Anyone up for a short trip on the Gloucester and Sharpness Canal this Fri in exchange for cash/beer?

klgilfillan

Featured Posts

Hi all, MrSmelly has advised me to reframe my request for a 'pilot' to help me move my narrow boat 10 miles down the Gloucester and Sharpness canal (from Gloucester to RW Davis boat builders). I am a newbie and don't know what I am doing. So, since it's an easy bit of canal, does any charitable boater want to do this 10 mile trip with me this Friday (26 Jan 2018) in exchange for cash or beer? I had someone lined up to help me but his boat has developed problems that he needs to deal with.  

It's a pity you arn't going Saturday. 

The G&S isn't difficult and is wide enough to make a few cock ups without  causing harm.

Get bridge times and 'phone number(s).  Once you are on your way the bridge masters will 'hand you on'.

If you're in the Docks at Gloucester have a word with the guys on the lock.  They'll set you right.

Try posting your request in General Boating/Crew Swap and you might get a better response. 

https://canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/forum/49-crew-swap/

I've only done the G&S once in spring and I didn't have the bridge times and numbers. I just observed the traffic lights - waited on red and proceeded on green when the bridges opened. Perhaps it's different in winter and they're not manned all day?

Unfortunately I can't help tomorrow. 

If you end up doing it by yourself the most difficult bit might be holding the boat stationery mid-canal while you wait for a bridge. It's not an easy skill for a beginner especially if there's a bit of wind. If there's not much traffic I suggest you practice it before you get to the first bridge. As Taslim has said, it's a wide enough canal to more or less do what you want.

http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/station.htm

Edited by blackrose

4 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Try posting your request in General Boating/Crew Swap and you might get a better response. 

https://canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/forum/49-crew-swap/

I've only done the G&S once in spring and I didn't have the bridge times and numbers. I just observed the traffic lights - waited on red and proceeded on green when the bridges opened. Perhaps it's different in winter and they're not manned all day?

Unfortunately I can't help tomorrow. 

The times are on the CRT site, closed I think something like Tuesday and Wednesday, and then short days the other days.  So should be fine for the short trip on Friday if you don’t leave it late in the afternoon.  It is all very easy, so if there is no one forthcoming I would say just go for it,get off in plenty of time and take it easy and observe the lights at the bridges and all will be fine.

Many thanks for responses. My pilot has solved his boat problems, so all should be well. I've rung the bridges, and got their operating times, which was helpful. I think my main worry was reversing and turning because she's currently moored at a small marina. I'll see how it's done tomorrow :)  

9 minutes ago, klgilfillan said:

Many thanks for responses. My pilot has solved his boat problems, so all should be well. I've rung the bridges, and got their operating times, which was helpful. I think my main worry was reversing and turning because she's currently moored at a small marina. I'll see how it's done tomorrow :)  

Good news! 

You'll be surprised at how easy it all is, provided there is no wind blowing. When there is strong wind, manoeuvring in small marinas makes everything bloody challenging!

So good luck for tomorrow, and do come back and recount how it all goes :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/01/2018 at 00:02, Mike the Boilerman said:

Good news! 

You'll be surprised at how easy it all is, provided there is no wind blowing. When there is strong wind, manoeuvring in small marinas makes everything bloody challenging!

So good luck for tomorrow, and do come back and recount how it all goes :)

I wonder if he made it as he hasn't reported back yet.

38 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

I wonder if he made it as he hasn't reported back yet.

Probably still stuck against the far end bank of the marina in a stiff breeze blowing the length of the marina pool. 

Guess how I know this can happen.

The G&S is great for practising on as you generally have plenty of width and depth.  The wind can be a problem but tends to be worse down towards Sharpness although I did once get stuck turning out of the end of the arm from Saul Junction marina, in the end the bridge keeper opened the bridge so I could reverse through the bridge to get off the wall that I was pinned against by the wind.