fridges

Stuart Maddock

Featured Posts

Afternoon all
I think I am in the market for a new 12v fridge, in your opinion does one manufacturer stand out in respect of quality build and reliability.
Currently I have a 240V but as will be off grid for months on end this year, hence considering moving to a less energy thirsty beast.
Opinions please.

1 hour ago, Stuart Maddock said:

Afternoon all
I think I am in the market for a new 12v fridge, in your opinion does one manufacturer stand out in respect of quality build and reliability.
Currently I have a 240V but as will be off grid for months on end this year, hence considering moving to a less energy thirsty beast.
Opinions please.

I am always off grid appart from now until end of next month when we move about again. I have mains stuff look at other threads and make your mind up? You can pay 600 quid for a flimsy built too small 12 volt fridge that uses about the same leccy in reality as a mains fridge or you can pay 120 quid upwards with shed loads of choice as to size colour etc for a real fridge. Mine is about 530 wide built far better than my last 12 volt one was and as its simply better insulated and better put together doesn't run its compressor as long per day as the 12 volt one did. Modern mains fridges are much better than stuff of only ten years ago. BUT you do need a GOOD quality inverter.

13 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Check out the other fridge thread currently running. Two camps, one pro 240V, one pro 12V.

You need a decent inverter anyway so a 240V fridge is no more power than a 12V one.

I got fed up with getting splinters in 'me bum' from sitting on the fence so went :

Fridge with ice box 12v Waeco at under 30Ah per day

Freezer (Argos Cheapy) 220v at around 34Ah/day + Inverter usage / losses.

Inverter would be on most of the time anyway so the 'losses' can be amortised across all the appliances*.

Battery bank 6x 230Ah FLA batteries.

* I would make mention of the fact that running the battery charger via the inverter does not seem to result in gaining any charge in the batteries, and the longer you run the charger, the lower the batteries get.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I would make mention of the fact that running the battery charger via the inverter does not seem to result in gaining any charge in the batteries, and the longer you run the charger, the lower the batteries get.

You need to look into that, Alan. 

55 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

* I would make mention of the fact that running the battery charger via the inverter does not seem to result in gaining any charge in the batteries, and the longer you run the charger, the lower the batteries get.

Either the battery charger is broken, or the inverter isn't producing a clean enough sine wave for it.

Jen

37 minutes ago, WotEver said:

You need to look into that, Alan. 

20 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

B*gger me! Does the Pope sh*t in the woods, too?

19 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Either the battery charger is broken, or the inverter isn't producing a clean enough sine wave for it.

Jen

Obviously a problem that needs sorting - any suggestions ?

If that doesn't work try disconnecting the positive lead between the charger and the batteries. The electrons go down the negative lead to the batteries, but then they are taken away by the positive lead. Disconnecting the positive lead will give a net charge to the batteries. The wiring diagrams supplied with most chaegers are completely wrong.

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

43 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Obviously a problem that needs sorting - any suggestions ?

It could be the winter temperatures. Try running a fan heater from the inverter to heat the batteries up. 

• Haha 1