Featured Posts

Hello Everyone,

I have a holding tank in my boat which I plan to stop using.  I will using a cassette toilet initially and then later a compost toilet.  I have decided NOT to remove the old metal tank for the following reasons:

1. Would have to take the entire bathroom apart to get the floor boards up
  2. Have heard its a massive job as its likely welded in
  3. Its been there for a long time

I think instead I will clean it out.  I was thinking I would empty it, then fill with clean water and plenty of Elsan Blue.  Leave it for a couple of weeks to break down.  Then get the pressure washer head (with it still full so it doesn't spray in my face!) and try to loosen the crud.  Then pump it out, followed by sucking the rest out with a wet and dry vac.

Then seal the bugger with a rubber access panel and some silicone. Would also leave the breath tube in place. Then do some prayers that the stink wont escape!

I am having the hull checked in a few weeks time, so I'll know if the tank has caused erosion on the base plate (I expect it hasn't).

Keen to hear opinions 

Kind Regards

Stuart

Flushed mine out a couple of times with Jays fluid, seemed to do the trick. Now have a composting loo or separator if you prefer, so now use it for tipping the contents of the urine bottle into it when we can’t find an appropriate place to empty it.

15 hours ago, F DRAYKE said:

Flushed mine out a couple of times with Jays fluid, seemed to do the trick. Now have a composting loo or separator if you prefer, so now use it for tipping the contents of the urine bottle into it when we can’t find an appropriate place to empty it.

I was considering keeping the 150 litre holding tank for storing the urine from the composting toilet.  Wouldn't need emptying for a long time!  The one thing that I can see is a little frustrating with the composing loo is having to empty the urine vessel all the time.  This could solve that, mind you, it could also cause other problems too.  Like encourage corrosion of the tank (vs is just being empty) and having to add treatment to prevent smell.

21 hours ago, Dave Payne said:

I sealed off my second tank, didnt bother with all the faff, just pump out and left the cap off to vent for a while, then when the toilet was removed just sealed up the hole.

Never had any stink from it.

Thanks, good to know, perhaps my proposed method is OTT

Edited by Keajre

6 hours ago, Keajre said:

I was considering keeping the 150 litre holding tank for storing the urine from the composting toilet.  Wouldn't need emptying for a long time!  The one thing that I can see is a little frustrating with the composing loo is having to empty the urine vessel all the time.  This could solve that, mind you, it could also cause other problems too.  Like encourage corrosion of the tank (vs is just being empty) and having to add treatment to prevent smell.

Thanks, good to know, perhaps my proposed method is OTT

We do not add anything  to the tank and have no smells from it.