Places with a bad reputation that don't deserve it

MtB

Featured Posts

Banbury used to be dreadful, opposite the new shopping centre. However now the only real problem seems to be the architectural and environmental zit on the backside of humanity that drags all the locals in to buy designer crap. Not that I'm biased or anything.

i used to like wandering into the square dashing to the ironmongers hoping that the boat would still be afloat when I got back, but as for spending a night no way.

having said that  our deck broom was stolen  at cropredy of all places. Had to go through designer city to the remains of the ironmongers to get a new one. Confirmed that they sell nothing of use to anyone in the zit.

18 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Confirmed that they sell nothing of use to anyone in the zit.

You confirm what Mrs. Athy and I say about Castle Quays Shopping Centre: it's full of shops selling things that no one needs. Astonishingly, there was one really useful shop there - a supermarket - but it has closed down.

But when you emerge on the other side, to the square and its adjacent old streets, Banbury has more appeal, with a good number of individual shops.

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Yes it seems terribly unfair for Rob to blame Banbury for his poor boating skills!

I wasnt blaming Banbury. I said I had nothing against Banbury. It was actually my first and only lift bridge experience. The lady whose boat had just passed through didnt seem to have noticed me following and i,ve a feeling she already started to close it a wee bit before she acknowledged my approach and then walked off after her own boat. It looked awfully tight but assuming she,s already passed through i crept up on it at barely idle. Will it ? Wont it ? Will it? Wont it?  No it friggin wont !!! Crunch !!!  My boating skills just improved by a bent chimly,s worth, thankyou for your defense of Banbury and recognition of my poor skills. I,m sure its never happened to you.

On 28/01/2018 at 10:53, Scholar Gypsy said:

Our only crunched chimney was on the Oxford, somewhere on the summit. The person on the helm said "I didn't see the bridge, I wasn't wearing my glasses", as though that made it OK.

This is reminding me of the old thread on here where a boater recounts a fisherman yelling at him "Didn't you see my fishing rod?", to which he answered "No. Didn't you see my 70ft, 25 tonne narrowboat?!"

• Greenie 2

4 minutes ago, b0atman said:

Stop knocking castle precinct Banbury it has two good shops 3 & EE. 

I don't know either of those - do they sell anything essential? - but 2 out of dozens (three if you count the barber's) isn't much of a score. Yes, civilised bogs, but I was talking about shops. 

9 hours ago, Athy said:

I don't know either of those - do they sell anything essential? - but 2 out of dozens (three if you count the barber's) isn't much of a score. Yes, civilised bogs, but I was talking about shops. 

Castle Quay went down the pan with the demise of Hood's- the ironmongers,- it was the sort of place that you call walk into and ask for a Left Handed Thingummy Sprocket for a 1949 Treacle Mill. 

To which the assistant would reply; - "Certainly sir, Would you like a Green one or a Blue one ?"   A real gem of a place, and staffed by folk that knew what they were selling.

• Happy 1

What's a 3 Ee? Don't need barber only sunscreen..

banbury used to be our local big town and was quite civilised there were few chains and it was easier than leamington bilge ( now there's a bloody awful place) . Now unfortunately due to the zit it's full of designer shops selling brands..( crap made in China and labelled up)

On ‎28‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 08:24, Athy said:

You confirm what Mrs. Athy and I say about Castle Quays Shopping Centre: it's full of shops selling things that no one needs.

I dunno. Holland and Barrett seems to be the only place that you can buy oatmeal these days.

And what about the Ann Summers shop? Apparently you can buy rope there.

1 minute ago, Tonka said:

It is the places with a good reputation that are bad that I need a list of. I.E Shepperton on Thames. Quite a posh place yet I have been set adrift there when moored there twice

Perhaps the residents felt that your boat was not posh enough for the area?

Slightly off topic but Banbury , Castle Quay. A while back I was coming down the town lock by the service point when I noticed a brand new floating gin palace tied up at the water point. A VERY angry elderly gentleman was ranting about the new boat as the owners had conveniently ignored the fact that the old chap was waiting to fill with water etc and had gone into Castle Quays. He was in a fury. 

He appeared from his own boat with a couple of full toilet cassettes which he emptied all over the moored offender much to the astonishment of various onlookers. He then returned to his boat and took the lock as I came out still with steam coming out of his ears!

Just as well that they hadn't left any windows open.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, billS said:

Holland and Barrett seems to be the only place that you can buy oatmeal these days.

Look out for The Grape Tree. It's a chain opened by the former owners of Julian Graves and sells the same sort of stuff. Very good for big pots of herbs and spices at around £2.50 a time. Website:https://www.grapetree.co.uk/

19 minutes ago, steamraiser2 said:

Slightly off topic but Banbury , Castle Quay. A while back I was coming down the town lock by the service point when I noticed a brand new floating gin palace tied up at the water point. A VERY angry elderly gentleman was ranting about the new boat as the owners had conveniently ignored the fact that the old chap was waiting to fill with water etc and had gone into Castle Quays. He was in a fury. 

He appeared from his own boat with a couple of full toilet cassettes which he emptied all over the moored offender much to the astonishment of various onlookers. He then returned to his boat and took the lock as I came out still with steam coming out of his ears!

Blimey, that's a bit OTT. Does pouring sewage over something constitute criminal damage?

22 hours ago, steamraiser2 said:

Sounds  like he was Banbury Cross!

• Greenie 1