Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
jenevers

Brewing tea

Featured Posts

One bag of Yorkshire Tea in a tea pot, brewed for 5 minutes, gives us 2mugs of strong tea. I see people often putting a tea bag in each mug for a minute. What a waste of money.

Also, do you add milk or tea first in a cup, and why?

Edited by jenevers

3 minutes ago, jenevers said:

One bag of Yorkshire Tea in a tea pot, brewed for 5 minutes, gives us 2mugs of strong tea. I see people often putting a tea bag in each mug for a minute. What a waste of money.

Drink of the devil...........never touch it YUK............Yorkshire tea my backside!!

Either one bag of typhoo and a level spoon of sugar,  no milk, gopping stuff and the way to ruin a brew, mash and stir until bottom of cup disappears

Or a proper loose leaf tea in a proper pot, bout 3 spoons and allow to brew for about 4/5 minutes depending on blend.

25 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Or a proper loose leaf tea in a proper pot

I agree about the loose leaf tea, but can't be bothered with the teapot ritual.  I just use a tea infuser like this:

280x280_fit.313569.jpg.ce56de6a3b0590e5d8392480dafd98e5.jpg

33 minutes ago, jenevers said:

Agree about the tea bags. Ghastly drink bearing no relation to tea. 

Even Karl Marx had views on this, if a bit odd. "Proper tea is theft", I think he said...

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, koukouvagia said:

I agree about the loose leaf tea, but can't be bothered with the teapot ritual.  I just use a tea infuser like this:

280x280_fit.313569.jpg.ce56de6a3b0590e5d8392480dafd98e5.jpg

I use something similar to a coffee cafetière with a finer mesh, the pot is also insulated, works well

5 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Agree about the tea bags. Ghastly drink bearing no relation to tea

Even Karl Marx had views on this, if a bit odd. "Proper tea is theft", I think he said...

You might need to try Aldi gold tea bags - one per mug, as intended, leave for 5 minutes before adding milk.

However I strongly suspect it's more to do with the water. We get a lovely brew in Manchester, courtesy of our soft water. Same in most of Yorkshire. Dahn in the decadent Sarf the water is already revolting before you put anything into it. 

• Greenie 1

54 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

I didn't know they grew tea in Yorkshire.  Is it grown alongside the liquorice?

"Nah" they cultivate it in the Rhubarb triangle kept in the dark that's why you've not heard about it :lol: Hope it's improved from the rally we attended some years back as part of the pack given to entries was a box of "Yorkshire" tea bags think they were just getting going Have to say at that not in the big league even with the dispensing of the bags & putting the leaves in the pot  Mind our "working days" days tea brewing was some what unconventional Metal teapot several spoons of tea leaves add boiling water stand on lit cabin range fill mugs as required top up with water & add more leaves as required  when leaves reach spout bottom a difficult to pour empty pot & start over never quite used it 24/7 but it came near on occasions

2 hours ago, jenevers said:

Hate teabags, they are banned on our boat. Proper loose leaf tea in a pot, thankyou very much! And a teacosy to keep it hot because one mug of tea is never enough.

milk in first, simply because if you put the milk in second you have to stir it (neither of us take sugar, which would negate the aforementioned as it would have to be stirred anyway).

11 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

See my post no.8?

Wonderful thing, an open mind.

I can always taste the paper, even if the quality of the tea is OK. Well, for every teabag I've tried including "quality" ones. I do have an open mind. Just like my teabags (open so one can put the tea in the pot without the paper bag:D)

Anyway 1) You have to start again to have a second cup and

2) We dump our used tea into the cut, I wouldn't like to do that with paper bags.

16 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

We dump our used tea into the cut, I wouldn't like to do that with paper bags.

I'm with Telemachus on this one for just the same reasons.  There is plastic in most teabags apparently:

www.theguardian.com/environment/2010/jul/02/teabags-biodegradeable

I expect it's an age thing but maybe I was indoctrinated when attending a tea party with the Brooke Bond chimps as a nipper

Teabags sent over or brought over from UK here, for morning tea. Teabags are sold in the local supermarkets, but they are eye wateringly expensive. Tea is brewed in a proper teapot, a beautiful duralumin job by Picquotware.

