Known canal bottlenecks where, when, why

reg

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, Peter X said:

As I remember it, the passing places at Coven all look very short, not good if two full length boats meet, whereas that boat I mentioned at Armitage was 60 foot or more and fitted OK.

When the canal was built there were only full length boats. I would be very surprised if the passing places aren't full length. 

3 hours ago, reg said:

That basically identifies the difficulty I had in wording the question whilst it is not a bottleneck as such the speed of progress through is down to a number of factors, particularly for single handed passage. 

Are locks manned

Locking by self 

Locking paired up

Locks with or against 

If those are factors which affect your rate of progress through Hatton, then they will surely apply eaually to other locks. You would be better off changing the default lock times in canalplan.

19 minutes ago, Peter X said:

As I remember it, the passing places at Coven all look very short, not good if two full length boats meet, whereas that boat I mentioned at Armitage was 60 foot or more and fitted OK.

When the cutting was originally made, I think the spaces were 70ft ish but now they are quite overgrown in places and so the usable space is less and some of the rocks jutting out are not easily visible. At times I've found I have to stop and then push the boat into the space sideways and push the boat out again when the other boat has passed! The other issue is that whilst you're hidden in the passing place another boat enters the narrows and so you have to wait for that one as well!!!

Edited by Mal in Somerset
Add

10 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Which are the other lists of no-go areas? 

Ooo, you don't want to go through Birmingham, you'll be killed and your boat burnt...

You know how this stuff goes

2 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Ooo, you don't want to go through Birmingham, you'll be killed and your boat burnt...

You know how this stuff goes

Must admit I have avoided the curly wurly after similar warnings, but I don't think this is that sort of list that's a whole new thread 

12 minutes ago, reg said:

Must admit I have avoided the curly wurly after similar warnings, but I don't think this is that sort of list that's a whole new thread 

The warnings are wrong, and you are missing out

Richard

3 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Watford can take longer than it needs to because of "rules" imposed by the volunteer lock keepers.

For example we were not allowed up through the bottom locks to wait for the staircase, despite no other boats waiting in the pond below, so had to wait whilst boats came right down through bottom locks before being allowed in.  Total unnecessary delay time is then about 4 lock operations.

We had that problem, lockie asked us to wait at the top until the three boats coming up had passed through. Then he let another couple of boats start coming up. When I suggested I drop down the top lock and pass in the pound the boat coming up then refused to pass us in the pound and suggested I moor up so he could come through. I'm afraid I suggested he learn to steer his boat and to just get out of the lock.

1 hour ago, reg said:

The problem I found with the Armitage tunnel is that as a single hander I can't sent crew ahead to check it out. Sometimes it's a case of diving in (not literally) and half expect to have to back out. Overall though I suppose it's not a major hold up if everyone plays fairly. 

I did get shouted at once, as the boat in front of me(that had crawled for 1/4 mile before) pulled over to let his wifey alight.

I continued on, much to his disgust, as coming from the North, you can see its clear if you get close enough to the towpath.

I was streaming this cruise and had several hundred worldwide viewers!!:D

We’ve been through the Armitage tunnel dozens of times over many years and never met another boat.

We’ve never sent someone ahead.  

If heading South, you can see 90% of the length of the narrowing. If heading North, you can go in and worst case that there’s a boat approaching, you can back up. 

12 hours ago, Mal in Somerset said:

I've never had any problems at Watford. The reason for holding boats at the bottom in the last year or so is because they have had problems with severe leaking through the bottom lock. They prefer to keep the bottom lock empty for as long as possible, so hold the boats below the bottom lock, then as the boats coming down clear the staircase start to bring the boats up through the first 2 locks bearing in mind that there is only room for one boat to moor in each pound below the staircase. The bottom lock is due to be repaired in March as part of the winter stoppage programme and I understand they are hoping to tidy up the other locks whilst they are at it. 

Then the volunteers are not consistent with their explanations on this.

We were told boats in the pound below the staircase get in the way, and it is easier not to allow them there.

This of course is pretty daft!

11 hours ago, reg said:

You have been given poor advice, I think.  We have seen little up there that would give me any worries at all.

Give it a try - you will be very pleasantly surprised.

Edited by alan_fincher

The leaky bottom gate at Watford has meant that the first pound is very low and there is not enough water to moor in the first  pound,as Mal  has posted, most mornings.  . We have had to run water down the last two times. Should be ok to come up though during the day if the flights busy and the waters up.

Edited by Tuscan
Missed word

As Allan Fincher mentioned Hillmorton locks I have had to wait many times yet they are paired locks ! My experience of the last few years is that volunteers hover around the bottom locks .

New marinas will put more pressure on these locks.

Edited by b0atman

18 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Watford can take longer than it needs to because of "rules" imposed by the volunteer lock keepers.

For example we were not allowed up through the bottom locks to wait for the staircase, despite no other boats waiting in the pond below, so had to wait whilst boats came right down through bottom locks before being allowed in.  Total unnecessary delay time is then about 4 lock operations.

I meant Minshull in my original post.

We have been involved there in queues that ran into double figures, certainly.

That's not how all keepers operate Watford. (In our experience, anyway) nevertheless, delays can be quite lengthy and, especially at the bottom, uncomfortably close to the motorway!

16 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

That's not how all keepers operate Watford. (In our experience, anyway) nevertheless, delays can be quite lengthy and, especially at the bottom, uncomfortably close to the motorway!

Surely waiting at the top is closer to the motorway you are under it!

22 hours ago, RLWP said:

Not really. We moored up overnight on the offside towpath halfway down.

Travel time was the usual about 2.5 hours. It's rarely much more or less than that.

Richard

If we use that definition Devizes Locks took me twelve days!

Edited by magpie patrick