Interesting Boaty Business Up For Sale

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

An opportunity has arisen to purchase a pair (Duke & Duchess) of successful and profitable hotel boats, carrying paying guests around the inland waterways of England and Wales. Currently based in Manchestor.

This is a unique way to earn a living - hosting guests from all over the world, whilst travelling around the UK at a slow pace.

The pair of hotel boats travel together (the motor boat towing the unpowered narrow boat behind it). It can accommodate up to 6 guests, travelling on 3-8 night fully catered canal holidays. The season runs from Spring to Autumn.

Asking Price:
£85,000 Furniture / Fixtures and Inventory / Stock included

f8fd4fb0-2f94-46c2-a723-3555de38b6c1.jpg

It must be 'something in the water', first it was the two 'fatties' on the K&A and now a pair up-North

Now also a 'Restaurant Boat at Hebden Bridge

Asking Price:
£75,000 Furniture / Fixtures included

Based in Hebden Bridge the quirkiest coolest most creative place in Britain, is an opportunity to purchase this unique narrowboat business with no competition.

Our narrow boat provides customers with a unique dine and cruising experience along the canal in a beautiful Valley.

This thriving business is run mainly on weekends and provides ample opportunity to extend trade to a seven day week business.

The boat is operated from outside the award winning pub which provides all our cooked food and comes with a permanent mooring.

63171af7-91c0-4cd6-a003-d8a6114886b4.jpg

And now for something completely different :

Asking Price:
£457,700

Hilton Smythe is delighted to introduce to the market Langrick Bridge Stores on the River Witham. This multi-facet business is a family run concern with our clients, a successful husband and wife team running the business since 2011.

Revenue is derived from a well-stocked convenience store, petrol station with additional red diesel services, chandlery with a wide variety of products for passing boaters, pump out station and River Witham bank moorings, with permission for double mooring. Access pontoons, and grassed river bank area. 

The business reports turnover at circa £167,000 with a gross profit at around 25% for this financial year, with ill health reluctantly forcing the sale. We believe the business has huge scope for future development with a new owner in situ with enthusiasm and drive to take the business to the next level. Perhaps by extending opening hours or embarking on a modest marketing campaign to promote the assets of the business.

In addition, the business benefits from a 1 bedroom self-contained flat suitable for letting out to generate additional income.

The business is complete with superb 3-bedroom owner’s accommodation, ideal perhaps for a couple or small family looking for a life style change in this beautiful and desirable location.

d7438739-e189-4f93-801f-1ca381e4a793.jpg

And finally :

2016 Turnover: £600,000

This is a retirement sale.

Springwood Haven Leisure Ltd is the profitable retail, repair and servicing business of Springwood Haven Marina, Nuneaton. It includes Onboard Energy, a leading distributor of off-grid energy solutions.

• Modern workshop, 2 x enclosed wet docks and slipway
• Purpose-built chandlery and office complex with potential for alternative uses
• Canalside services wharf with diesel, gas and pump-out facilities
• Workshop moorings within the owner’s 60 berth marina
• Profitable marine and off-grid Victron eco-energy business
• Facilities for a hire boat operation
• Workshop and retail businesses offered for sale as a going concern
• Scope for further business development
• Offered on a new lease on terms to be agreed

fb7bdc9f-0072-4f6e-98e8-a0e82686b582.jpg

We have seen Springwood Haven, where we moored for several years, grow from little more than a hole in the ground and a portakabin  into the thriving and attractive place it is now (the main building wasn't even there when we moved to Springwood, it's built of recycled bricks so that it looks authentic). The Wagstaffs have worked wonders where, and I'm pleased to read that they are retiring early to enjoy the fruits of their labours, though they will of course be missed.

I would be most interested to see how they will get their enormous Dutch-style barge, on which they intend to cruise the European waterways, out of the marina though. It was built in situ and it's too big to move on the Coventry Canal. The "road" access is adventurous to say the least; I hope that a camera crew is in attendance when the move happens.