Afternoon tea is loose leaf tea, a mix of breakfast tea and Assam, in the aforesaid pot.

A teacosy always so that teatime can last an hour or more.

The water here is nice and soft as we are on granite on the edge of the Massif Central.

18 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

Teabags sent over or brought over from UK here, for morning tea. Teabags are sold in the local supermarkets, but they are eye wateringly expensive. Tea is brewed in a proper teapot, a beautiful duralumin job by Picquotware.

Afternoon tea is loose leaf tea, a mix of breakfast tea and Assam, in the aforesaid pot.

A teacosy always so that teatime can last an hour or more.

The water here is nice and soft as we are on granite on the edge of the Massif Central.

That's the key to it, I suspect!

I have a theory that Yorkshire Tea (the brand) is formulated for soft Harrogate water, and this explains why it doesn't taste right in the chemical excuses that pass for water in other places. 

55 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

I can always taste the paper, even if the quality of the tea is OK.

Have you tested this with a blind tasting?

Just askin'.

1 hour ago, Machpoint005 said:

That's the key to it, I suspect!

I have a theory that Yorkshire Tea (the brand) is formulated for soft Harrogate water, and this explains why it doesn't taste right in the chemical excuses that pass for water in other places. 

Have you tested this with a blind tasting?

Just askin'.

No, but that would be hard as you'd really need the exact same tea with and without the paper. Well OK I suppose you could do it by cutting open a teabag. Hmmm, anyway I am happy with my position even if it is imaginary!

6 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

I didn't know they grew tea in Yorkshire.  Is it grown alongside the liquorice?

Precisely. Being born and raised close to Pontefract there were several liquorice fields near us as a youngster but absolutely no tea!! Marketing nonsense at its best. There is still one small liquorice field but all the rest are gone  :(

4 hours ago, nicknorman said:

Hate teabags, they are banned on our boat. Proper loose leaf tea in a pot, thankyou very much! And a teacosy to keep it hot because one mug of tea is never enough.

milk in first, simply because if you put the milk in second you have to stir it (neither of us take sugar, which would negate the aforementioned as it would have to be stirred anyway).

It's always good to know that the butler is receiving clear instruction!

I'm surprised to see the reference to "mugs" though - I would have assumed a full bone china tea service, with proper cups and saucers.

22 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

It's always good to know that the butler is receiving clear instruction!

I'm surprised to see the reference to "mugs" though - I would have assumed a full bone china tea service, with proper cups and saucers.

No, never liked a tea cup. Doesn't hold enough tea. The thing is, when you are proper posh, you don't have to worry about what other people think, you just do what you are comfortable with. It is only the social climbers that worry about that sort of thing.

Despite all the cynicism (my own included) about "Yorkshire" tea, one of the earliest references to tea in the UK comes from a bill of sale dated 1664 from, ?---  Yes Yorkshire

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-42665167

Edited by David Schweizer

23 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

Despite all the cynicism (my own included) about "Yorkshire" tea, one of the earliest references to tea in the UK comes from a bill of sale dated 1664 from, ?---  Yes Yorkshire

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-42665167

Well, it took me a while, but the four shilling bottle of tea (for medicinal use) in that item would be equivalent to £25 today.  I'd give up my Earl Grey if it cost that much.

6 hours ago, philjw said:

I'm with Telemachus on this one for just the same reasons.  There is plastic in most teabags apparently:

www.theguardian.com/environment/2010/jul/02/teabags-biodegradeable

I expect it's an age thing but maybe I was indoctrinated when attending a tea party with the Brooke Bond chimps as a nipper

I only recently found out there's plastic in tea bags! Won't be buying them again. I always thought they happily rotted away. 

I prefer loose tea in a pot, so no hardship to give up the tea bags. 

6 hours ago, Stilllearning said:

That's been my afternoon habit too, without milk though. A decent tea don't need milk