wd 40

Featured Posts

I could see some value is spraying selected electrical fittings to keep damp out maybe or things that might seize up if the boat is left over winter. some people say WD40 can attack certain plastics, but as its basically a paraffin and oil mix, I've never been convinced about that or seen it happen*.  I'd suggest a good wipe over with a clean rag would be more beneficial.

*as they say test on an unimportant/inconspicuous area !

It's a superb idea, this is the recommended method ........

1. Mortgage your house
  2. With the money purchase shares in WD-40 Company based in San Diego, California.
  3. Use a large tin on every square two inches of your engine.
  4. Spend the Summer visiting popular boat stopping points and giving guided tours of your engine before reaching under your cratch cover to slip out a couple of cans of WD 40 which could be theirs for merely 20% over the B&Q price.  But worth the little bit more because it's delivered straight to their boat.  If you want to take full advantage of this special offer then buy four for the price of five!

7 hours ago, dreadnought said:

hi all, i was just wondering if anyone one on the forum would recommend spraying your nb engine with WD40,i no a couple of people who have done this and i thought is there any benefit from doing so, many thanks

Why would you even consider doing this? Is there a problem with your engine you are trying to fix? 

If it was a Good Idea it would be widespread basic knowledge.

On the other hand I doubt it would do much harm, despite the other posts warning of dire consequences.  Just seems a bit pointless. 

Not worth the bother, To be honest I don't find much use for it nowadays, a few electrical gremlins on cars and some use as a penetrating oil for seized hinges and things but its not the magic that people think it is.

17 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Are we talking inside or out, We use to spray it into Gas turbine engines when they were not going to be used for a while.

I did the same. But it turned to slimey gunge when mixed with water when washing gt compressors and caused many blockages in air offtakes and even a fire in an anti icing duct i remember.  What/whose gas turbines were you working on ?  I did 5 years in my early service career with Rolls-Royce out of Ansty near Coventry thru the late 1970,s on marine gas turbines Olympus and Tynes for RN destroyers.  Great days.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Bee said:

Not worth the bother, To be honest I don't find much use for it nowadays, a few electrical gremlins on cars and some use as a penetrating oil for seized hinges and things but its not the magic that people think it is.

Proper penetrating oil like Plus gas is much better

2 hours ago, Irob said:

I did the same. But it turned to slimey gunge when mixed with water when washing gt compressors and caused many blockages in air offtakes and even a fire in an anti icing duct i remember.  What/whose gas turbines were you working on ?  I did 5 years in my early service career with Rolls-Royce out of Ansty near Coventry thru the late 1970,s on marine gas turbines Olympus and Tynes for RN destroyers.  Great days.

Avons and RB211s

20 hours ago, dreadnought said:

hi all, i was just wondering if anyone one on the forum would recommend spraying your nb engine with WD40,i no a couple of people who have done this and i thought is there any benefit from doing so, many thanks

I spray it on the injectors to look for leaks.

3 hours ago, Irob said:

I did 5 years in my early service career with Rolls-Royce out of Ansty

The site has shrunk somewhat in recent years and now only does civilian work. They’re selling off 2m sq. ft. of land for new manufacturing businesses. 

1 minute ago, WotEver said:

The site has shrunk somewhat in recent years and now only does civilian work. They’re selling off 2m sq. ft. of land for new manufacturing businesses. 

Do you work there ?   I still pass by on the cut when i do a cruise rugby to coventry and usually overnight next to the railway and overlooking the RR site, just before the Ansty golf course. Its a nice view across the fields to the southwest and sunset over coventry, and the trains are so fast n quiet you can hardly notice them.

2 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Yes pumping gas, I use to enjoy my visits to Ansty, still have an umbrella 

I finished there in 80 and transferred to aeroengine customer service based at RR Derby. I took early pension in 2008 after 38 years and retired to indonesia where i,d worked many years. NHS tempted me back in 2013 and i bought the boat for summers and medicals in uk.  But i do miss working.  RR is a great British company.

Back on subject of wd40, when i was a long haired apprentice at Ansty, i was a bit cheeky to my engine fitter. He bided his time and whispered to a couple of the other guys, when i was taking tea break they pounced, dragged by overalls and pants down and gave my tackle a good lube with wd40 !  Didnt seem to do any lasting harm. It still works anyway !

17 minutes ago, Irob said:

Do you work there ?   I still pass by on the cut when i do a cruise rugby to coventry and usually overnight next to the railway and overlooking the RR site, just before the Ansty golf course. Its a nice view across the fields to the southwest and sunset over coventry, and the trains are so fast n quiet you can hardly notice them.

Nope.  My business is on a farm adjacent to the golf course, but I pass it occasionally and take note of local news. 

1 hour ago, Irob said:

Back on subject of wd40, when i was a long haired apprentice at Ansty, i was a bit cheeky to my engine fitter. He bided his time and whispered to a couple of the other guys, when i was taking tea break they pounced, dragged by overalls and pants down and gave my tackle a good lube with wd40 !  Didnt seem to do any lasting harm. It still works anyway !

Very lucky they did not use Ossotite (black solvent thinned  jointing compound). The mechanics used that on one of my fellow apprentices for similar reasons. He made it worse by trying to clean it off with petrol. He had to ride home on his motorbike with his flys open to try to cool it all down.