leisure batteries. I know the monos & amorphous won’t get on!

I have a 5 amp PWM already ready for the new 32w amorphous panel and this is the important bit.....

I propose to connect the amorphous panel via the 5a controller to the starter (which is A1 condition btw, at 12.75v rested).

Sorry for Capitals, but WILL THE VSR send excess power to the leisure bank from the starter battery when the amorphous panel controller is supplying more than 12.75 v?

Should add it is a 12 v boat, no inverter or charger, low consumption, in the Stone Age blah, liveaboard, run the engine lots, never let the leisure batteries go down. No shoreline.

Many thanks for listening sorry it’s a bit same but different to a similar thread,ta.

Cheers

Edited by BD3Bill

That's a conditional yes - depending upon the relative voltage of both banks be it rested or charging voltage at the time. Most VSRs will also do it the other way round. Once the voltage is above 13.3/13.6/13.8 depending upon the VSR the batteries will be paralled anyway whichever battery you feed.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, 1st ade said:

Yes.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

That's a conditional yes - depending upon the relative voltage of both banks be it rested or charging voltage at the time. Most VSRs will also do it the other way round. Once the voltage is above 13.3/13.6/13.8 depending upon the VSR the batteries will be paralled anyway whichever battery you feed.

As always, thanks Tony

15 hours ago, BD3Bill said:

, but WILL THE VSR send excess power to the leisure bank from the starter battery when the amorphous panel controller is supplying more than 12.75 v?

The VSR doesn't "send Excess power" anywhere.  It simply connects the two batteries together when the voltage is high enough. Which way the power then flows depends on the voltages of the batteries either side.

4 hours ago, David Mack said:

The VSR doesn't "send Excess power" anywhere.  It simply connects the two batteries together when the voltage is high enough. Which way the power then flows depends on the voltages of the batteries either side.

I used to get annoyed with a chap that used to set his PA up and say “So it goes from the speaker to the amp...” to which I’d always reply “No, it goes from the amp to the speaker” ;)

Yay!

It works a treat. Lovely cool and bright day here in Oxfordshire, perfect results. 

All three panels working, all three batteries in equalisation mode from the two controllers, VSR paralleling the two banks.

Chuffed! 

Thanks for the help folks.