Canal carriers working in the brickfields.

Ursamajor4148

Featured Posts

Dunno where Darren drags up these images from, great stuff. Esp when you realise what a pita it was to get photos developed in those days and industrial stuff must have been low in the list of priorities for camera owners.

1 minute ago, mark99 said:

Dunno where Darren drags up these images from, great stuff. Esp when you realise what a pita it was to get photos developed in those days and industrial stuff must have been low in the list of priorities for camera owners.

Agree 100% - amazing images - thank you Darren.

There's a fascination in the past that not everyone shares, but many do, and it grows with aging. It seems to me that things change with such rapidity, that once familar places are eradicated, it is like part of your own life is ripped from existence in the name of so called progress. Seeing such images are almost like small parts of a former life has, for a while, been rediscovered - these things were - and here is the proof. Memories, and in a way - life - becomes re-kindled. Many thanks.

Those are terrific photos Darren - are they yours? Di and I first became interested in Pocock some 20 odd years ago, and Di has delved into his history on and off since then. She’s now half way through a book about him due for publication in the Autumn, and if anyone has any information relating to the Pocock family in any way she would like to hear.

• 3 months later...
On 28/01/2019 at 09:19, Tim Lewis said:

Sabey 1.JPG

I was interested to read in yesterday's Times that BBC have had to postpone their proposed episode of Who Do You Think You Are? featuring Ronnie Wood as his family proved to be too complicated and they need a lot more time to research it properly. The report does mention his parents Elizabeth and Arthur and their boats Orient and Antelope.

The programme should make interesting viewing if they ever get it together.

Tam

Edited by Tam & Di
correction for spill-check

29 minutes ago, mark99 said:

Can't help but think the distinguished looking man on the right looks like Whacko. Jimmy Edwards.

That’s my great grandad 

Here is is steering the tug Fastnet 

93CF15F4-237F-4D90-AEBC-A0B699709E9B.jpeg

Edited by ChimneyChain
  • Greenie 1
  • Happy 2

14 hours ago, Tam & Di said:

I was interested to read in yesterday's Times that BBC have had to postpone their proposed episode of Who Do You Think You Are? featuring Ronnie Wood as his family proved to be too complicated and they need a lot more time to research it properly. The report does mention his parents Elizabeth and Arthur and their boats Orient and Antelope.

The programme should make interesting viewing if they ever get it together.

Tam

My understanding is it has been shelved because despite signing an agreement of silence with the firm that was doing the reaserch one of them let the cat out the bag  & reported all on another site . (NOT ME)

They had all the family tree complicated yes even i struggle to explain all the connections as woods tie into my grandads side 8 times & also into my nannys side plus many other boating familys . Ronnie & i share the same GGG grandparents are  2nd cousin in one line 3rd in another  .Yes it would have been great to watch one of the few chances for people to get an inside look at the day to day living on how life was inside the cabin .As some on here know i am not a fan of Ronnie who's actions  almost caused me to drown as a child but a great source of info for some  now shelved for another day

• Greenie 1

• 4 years later...

In the early 1900's my Nan, her sisters and brother were born in Keans Cottages. Miller was her surname and father was George Miller. I know my nan lived there until 1920 and her sister remained at Keans Cottages for many more years.

• Greenie 2