RIP Trevor Maggs

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, gvincent said:

I found out only ten days after he died that his great grandfather (Thomas Gee) and his great great grandfather (William Gee) were boatmen on the Grand Union.

Guy Vincent

Hello Guy

There where to my knowledge 4 different Gee familys  I don't have a lot of info on them but 2 lots def worked the Grand Union  would your Thomas  be a Thomas Gee/Watkins who's wife was called Emma this Thomas had a brother's George & Robert & a sister Eliza there may have been others but these are the ones i have on my list 

Trevor on Corona heading north through Stoke Bruerne on 30th May 2017 after attending the Ricky Festival.

A much loved and greatly respected gentleman who attended every one of our 'Village at War' events.

R.I.P Trevor. 

20170730_135637.jpg

20170730_135930.jpg

20170730_140057.jpg

When I bought my first boat in 1975, a grp cruiser, I was moored opposite Trevor in Willow Wren Arm at Rugby. He was always courteous and free with his advice to a newbie. he never looked down on my poor boat, but rather welcomed me to the boating community. I seem to remember that even then he said he had owned Corona for longer than anyone else, although it might have been a few years later. He was always a gentleman and an expert boater, used to drive a nice Jaguar too. Strangely even decades later he knew me by name, even though we hadn't met except at boat rallies over the years.  Nice bloke.

Hi all, sorry for taking so long to confirm back, but as posted by Alan Fincher, the funeral is at Rainsbrook Crematorium, Rugby, on Tuesday 20th February at 2.30.

It is open to everyone and we will be meeting up afterwards at a local canal-side pub for a drink ... we are still sorting arrangements but will confirm as soon as it's sorted.

I am sorry but just come back from holiday and heard this very sad news. I first meet Trevor in the early 70’s after we had brought Tadworth and we often loaded together and travelled together. I have a photo of us loading at Atherstone I think in 1973. Trveor was working with Colin on the Actis and I was single handed.

FB58D6E6-1D34-4F24-8234-51A36FD7C37E.jpeg

On 2/5/2018 at 20:32, Dav and Pen said:

Managed to scan an old photo of Trevor as a much younger man about 1973 he always wore a sports jacket as did Mike Black (the steerer)unlike the rest of the scruffy bunch

D2ED7F7D-CCF5-4368-A5CE-6DCB10E3AF2D.jpeg

Do you have any info about the picture. Where it was taken and the names of the otherpeople

It was taken around Braunston I think. The long haired chap is Colin Shervington who owned the butty Actis and worked with Trevor and the other chap is Alf but afraid I have forgotton his surname. Lady is Alf partner and dog is theirs. We had not had Tadworth long and it was loaded with house coal. Mike Black took it on towards Warwick.

What a sad loss, Trevor was a fountain of knowledge and always smiling. In recent years Andromeda and I would be moored alongside Corona and Trevor at the Blisworth Festival, we would make sure that he was kept watered with cups of tea while chatting about Boats and Railways. I first met him at my first booked visit to the Linslade Festival in 2010, he, always had the same mooring at that festival by the railway tracks up by Tiddenfoot.

Myself and the Friends of Raymond would usually celebrate his birthday somehow at Linslade, usually in the Grove Lock Pub, he would often remind us that he was "2 years older than his boat"

He will be missed terribly.

RIP Trevor Maggs

Hi everyone, the funeral is at Rainsbrook Crematorium, Rugby, on Tuesday 20th February at 2.30pm. It is open to all who wish to attend.

Afterwards, we will be meeting up in the 'Barley Mow' pub in Newbold from 3:30pm

64 Main Street, Newbold, Rugby, CV21 1HW

On 08/02/2018 at 16:25, Dav and Pen said:

It was taken around Braunston I think. The long haired chap is Colin Shervington who owned the butty Actis and worked with Trevor and the other chap is Alf but afraid I have forgotton his surname. Lady is Alf partner and dog is theirs. We had not had Tadworth long and it was loaded with house coal. Mike Black took it on towards Warwick.

I’m afraid got name wrong it’s not Alf but Chris Williams and wife.

Yes and a wonderful tribute to Trevor shared with so many friends.

Many photographs of Trevor shown too which was lovely.

There was a spenditly fitting Order of Service, and unfortunately I saw our copy disappear into lady's handbag, which is not a problem, she is welcome.

But if anyone has a spare copy they might not want to keep, I would love it.

Thanks.

God's speed Trevor and thank you so much for quietly touching the lives of so many.

James

Yes,

I don't think there was any doubt this would be an exceedingly well attended celebration of Trevor's life, although I was told the family expected maybe up to 50 to attend from the boating community.  I hope they didn't feel too overwhelmed when well over three times that number turned up.

We arrived close enough to the time to be aware immediately that they had had to do a quick switch from the smaller chapel to  the large one.  It was still standing room only, though.  What a good thing it was such a large pub had been booked for the gathering afterwards.  Very fitting to have Corona tied up outside, though it felt very strange to see it without Trevor.

What a fitting tribute to a true gentleman of the canals. He will be sorely missed at all the events he had been a regular at for so many years.

• Greenie 1