wild night.

Rickent

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

And I thought it was going to be a description of some debauchery.......    But we seem to be having completely different weather from everyone else - has no-one else got snow?

Snow2018.jpg

No snow here but I had to retrieve our wheelie bin from 2 doors down at 5am and pick up various items in the garden once it got light. 

Chimney's, Coolie Hats, Solar Panels plus other stuff all over the marina this morning. Found someones solar panel in my well deck this morning. Quite a few cratch covers ripped as well. Some people are going to make a few bob out of this storm. If you want to keep your chimney in place use a hose clamp around the base.

7 hours ago, Athy said:

Our weeping willow does not appear to have fared too well - has demolished part of next door's outhouses - on the phone to the insurance company now.

No indoor plumbing in Upwell?

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

28 minutes ago, nbfiresprite said:

No indoor plumbing in Upwell?

OUThouses I said! They are in fact stables, but luckily the one whose roof was demolished by our tree did not have a horse in it at the time, only poultry.

6 minutes ago, Athy said:

OUThouses I said! They are in fact stables, but luckily the one whose roof was demolished by our tree did not have a horse in it at the time, only poultry.

From my OED

Outhouse. An outhouse, also known by many other names, is a small structure, separate from a main building, which covers one or more toilets. This is typically either a pit latrine (long drop) or a bucket toilet, but other forms of dry (non-flushing) toilets may be encountered. The term may also be used to denote the toilet itself.

Chicken on the menu tonight?

1 minute ago, nbfiresprite said:

From my OED

Outhouse. An outhouse, also known by many other names, is a small structure, separate from a main building, which covers one or more toilets. This is typically either a pit latrine (long drop) or a bucket toilet, but other forms of dry (non-flushing) toilets may be encountered. The term may also be used to denote the toilet itself.

Chicken on the menu tonight?

Yes, it can be a euphemism for an outside latrine, but equally can mean any building on a property but not attached to the main dwelling.

No, duck as it happens. The hens, I believe, all survived.

7 hours ago, Athy said:

Our weeping willow does not appear to have fared too well - has demolished part of next door's outhouses - on the phone to the insurance company now.

I imagine it's only me but I am slightly disappointed by the lack of photos of the failure point of the tree

6 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

I imagine it's only me but I am slightly disappointed by the lack of photos of the failure point of the tree

Not the whole tree - a large (30 foot?) bough broke off at least 20 feet above ground level.

12 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

OK, TM.  Here's our local tree failure point, after the car was retrieved from under it.  Yes, there is evidence of rot at the point of failure.  Oak.  Waiting for the owner to come back from skiing in Italy to take the car away before I drag it down.  (They didn't need to go to Italy - I had an excellent afternoon's skiing up in the forest here today.)

Tree.jpg

2 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

OK, TM.  Here's our local tree failure point, after the car was retrieved from under it.  Yes, there is evidence of rot at the point of failure.  Oak.  Waiting for the owner to come back from skiing in Italy to take the car away before I drag it down.  (They didn't need to go to Italy - I had an excellent afternoon's skiing up in the forest here today.)

Tree.jpg

Thats an intresting combination of issues, extended lateral limb, snow loading and you say some fungi issue, plus I suspect some structural issue with the branch union.

Plus an intriguing looking buttress

12 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Yeah, unless its the photo thats not too clear the base of the stem looks very swollen

No, I think that's another tree at an angle.  The kids used to have a swing on that tree thirty years ago, before that branch fell off as well.