LED TV Fault - Replace or Repair?

cheshire~rose

Featured Posts

We have a Tesco LED TV/ DVD combi on our boat which has served us well and I suspect is around 7-8 years old now. It being a leisure boat it doesn't get as much use as the one at home but equally has to tolerate the extreme changes in temperature and humidity levels when we arrive on a Friday night in the winter and bank the stove up to thaw the place out which I suspect doesn't do electronic stuff a lot of good. 

It has developed horizontal lines on the screen:

27164085_10155920686209070_5365625014969

It has happened a few times recently then cleared when we fiddled with it but yesterday it failed to clear so we brought it home and tried attaching it to our coax cable at home to ensure the problem was not the ariel. It is not!

My thought is that these things are fairly inexpensive and it is probably not even worth taking it in to get a quote for repair but before I take it to the tip I know there are some folks here that understand these things better than us and is there anything we ought to try? 

Sadly the trend for ever larger TV screens predicts that a 19" TV /DVD combi is a rare beast these days and so when it comes to replacement we have very little choice unless we are prepared to go up in size by a couple of inches. We can fit it in the place this one went but I really dislike the thoght of one corner of the boat being dominated by a screen that is not the right scale for such a small space 

Just now, Machpoint005 said:

The cost of replacing the LED screen will be vastly more than replacing the TC in its entirety.

19-inch TVs are still available though.

Thanks, I guessed that would be the case but I didn't know if the fault was the screen or if it could be a problem with some other circuit board or connection. 

Yes 19" TV's are still available but without going into the realms of "Travel TV" marketed for the caravan and campervan brigade at over £300 I can only find an Alba one available so far, so the choice really is Hobson's! 

8 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

We have, as do others, the Cello 22" telly with built in DVD player and freeview. 12/240v. Has 'regulator' to stabilise 12v. Nothing spectacular. I think we paid £185 from Acdctv.co.uk

just a thought.

:o AC/DC and TV...............can you use such language in 2018!!

19 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I just sold mine for £50, didn't realise they were rare :(

Like most things.

When you are a buyer - seller says : (big sucking of teeth) "these are really difficult to find you know, not cheap, every one is looking for one, well worth the money"

When you are a seller - buyer says : (big sucking of teeth) "these things are pretty much worthless, old technology and out-of-date, no one wants them these days"

It doesn't seem to matter if it is a car, a boat, a piece of furniture, a domestic appliance - or even a TV.

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

I just sold mine for £50, didn't realise they were rare :(

The problem with spending £50 on a second hand one is there is no way to know how long before it too fails. I can get one for £119 with a guarantee and I know it is brand new when I buy it so I think you probably did well to get £50 for yours

1 hour ago, Nightwatch said:

We have, as do others, the Cello 22" telly with built in DVD player and freeview. 12/240v. Has 'regulator' to stabilise 12v. Nothing spectacular. I think we paid £185 from Acdctv.co.uk

just a thought.

That sounds a reasonable price for a travel TV. We have always used ours on the inverter. Like everything that ever goes wrong it's just the wrong time to be buying because we are unsure at present if we will keep this boat and if we do, how long for. 

2 hours ago, cheshire~rose said:

Thanks, I guessed that would be the case but I didn't know if the fault was the screen or if it could be a problem with some other circuit board or connection. 

Yes 19" TV's are still available but without going into the realms of "Travel TV" marketed for the caravan and campervan brigade at over £300 I can only find an Alba one available so far, so the choice really is Hobson's! 

I bought one of these a couple of months ago. At under £150, perfectly adequate and suited to a boat.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cello-12-Volt-C20230F-20-LED-TV-DVD-Caravan-Motorhome-HGV/322760545512?hash=item4b260714e8:g:lroAAOSww9xZAedB

4 minutes ago, dor said:

When the DVDs failed on our Cello, but the tv was still good, we just bought a £20dvd player.  You could combine this with a 19" free view to.

The interference on the screen is the same whether using TV or DVD so unfortunately that is not going to help 

Unfortunately the labour costs here in the UK where you would need to get it fixed, compared to China where it likely is made dictate that it will be much cheaper to bin it and buy new. (You can substitute China with many other countries too).

Cello and Avtex have a good reputation amongst Caravanners where they are also subject to a bit of 'rough and tumble' but seem to last it out.

That looks like a  fault with the connection to the display panel. If you have nothing better to do, disconnect the set from the supply, take the back off , a few screws there, and look for a flat ribbon cable 1 or 2 inches wide going from the main board to the display panel . Carefully unplug either end (sometimes only one end can be disconnected, other soldered) in turn and put them back. Re-assemble and try it . If that's fixed it ,good . If it hasn't,bin it and get a new one as anything else is terminal.

Bill

• Greenie 2

My mate runs a TV shop across from my mums house he does a great trade in repairing tvs, but the cheaper end of the market under £400 are normally made by one turkish company! LG and Samsung being the exception.

He is very good at his stuff and when my campervan tv went like yours he just threw it in the bin for me to save me the pain of doing it myself :unsure:

53 minutes ago, billh said:

That looks like a  fault with the connection to the display panel. If you have nothing better to do, disconnect the set from the supply, take the back off , a few screws there, and look for a flat ribbon cable 1 or 2 inches wide going from the main board to the display panel . Carefully unplug either end (sometimes only one end can be disconnected, other soldered) in turn and put them back. Re-assemble and try it . If that's fixed it ,good . If it hasn't,bin it and get a new one as anything else is terminal.

Bill

Thank you Billh, That was exactly the sort of little tip I was hoping for, I always think if we tried something and failed then at least we tried.

Dave just did as you suggested and the fault is still the same so I will be taking a trip to the tip this afternoon 

2 hours ago, cheshire~rose said:

The interference on the screen is the same whether using TV or DVD so unfortunately that is not going to help 

I thought you would probably have to buy a new TV - it's just that DVD players are so cheap these days you might find more choice in TVs with buying a HDTV only rather than trying to find one with built in DVD to the size you want.

17 minutes ago, dor said:

I thought you would probably have to buy a new TV - it's just that DVD players are so cheap these days you might find more choice in TVs with buying a HDTV only rather than trying to find one with built in DVD to the size you want.

Sadly it does not seem to make much difference, it is the size that is the issue and I can get a TV without DVD for £100 or with DVD for £120 

as has been suggested, pop the back off and check connectors are sat correctly.

after that move on to check the capacitors, if any have bulging ends that could be your problem, they are reasonably cheap to source and don't require much fiddly soldering to replace.
if the fault tends to go away after the set is "warmed up" that's what i'd be guessing at, but eventually as the caps get worse that will stop happening.

do a quick google for "bad caps" and you'll get a lot more info ;)

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I did as you suggested and got this (and loads of other similar ones)

Image result for bad caps

i'd suggest that points more towards Google targeting your browsing preferences, are you a secret connoisseur of questionable millinery? ;)

my own search yielded more like this;

bad_caps.jpg