Interesting Boaty Business Up For Sale

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, X Alan W said:

Not to talk ill of the passed away but the book he wrote on Hotel Boats didn't include any mention of my Hotel Pair although I ran them for 4 seasons although I had given up (Wifes Ill Health)at the time

Which pair did you run?

Duke and Duchess were sold as a going concern in Nov 2017, and it looks like the new owner is actively publicising the 2018 season. The other pair of hotel boats 'By Water Holidays' were also sold to new owners in 2017 and are advertising their 2018 trips. 

On 24/01/2018 at 10:35, Athy said:

Really? Despite the fact that they can get in the way in some places, that is a pity. They are not only an interesting part of the waterways scene, but for certain groups of people, e.g. foreign visitors and/ or people whose mobility and stamina would not allow them to spend eight hours a day steering a boat, they perform a useful service. I guess that the narrowness of U.K. canals worka against them compared with, for example, the French waterways where converted péniches (about 120 feet by 17 feet) can be used.

We spent a pub evening with the owners of one such venture some years ago: I can't remember the names of the boats but the business was branded as "Away For A While". They were agreeable and seemingly competent people and I hope they are still in business.

So how many hotel boats (singles or pairs) are still operational? 

The Away For a While boat is called Katie.  It has now also ceased cruising and is now under new ownership as a fixed hotel boat in Gas Street Street Basin and re-branded as Boatel.  https://www.booking.com/hotel/gb/boatel-birmingham-special-opening-offers.en-gb.html

1 hour ago, stagedamager said:

I doubt in the case of one pair it was down to money that they stopped trading. It was probably down to complaints and the trading licence being revoked...... rumour has it......

Dan

Bad tempered Reverend then

4 hours ago, Athy said:

I shan't be taking up the challenge, as you obviously know your stuff - but I do think that it would be a great pity if the species did become extinct.

The web site is called "Hotel Boating", by the way, and reports brisk booking business for 2018 - though I suppose that it would, wouldn't it?

And it does say:

"The Hotel Boat industry has diversified considerably in recent years. Once dominated by traditional narrowboat pairs there are now luxury wide-beam, hostel, camping and vegetarian retreat boats. "

1 hour ago, stagedamager said:

I doubt in the case of one pair it was down to money that they stopped trading. It was probably down to complaints and the trading licence being revoked...... rumour has it......

Dan

I wonder which pair that was....

On 24/01/2018 at 09:43, Athy said:

We have seen Springwood Haven, where we moored for several years, grow from little more than a hole in the ground and a portakabin  into the thriving and attractive place it is now (the main building wasn't even there when we moved to Springwood, it's built of recycled bricks so that it looks authentic). The Wagstaffs have worked wonders where, and I'm pleased to read that they are retiring early to enjoy the fruits of their labours, though they will of course be missed.

I would be most interested to see how they will get their enormous Dutch-style barge, on which they intend to cruise the European waterways, out of the marina though. It was built in situ and it's too big to move on the Coventry Canal. The "road" access is adventurous to say the least; I hope that a camera crew is in attendance when the move happens.

Not quite right, it was built elsewhere and dropped in at Boot wharf, then moved up the canal. Upon finishing last year it was then moved back to boot wharf and lifted out.

I might be able to find some photos of it being lifted out.

I am told it just passes through the bridge holes, although the wheel house had to be removed.

2 minutes ago, Dave Payne said:

Not quite right, it was built elsewhere and dropped in at Boot wharf, then moved up the canal. Upon finishing last year it was then moved back to boot wharf and lifted out.

I might be able to find some photos of it being lifted out.

I am told it just passes through the bridge holes, although the wheel house had to be removed.

Thank you for the correction, Dave. When I asked about it 2 years ago I was told that it had been built there, but perhaps my informant was using "built" in the sense of "fitted out". So who did build the shell? I'd hazard a guess at (ex-Peter) Nichols in Braunston.

7 hours ago, Athy said:

Thank you for the correction, Dave. When I asked about it 2 years ago I was told that it had been built there, but perhaps my informant was using "built" in the sense of "fitted out". So who did build the shell? I'd hazard a guess at (ex-Peter) Nichols in Braunston.

When you wrote ‘built’ I assumed you meant ‘fitted out’. I was there the day it arrived with much amusement from all onlookers. 

59 minutes ago, WotEver said:

When you wrote ‘built’ I assumed you meant ‘fitted out’. 

Why?

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

I was there the day it arrived with much amusement from all onlookers. 

What happened to cause the amusement? Difficulties in getting the hull in situ?

28 minutes ago, Athy said:

Why?

Because I assumed that you knew that the Wags don’t build boats. 

29 minutes ago, Athy said:

What happened to cause the amusement? Difficulties in getting the hull in situ?

Simply that it was twice the size of anything else in the marina or indeed, on the Coventry. 

8 hours ago, WotEver said:

Because I assumed that you knew that the Wags don’t build boats. 

Simply that it was twice the size of anything else in the marina or indeed, on the Coventry. 

I knew that they don't usually, yes, but this is after all an exceptional boat.

I'm pleased that I wasn't in a narrowboat coming up from Nuneaton during its journey to Boot Wharf!

12 minutes ago, PeterG said:

I wonder how much they want for Springwood Haven?

The agent's brochure does not name a price - but does make it clear that the moorings are not included, I assume that the Wags are keeping those to fund their cruising.

Yes I noticed that but it does state workshop moorings and facilities for hire boat operation.  Not sure how that works, all academic for me anyway but just interested as I have cruised past many times and even bought stuff there several times as well.

4 minutes ago, PeterG said:

Yes I noticed that but it does state workshop moorings and facilities for hire boat operation.  Not sure how that works, all academic for me anyway but just interested as I have cruised past many times and even bought stuff there several times as well.

I suppose that the moorings are run as a separate business from the chandlery, fuel and repairs business. I don't know why you'd do that, but I'm sure that an accountant could explain.

On ‎25‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 08:14, Naughty Cal said:

Running a business like that would just get in the way of going boating. :blink:

Actualy though you spoke here partly in jest you are of course quite correct. Every business we have managed or owned we have set a time limit on of three years then bugger off boating for six months to a year. This has been our way for near on thirty years then do another one. Too many people think they are going to do it all when they retire but in reality drop dead at work and become part of that sad percentage of people who " Died a wealthy man "

• Greenie 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Athy said:

I suppose that the moorings are run as a separate business from the chandlery, fuel and repairs business. I don't know why you'd do that, but I'm sure that an accountant could explain.

Because moorings are a safe secure business and the other activities are higher risk. So you keep the risks separate so that a failure in one does not destroy the other. 

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, WJM said:

Because moorings are a safe secure business and the other activities are higher risk. So you keep the risks separate so that a failure in one does not destroy the other. 

That makes sense, thanks.