Just to say I agree with Athy’s comments and update you on the wide beam situation

It was moved last summer - I understand an “interesting” short voyage down to Boot Wharf where it was lifted out and relocated to the continent by road

10 minutes ago, Athy said:

We have seen Springwood Haven, where we moored for several years, grow from little more than a hole in the ground and a portakabin  into the thriving and attractive place it is now (the main building wasn't even there when we moved to Springwood, it's built of recycled bricks so that it looks authentic). The Wagstaffs have worked wonders where, and I'm pleased to read that they are retiring early to enjoy the fruits of their labours, though they will of course be missed.

I would be most interested to see how they will get their enormous Dutch-style barge, on which they intend to cruise the European waterways, out of the marina though. It was built in situ and it's too big to move on the Coventry Canal. The "road" access is adventurous to say the least; I hope that a camera crew is in attendance when the move happens.

I've just ordered, and had delivered a Victron battery charger from Springwood.  Excellent service, less than 24hr from order to delivery and they use DPD which gives you the hour it will arrive. Thinking now about getting my solar panels from them. 

8 minutes ago, Shadows Dad said:

Just to say I agree with Athy’s comments and update you on the wide beam situation

It was moved last summer - I understand an “interesting” short voyage down to Boot Wharf where it was lifted out and relocated to the continent by road

Thanks, SD. Last summer, for the first time in some years, we didn't stop at Springwood to have our engine serviced (a family wedding cut into our cruising time so we didn't go up to Alvecote as usual), so I'm a bit behind. I am amazed that the barge got out of the marina, where turning is tight, and that it fitted under the bridges. I trust that Kevin the Fitter, who always seemed to find a solution to any boating problem, was on hand!

An opportunity has arisen to purchase a pair (Duke & Duchess) of successful and profitable hotel boats, carrying paying guests around the inland waterways of England and Wales.

With the best will in the world, I don't think any of the canal hotel boat businesses can really be called "profitable" can they?

If run by owner operators who don't expect much more ot of the business than to break even, (perhaps being supported by seasonal crew being actually paid very little), then maybe they just about survive.

If it were actually profitable, then there would still be a number of pairs making a success of it, but the reality is that nearly all such businesses have now ceased trading.

• Happy 1

9 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

With the best will in the world, I don't think any of the canal hotel boat businesses can really be called "profitable" can they?

If run by owner operators who don't expect much more ot of the business than to break even, (perhaps being supported by seasonal crew being actually paid very little), then maybe they just about survive.

If it were actually profitable, then there would still be a number of pairs making a success of it, but the reality is that nearly all such businesses have now ceased trading.

Spot on. 

4 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

the reality is that nearly all such businesses have now ceased trading.

Really? Despite the fact that they can get in the way in some places, that is a pity. They are not only an interesting part of the waterways scene, but for certain groups of people, e.g. foreign visitors and/ or people whose mobility and stamina would not allow them to spend eight hours a day steering a boat, they perform a useful service. I guess that the narrowness of U.K. canals worka against them compared with, for example, the French waterways where converted péniches (about 120 feet by 17 feet) can be used.

We spent a pub evening with the owners of one such venture some years ago: I can't remember the names of the boats but the business was branded as "Away For A While". They were agreeable and seemingly competent people and I hope they are still in business.

So how many hotel boats (singles or pairs) are still operational? 

2 hours ago, peterboat said:

The place on the Witham is an OK business few moorings pleasant area we filled up there a couple of years ago good service reasonable price, what more can you ask for?

It has a lot of potential to become much more succesful as well with the right people at the helm and a bit of investment.

Sad to see Dave and his wife are selling up though. They are a lovely couple, very friendly. 

Will have to find someone else to do our BSC next year as well now :(

3 hours ago, Shadows Dad said:

While we were moored at Springwood we had a good look around that widebeam in its early days just after it had been panelled out. Huge engine, Northern Lights genny, Victron everything (naturally). Kay & Wag were very proud of it and Kevin’s workmanship on the electrics was to his usual high standards.  

Lovely boat and I’m sure they’ll be very happy on her. 

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

It has a lot of potential to become much more succesful as well with the right people at the helm and a bit of investment.

Sad to see Dave and his wife are selling up though. They are a lovely couple, very friendly. 

Will have to find someone else to do our BSC next year as well now :(

I agree if I was younger I could have been interested in it, we looked at a marina on the Lancashire last year but the figures didnt add up so walked away

We had a couple of holidays on Duke & Duchess when David and his mother were running them. The meals were fantastic. The boats are of different ages as David had a new butty built at Braunston. It was very pleasant and a good way to see the waterways but not a way to make lots of money i'm guessing.

