Known canal bottlenecks where, when, why

reg

Featured Posts

On 23/01/2018 at 23:20, MHS said:

We’ve been through the Armitage tunnel dozens of times over many years and never met another boat.

We’ve never sent someone ahead.  

If heading South, you can see 90% of the length of the narrowing. If heading North, you can go in and worst case that there’s a boat approaching, you can back up. 

Spot on, As you say if you cant see a boat as you enter going south you will be half way to the bridge before they show. I have met a boat and backed out of the bridge a couple of times

22 hours ago, magpie patrick said:

If we use that definition Devizes Locks took me twelve days!

One of your fastest bits of the journey then.  :D:D

18 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

New Marton Locks can be a bottleneck. They take an age to level which causes queues in peak season.

Surprising but very true.  We moored overnight below the locks, perhaps 10 boat lengths away, when we left in the morning we were in danger of being in the way of the queue to go up.

7 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

But then on a cold winter's day one wouldn't expect there to be congestion anywhere, innit. 

That's why I included the "when" part of the question as the when part could possibly used to adjust for seasonal average transit timings. 

Some other whens could be

Weekends

Hire Base Turnaround days

Local events (Cropredy springs to mind, which is both a Why? And a When?) 

Tothers? 

So  "Cold winter's day"  is valid info. 

Ot

Good child thread Mike, interesting. 

7 hours ago, Shropie Lad said:

Topside of Trevor is horrible !!    (   Well worth a trip to the Sun at Trevor ! Then wind )

And I suppose we could include the Trevor to Llangollen as a pinch point? Another one where having crew to check ahead is useful. 

Edited by reg

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 16:18, ditchcrawler said:

Cow Shit lock as its know ie. colwich lock

Yes! Huge queues here in the summer when all the boats come out of King's Bromley marina. 

For that matter I think many locks at the end of long pounds (like this one) have the potential to be pinch points, as regular locks tend to space boats out (once you get the through the initial queue)

13 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

No long queues today at Boulters Lock in Maidenhead, you'll all be pleased to know.... another bottleneck noted for congestion.

But then on a cold winter's day one wouldn't expect there to be congestion anywhere, innit. 

You never know...was in a queue of 5 boats going down Marsworth locks last month despite freezing rain! And no queue at all back in June...