What finish to use for fireproof board

Featured Posts

If you should end up using tiles (in my opinion the only practical solution) use porcelain as they withstand the hear much better than ceramic.

Porcelain are harder, more dense and have better temperature resistance (important when they are only inches away from a 'red-hot' stove)

Ceramic on the floor with Porcelain on the walls.

Porcelain tiles on our little 30' NB

IMG_20130912_123236.jpg

38 minutes ago, Anothermouse said:

Hi, everyone, long time lurker... I assumed I would tile mine but then realized it had few right angles !! . Was given advice to use outdoor masonry paint , it seems heatproof , guess houses sometimes get really hot, only needed 2 sample size pots from wickes.

Neither Sandtex nor Dulux would appear to agree with you. 

https://www.sandtextrade.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Sandtex-Trade-365-All-Weather-Masonry-Safety-Data-Sheet.pdf

https://www.duluxtradepaintexpert.co.uk/web/pdf/safetysheets/SDS418.pdf

I’m working on a new build currently with a traditional back cabin. The owner has asked me to scumble the fibre board recently installed behind the range and above where the middle pipe goes from range to chimney collar. I’ve scumbled part of the areas previously, not the whole.....as long as the range is used moderately, I hope that scorching won’t be a problem. Time will tell.

Dave

Not directly behind the fire. The wall beside the chimney was getting a bit warm so I installed some fire proof board with a air gap and sprayed it brown with this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Warm-Brown-Stove-Spray-Bbq-Chimenea-Spray-Paint-400-ml-large-tin-Heat-Resistant/322646430182?hash=item4b1f39d1e6:g:K68AAOSwCypWoLxh

The curtains are no longer ghastly green, but strangely enough no problem with the new curtains getting warm.

DSCF4895.jpg

DSCF4897.jpg

Edited by Ray T

Our stove at home sits in a constructed ingle nook chamber which is lined with fireboard. We asked our hetas installer if it could simply be emulsioned and he confirmed this was ok which is what we did.

15 hours ago, dave moore said:

I hope that scorching won’t be a problem. Time will tell.

Dave

On our previous boat there was scumbling behind the stove and painted fireboard at the side.  Both remained perfectly OK for decades.

On our newly refurbished butty, I have the same arrangement and don¨t expect any problems.