10 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Seconded.

10 hours ago, Athy said:

So how many hotel boats (singles or pairs) are still operational?

For motor/butty pairs a quick trawl revealed only two actively advertising for 2018 and beyond.  At least one further pair has a web-site, but appears to be stuck in 2017, so presumably are unlikely to trade this year.

(EDIT: And one of the pairs advertising 2018 cruises is the one that us for sale at the start of this thread.)

If there are more, they need to improve their on line advertising so search engines find them easily!

There are a few single narrow boats, though the impression I got is that most are skippered but self catering, so not really hotel boats at all.

Then there are the several monstrous wide beams, often blocking unsuitable canals with their 12 foot plus girth, for the carriage of as few as a maximum of 4 guests, but I prefer not to talk of those. too much (!)  Several of these boats are currently for sale, and I suspect the "luxury 4 berth floating brick" business model has worked out about as well as one might reasonably have expected it to!

Edited by alan_fincher

I heard from one couple that used to work a pair of hotel boats that the Working Time Directive and Minimum Wage meant that it just was not cost effective to employ a third person any more, and so they downsized to a single motor, but then the income from the reduced number of guests made the whole thing less worthwhile.

17 hours ago, peterboat said:

I agree if I was younger I could have been interested in it, we looked at a marina on the Lancashire last year but the figures didnt add up so walked away

Running a business like that would just get in the way of going boating. :blink:

9 hours ago, Allan(nb Albert) said:

Some years ago, I wrote about hotel boats being sold off and the decline of working hotel boat pairs. This brought an angry reaction from the late Robin Smithett who maintained business was good.

Not to talk ill of the passed away but the book he wrote on Hotel Boats didn't include any mention of my Hotel Pair although I ran them for 4 seasons although I had given up (Wifes Ill Health)at the time

I've just been looking at a hotel boat cruising web site which lists 12 different boats or pairs currently operating, so perhaps they are not such an endangered species as some people fear. Those did include boats which have been mentioned as up for sale, though.

17 minutes ago, Athy said:

I've just been looking at a hotel boat cruising web site which lists 12 different boats or pairs currently operating, so perhaps they are not such an endangered species as some people fear. Those did include boats which have been mentioned as up for sale, though.

That website, if it is the one I think it is, actually lists mostly wide beam boats, including the massive boat on the Severn - hardly a canal hotel boat.  Also some that are  listed are not really "hotel" boats, if you have to cater for yourself.  Is this, for example, really a "hotel" boat?......

Luxurious self catering cruises. Enjoy the services of a crew during the day. The boat is then 'yours' until the crew rejoin you the following morning to continue with the adventure. 

Also if you actually take the trouble to follow some of the links, you will see some of the boats listed are not actually advertising as trading in 2018 - they probably relate to a business that has now ended without finding new owners.

Plus some of them you are just one of a couple of guests sharing someone else's boat that would probably have been cruising anyway.  You will not be sat amongst other fee paying guests, which is how most people surely think of "traditional" canal hotel boats.

I challenge you to find more than 2 hotel narrow boat pairs still obviously trading in 2018.  Given that at least on of those two businesses are for sale, as are several of the wide beam ones, I disagree with your assessment about endangered species.  Hotel narrow boat pairs are close to extinct, and I doubt many of the wide beam businesses are profitable as a business.  I suspect in many cases the owners are losing rather than making money.  The test will be whether any of those for sale find owners prepared to keep them in use as floating hotels - most that have been sold on in recent years no longer are.

Edited by alan_fincher

6 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

I challenge you to find more than 2 hotel narrow boat pairs still obviously trading in 2018. 

I shan't be taking up the challenge, as you obviously know your stuff - but I do think that it would be a great pity if the species did become extinct.

The web site is called "Hotel Boating", by the way, and reports brisk booking business for 2018 - though I suppose that it would, wouldn't it?

Edited by Athy

50 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Running a business like that would just get in the way of going boating. :blink:

It wasnt a bad thing to be honest but the figure didnt add up the owner was being greedy I suspect we would have been ok doing a couple of days a week up and down the lancashire, so how long before we got bored with it?