RIP Trevor Maggs

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

This was a most excellent way to remember  Trevor and what a large turnout to say goodbye to a real gentleman of the canal. Having known him for 50years I was really amazed to see how well known he was and with genuine affection by so many people many of whom I did not know.

david

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who attended the funeral yesterday, and also afterwards at the Barley Mow.

After a few discussions prior with Nick Hill we were expecting a good turnout, but by lunchtime it became apparent that 'we were going to need a bigger boat', so we were very lucky and grateful for the people at Rainsbrook who changed us to the larger chapel. It was great to talk with so many of you, and also to catch up with a few faces I hadn't seen for many many years.

It was heartwarming to know that he had so many good friends, and hopefully between us, we did Trevor proud!

• Greenie 2

Sorry to hear the news.  I live too far away to have attended the funeral.  Here's an old memory of Trevor Maggs: he joined Trevor Jones for a few days in July 1969 on Comet & Betelgeuse, southbound loaded for Croxley.  The picture was taken whilst waiting for a dredge to pull itself out of the way, somewhere on the GU.

dredger2 (Medium).jpg

Edited by Waterway2go
picture too big

7 hours ago, Waterway2go said:

Sorry to hear the news.  I live too far away to have attended the funeral.  Here's an old memory of Trevor Maggs: he joined Trevor Jones for a few days in July 1969 on Comet & Betelgeuse, southbound loaded for Croxley.  The picture was taken whilst waiting for a dredge to pull itself out of the way, somewhere on the GU.

dredger2 (Medium).jpg

Tony Jones surely?

9 hours ago, Waterway2go said:

dredger2 (Medium).jpg

Looks like the tug "Ruislip"beside them to me - now owned by one of those who attended the funeral.

I didn't know Trevor well except as a "fixture" on the waterways scene over the last 50 years or so but all the postings and pictures definitely make one reflect on how fortunate he was to have truly lived the life we all love and over such a long period - I'm sure his life had its challenges but he was blessed to have had so many friends and to have really lived his life - well done Trevor!

Hello everyone, 

we definitely didn’t expect so many people to attend but it was amazing to see how many people my Uncle met, because we underestimated the turn out there weren’t enough order or service booklets, fortunately I made them myself out of my uncles art work, handwriting, his photographs and my artwork, so here is the order of service in a digital format that you can have 

1E9A43E0-99F6-45CF-8A58-D9085626EDE4.jpeg

8097FFFF-F4BA-4EA0-A706-4BCB9EDCC3E0.jpeg

• Greenie 2

On 21/02/2018 at 19:02, AVincent said:

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who attended the funeral yesterday, and also afterwards at the Barley Mow.

After a few discussions prior with Nick Hill we were expecting a good turnout, but by lunchtime it became apparent that 'we were going to need a bigger boat', so we were very lucky and grateful for the people at Rainsbrook who changed us to the larger chapel. It was great to talk with so many of you, and also to catch up with a few faces I hadn't seen for many many years.

It was heartwarming to know that he had so many good friends, and hopefully between us, we did Trevor proud!

I would like to thank Trevor's family for having an 'open door' approach to what can often be a private and personal family event. I hope they can find some peace in their hearts with the knowledge that Trevor was such a liked and respected member of the canal community, and for me his memory will live on every time I see CORONA in the future - and I hope this boat goes on to give its future owners as much pleasure as it did Trevor.  

• Greenie 2

Yes it must have been rather disconcerting to have such a large crowd present that you didn't know, so thank you. 

I just wanted to mention the photo montage part of the service, which I thought was one of the highlights, and thank those on here who contributed their pictures.