Skin fitting - heater exhaust

Featured Posts

I've had a search of threads but have come up with several answers. I'm wanting to fit the exhaust for the Webasto, I have the appropriate skin fitting but my options for where it goes are either below the rubbing strake (centered 15cm above water line) or above the rubbing strake (centered 30cm above the water line).

Looking at various other holes in the side (skin fittings) that I have already, they vary from not a lot upwards - I think depending on what happens with them inside the boat (I read about lesser height rules if it goes in a strong hose, traveling upward).

But as this is an exhaust, I thought not too far up the side might be good for avoiding smelling the fumes?

Hole saw on standbye :)

My opinion (others are available)

Being on the Thames - Mount it as high as you can - the 'odd fumes' are pretty unimportant compared to having the engine flooded by a wave breaking along side the boat and running back down the exhaust.

Someone recently posted a picture of  their boat on the Thames with a wave at Gunwhale level rolling down the length of the boat.

1 hour ago, Robbo said:

At Clarence Dock there is a pontoon with a melted floating thingy (technical term) due to the exhaust heat from a heater.   

Seen several of them, I also saw a smouldering mooring line. If you come up a slip  for blacking make sure you have a plug in it. If its in the side I wouldn't want to be beside you in a lock having a heat gun working on my paint