RIP Trevor Maggs

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

This is really sad news. I always felt I had to call him "Mr Maggs" out of respect. It was such a pleasure to watch Trevor handling the Corona, never any fuss or show - the boat just going exactly where he intended. He was a real inspiration to this amateur.

All, Thank you so much for all the kind words. I am Trevor's nephew and along with my Uncle Trevor and my Brother we spent a few summers helping out on Corona.

We are currently sorting out arrangements for the funeral and will notify this forum when we have a date and location, and any other details. I hope to have more info by the weekend.

Thanks, Andy

• Greenie 1

19 minutes ago, AVincent said:

All, Thank you so much for all the kind words. I am Trevor's nephew and along with my Uncle Trevor and my Brother we spent a few summers helping out on Corona.

We are currently sorting out arrangements for the funeral and will notify this forum when we have a date and location, and any other details. I hope to have more info by the weekend.

Thanks, Andy

Thanks for posting

11 hours ago, Issyvincent said:

Hello I’m Uncle Trevors great neice, I was wondering if anybody has images of my Uncle and/or his boat would you please upload/send them to me as our family would like to try and put something together for his funeral

I have seen one or two really lovely photos of him being shared last week over on Facebook - possibly in some of the boating groups. I will try and remember who it was that shared them but perhaps others who may have seen them can put their thinking caps on and help Issy out? 

I remember him, steering Corona, being on the front cover of one of the leading boatimags some years ago - a three-quarter rear shot with him wearing a white shirt. Sorry I can't be more precise.

On 21/01/2018 at 20:58, AVincent said:

Thanks, Andy

Hi I Have A Couple Of Trevor Took At Stoke At War. I Did Try To Load On Here But Failed If You Would Like Them Please Email Me fmcmonarch@hotmail.com

We Will Miss Your Uncle A Lot So Sorry For Your Loss

Regards

Viv 

On 1/21/2018 at 22:20, Issyvincent said:

Hello I’m Uncle Trevors great neice, I was wondering if anybody has images of my Uncle and/or his boat would you please upload/send them to me as our family would like to try and put something together for his funeral

Hi Issy,

Firstly can I send our collected condolences to the family - I hope you have enjoyed reading the tributes, and understanding just how big a part Trevor had played in the world of historic boats for far more years than most of us are eer likely to manage.

You are welcome to use anything I have posted, including a couple of pictures in this thread.

When I looked I was surprised I couldn't quickly turn up many more pictures of Trevor - I suspect the reason for that was that once you knew him, he was the kind of person you spent ages talking to rather than photographing. 

There are a couple of cracking photos that have been put up on a Facebook tribute, if you have access to that.  I'll have another look through my own photo library.

Here are a few to be going on with. These were mainly taken around 1981 but the picture of the three louts near the cratch  (Nick Hill, Colin Shervington and Mike Black) was some time in the mid seventies. Most of my pictures are on slides that I still need to digitise. I have a newspaper picture from around 1968/69 of his first load at Gopsall Wharf. I have fond memories of  scaling knees in the hot summer sun and red oxiding them being told that the music I was listening to wasn't traditional. I'm Trevors' other nephew. I have tried to contact Nick Hill through his sons web address but haven't had a response. If anyone has contact details for Nick or Colin Shervington I would be very grateful.

Guy Vincent

DSCN0551.JPG

DSCN0566.JPG

DSCN0573.JPG

DSCN0580.JPG

DSCN0607.JPG

• Greenie 4

37 minutes ago, gvincent said:

Here are a few to be going on with. These were mainly taken around 1981 but the picture of the three louts near the cratch  (Nick Hill, Colin Shervington and Mike Black) was some time in the mid seventies. Most of my pictures are on slides that I still need to digitise. I have a newspaper picture from around 1968/69 of his first load at Gopsall Wharf. I have fond memories of  scaling knees in the hot summer sun and red oxiding them being told that the music I was listening to wasn't traditional. I'm Trevors' other nephew. I have tried to contact Nick Hill through his sons web address but haven't had a response. If anyone has contact details for Nick or Colin Shervington I would be very grateful.

Guy Vincent

DSCN0551.JPG

Guy,

I absolutely love that - thanks for posting.

I don't recall ever seeing pictures of him as a younger man - what an excellent think to be shown.

I may have an email address for Nick Hill, though I don't think he is a great responder to email  If I have its on a different computer - I will try to have a look later.

45 minutes ago, gvincent said:

I found out only ten days after he died that his great grandfather (Thomas Gee) and his great great grandfather (William Gee) were boatmen on the Grand Union.

Guy Vincent

I have a record of Thomas Gee working the horse boat WINDSOR for Joseph W. Whitehouse, West Bromwich in 1879 :captain:

edit = the third and forth photographs in post 42 are at Fenny Compton, and the boats in the background are CALLISTO and ARA when owned by D. and H. Longman (1974 - 1983).

edit 2 = correcting a silly mistake.

Edited by pete harrison

the last photo with Colin, Mike and Nick is the winding hole at Brownsover arm. I can't remember precisely where the others are. (Trevor always remembered with great relish my walking straight off the counter at Aynho whilst cleaning my teeth around midnight and disappearing momentarily in the cut on this trip. He always took great pleasure in reminding me of it.