Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
jenevers

Brewing tea

Featured Posts

10 minutes ago, carlt said:

That's a coincidence...The OH brews her blueberry tea (not real tea) until it is the colour of Skeletor...

0003990_skeletor-14_600.jpeg

By the power of Earl Greyskull! 

• Greenie 2

On 1/18/2018 at 10:18, jenevers said:

Also, do you add milk or tea first in a cup, and why?

Milk first,  that way you don't burn/scald the milk which then flavours the tea. If you do the milk second the first drop that hits the tea is heated instantly to almost boiling point and scalds. As you pour the cold milk in the liquid in the cup will be cooled by the milk from about 100°C to 90°C so some of the milk experiences very high temperatures. 

If you add the milk first the liquid in the cup will go up from 4°C (milk at fridge temperature) to 90°C but will never be as high as in the milk second example!

Edited by NickF

45 minutes ago, Dave Payne said:

No need to faff with milk/water first.

Yes but I like faffing! I am good at it!

19 hours ago, NickF said:

Yes but I like faffing! I am good at it!

Yeah me too, to be fair i usually boil the kettle then open the lid and leave for 30 seconds, then pour straight onto tea leaves/ground coffee.

Evidence of He-Man's lack of power to maintain a constant skin colour for tea comparison purposes, he goes through three distinct shades in this clip alone:

On 1/22/2018 at 15:48, NickF said:

Milk first,  that way you don't burn/scald the milk which then flavours the tea....

On the other hand if you are making tea in the cup with a bag then you always add milk after the tea has mashed otherwise the milk cools the water to below boiling which ruins the tea.

On 1/26/2018 at 06:56, carlt said:

On the other hand if you are making tea in the cup with a bag then you always add milk after the tea has mashed otherwise the milk cools the water to below boiling which ruins the tea.

I agree entirely and am now in a complete quandary ... I have no idea what to do!