Visitor mooring @ Limehouse basin

DaveR

Featured Posts

In planning my cruise on the Thames in August this year I asked BWML about a visitor mooring in Limehouse Basin.

Guess how much per day . . . . . I was truly shocked . . . . now I know why BWML want to install more pontoons in Limehouse. If you do feel strongly about this matter, you must go online and register your objection.

How much per day? £73.95 so the invoice was for £369.75 for 5 days mooring.

OCM said no in certain words I can not use on this forum.

In 2009 we had no trouble mooring there for a few days and on our return from Hertford we moored just on the cut for a few more days. Visits to Greenwich and Canary Wharf and walks along the river in both directions. In 2015 the visitor moorings in the basin now 24 hours and the cut full. So we moored at 3 Mills for a few days. 

At what point did CRT/BW hand over the whole management of the basin to BWML? 

Also had no problem in 1990, we were the only boat there - no marina then. 

12 hours ago, DaveR said:

In planning my cruise on the Thames in August this year I asked BWML about a visitor mooring in Limehouse Basin.

Guess how much per day . . . . . I was truly shocked . . . . now I know why BWML want to install more pontoons in Limehouse. If you do feel strongly about this matter, you must go online and register your objection.

How much per day? £73.95 so the invoice was for £369.75 for 5 days mooring.

OCM said no in certain words I can not use on this forum.

If you think that is expensive try St Kats. £145 per night for a typical 57ft narrowboat!

Capture.jpg

It's £52.50 per night for our little boat. Thankfully the weekly rate is much more acceptable at £228.62 or £32.66 per night.

2 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

If you think that is expensive try St Kats. £145 per night for a typical 57ft narrowboat!

Capture.jpg

It's £52.50 per night for our little boat. Thankfully the weekly rate is much more acceptable at £228.62 or £32.66 per night.

Pump Out: £25.00 per 500 litres.

Good heavens! Do they measure the stuff?

Some people really do get all the sh one t jobs.

:D

26 minutes ago, Old Son said:

But that doesn't make Limehouse cheap!

How do we manage to arrive at Limehouse at exactly the time the lock is being opened unless there is some leeway to the proposed charging regime?

There are (curently) 24hr visitor moorings on the East Wall of the Basin

Tim

But will the 24 hour visitor moorings remain if the proposals go through? I realise the visitor moorings will be smaller and there will be less opportunity to breast up due to restrictions in width. There will certainly be fewer moorings available along the cut because I would guess the new visitor moorings will be always full.

2 hours ago, Old Son said:

But that doesn't make Limehouse cheap!

How do we manage to arrive at Limehouse at exactly the time the lock is being opened unless there is some leeway to the proposed charging regime?

Presumably you would do the same as if you arrived and there were no moorings because they were full. 

The existing mooring is generally large enough to enable anybody using the lock to stay for an hour or two. Two boats wide gives more than ample space. I've only been to Limehouse about six times but each time there was space for me to moor.

The proposed layout massively reduces the available free mooring and there will not be the ability to double or treble breast due to the proposed reduced width to enable boats access to and from the lock and marina spaces.

Somewhat depends on the time of locking through. Although there are mooring opportunities outside Limehouse Basin, there is not a lot which is 'just around the corner'. If the locking is early morning or late evening then it adds to the stress of making a Thames transit via Limehouse if there is greater uncertainty over mooring. (I don't want to make the use of Limehouse sound more difficult than it it is but it is something that most canal users will only do rarely)

Early morning locking down: it is highly desirable to be able to moor overnight in Limehouse in order to be able to go through the pre-checks with the lock keeper and be fully focused on the exercise. It would clearly unsatisfactory to have to hover if all the spaces were already full of boats waiting to go down. One solution might be to increase the requirement to book a passage and to accompany that with a guaranteed overnight mooring space.

Late afternoon/evening locking up: after coming in from the Thames then it is highly desirable not to have to continue further but this is a distinct possibility if all the visitor moorings are occupied. Neither the main route nor Limehouse Cut offer much sensible for some distance and, going on towards Paddington does have the real risk that space will not be found that late in the day until well after Little Venice.

Of course, as it stands the operation does need to provide safe haven access through the lock for inbound boats even if not pre-notified. However, given that CaRT have now established reasonably successful on-line facilities for booking places that have limited availability (eg Anderton, Rembrandt Gardens) then if the visitor moorings at Limehouse are to be significantly restricted it would make some sense to consider whether they can be linked with booking transit of the lock. It would be unhelpful if the spaces were occupied by boats that just wanted to stay 24/48 hrs in the area and do not intend using the lock (yes, we have done that!)

Equally, it is not that obvious from the plans whether there will be a significant reduction, bearing in mind that at present (or it was last time we were there!) quite a length on the pontoon has been designated as Disabled Access and not otherwise for Visitor Moorings (not always respected, of course) I could not immediately see whether this designation is being retained in the new layout, but perhaps someone more involved can enlighten us.