2 into 1 crimps

WotEver

Featured Posts

51 minutes ago, NMEA said:

Do you mean Piggy back spades, but splices or something else?

A butt splice but with a double entry on one end.

Basically I need to splice into a few wires that already terminate in multipin plugs. So I’m trying to find a professional way of creating a waterproof (or at least corrosion resistant) three-way connection. 

37 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Not what you asked but what about the old bullet connectors with a twin receptacle. Then you could use ordinary crimp on bullets with adhesive sleeves. (Asd used on old car lighting circuits).

Yup, that could work, Tony. It has the advantage that it’s demountable. 

Have you seen these?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Quick-Splice-Lock-Wire-Terminals-Connectors-Electrical-Crimp-Cable-Snap/252295874219?epid=2061799778&hash=item3abe0186ab:m:mvaeVvG9coypm-_cRNNTDXQ

They look a bit better than standard scotchlok but not too waterproof.  Some self amalgamating tape would help with that.  I have used the double bullets which Tony suggested in the same circumstances.

Fully tinned Japanese Y bullets would do you perfectly, corrosion resistant and demountable. They have proper ads cheek crisps for secure strain relief and separate insulating boots. If you Google Y bullet terminals it should bring some up.

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

Not what you asked but what about the old bullet connectors with a twin receptacle. Then you could use ordinary crimp on bullets with adhesive sleeves. (Asd used on old car lighting circuits).

One "gotcha" with this I found is that the crimp bullets can be different sizes depending on the colour code. I got some from Vehicle Wiring Products, and found the blue ones were the same size as the solder ones, the red ones were smaller and the yellow ones larger. 

I know the Jap type have smaller diameter and a different shape but not that the UK types were different. Probably makes sense because  they are supposed to mate with a female version. However those old mid-sections may well  unroll enough to get a larger bullet in.

1 hour ago, NMEA said:

Fully tinned Japanese Y bullets would do you perfectly, corrosion resistant and demountable. They have proper ads cheek crisps for secure strain relief and separate insulating boots. If you Google Y bullet terminals it should bring some up.

Thanks. Does this listing looking like the kind of quality you’d look for? Looks like a nice little assortment  

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bullet-Connectors-Terminals-3-9mm-Male-Female-Double-Assortment-Japanese-/170711512131?_mwBanner=1

2 hours ago, Onewheeler said:

Screwfix 76776 or similar?

Too big and clumsy unfortunately. 5 of those part way down a loom would look a mess. 

27 minutes ago, pearley said:

All the nice ones are US based. 

2 hours ago, philjw said:

Have you seen these?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Quick-Splice-Lock-Wire-Terminals-Connectors-Electrical-Crimp-Cable-Snap/252295874219?epid=2061799778&hash=item3abe0186ab:m:mvaeVvG9coypm-_cRNNTDXQ

They look a bit better than standard scotchlok but not too waterproof.  Some self amalgamating tape would help with that.  I have used the double bullets which Tony suggested in the same circumstances.

Yeah, as with Scotchlock or T-Tap they’re a bit of a bodge imho. 

4 hours ago, WotEver said:

Hi all. Anyone know a UK supplier of 2 into 1 crimp connectors with adhesive lined heat shrink? For 1mm2 cable. 

Google isn’t helping much. 

Thanks, Tony

Have you tried cablecraft, they sell all sorts and the quality is good

I had the same problem a few years back and put two wires together into one end of a crimp, so far no problems, though I agree it is not best practice and not something I would do on a salty water boat.  Since then I use Wago connectors in a few locations.

As an aside I use the 3 port Wago connectors for connecting pumps etc, that way if/when the pump packs up it's quick and easy to change.  The reason for the 3rd port?  the multimeter probe goes in there if ever fault finding.

Added - when criming I never twist the two wires together, as twisting is bad.

Edited by Chewbacka

16 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

Added - when criming I never twist the two wires together, as twisting is bad.

Absolutely. It is verboten. I knew a QC chap who not only confirmed no twist on the strands but would use a small pick and with the aid of a jeweller’s loup would count the strands sticking out the end of the terminal. If it was one short he’d condemn that wireman’s output for the day. 

Certainly 20 years ago car looms would use solder for a splice - don't know if they still do -  the 'main' wire was not cut but stripped back and the splice wire gently wrapped around and then soldered.  The splice wire was then firmly taped to the main wire to keep stress away from the solder and the whole bundle put into a conduit.

12 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

Certainly 20 years ago car looms would use solder for a splice - don't know if they still do -  the 'main' wire was not cut but stripped back and the splice wire gently wrapped around and then soldered.  The splice wire was then firmly taped to the main wire to keep stress away from the solder and the whole bundle put into a conduit.

And many used crimps. 

An awful lot of vehicle manufacturers will not allow soldering nowadays. The recommended method, which then retains the warranty, is adhesive lined crimps. 

11 minutes ago, pearley said:

And many used crimps. 

An awful lot of vehicle manufacturers will not allow soldering nowadays. The recommended method, which then retains the warranty, is adhesive lined crimps. 

Sorry I was not clear, I was not talking about after market, but designed that way by the vehicle manufacturer, they were buried 'deep' in the loom, so not obvious.

2 hours ago, Chewbacka said:

Sorry I was not clear, I was not talking about after market, but designed that way by the vehicle manufacturer, they were buried 'deep' in the loom, so not obvious.

Perhaps I wasn't clear either, many manufacturers of the 90s used crimps to join wires together. I repaired enough of them. 

The aftermarket thing was to show current thinking. 

Edited by pearley

7 hours ago, WotEver said:

Basically I need to splice into a few wires that already terminate in multipin plugs. So I’m trying to find a professional way of creating a waterproof (or at least corrosion resistant) three-way connection.

What about Posi-tap?