Book Reviewer Wanted

TheGrifter

Featured Posts

I am trying to find a very experienced/knowledgeable narrowboat owner/expert to double check the boating aspects of my debut crime thriller which is due for publication this Spring.  It is about 95,000 words and called The Canal Pushers.  No fee I'm afraid but a generous acknowledgement to someone who can turn their attention to this asap and take approximately a fortnight to do so.

All help gratefully received

Andy Griffee

Welcome, Andy, and good luck. You mistakenly posted the topic twice (thanks to the member who spotted this) so I have taken the liberty of hiding the other one.

Edited by Athy

I'd be happy to offer help.

I started boating in the mid 60s (Father took us on a hire boat, and then bought one) I still recall the end of work boats.

I had a boat before I had a car! I'm currently on my 9th boat. 

In the 80s I had a pair of Small Woolwich 1935 Star Class boats with which I travelled extensively.

I am currently unemployed/semi-retired and could easily dedicate the time and effort.

I offer my assistance, and happily understand you'll have other requirements you'll need meeting.  I'm sure you'll have plenty of offers and wish you every luck in your choice.

19 hours ago, TheGrifter said:

I am trying to find a very experienced/knowledgeable narrowboat owner/expert to double check the boating aspects of my debut crime thriller which is due for publication this Spring.  It is about 95,000 words and called The Canal Pushers.  No fee I'm afraid but a generous acknowledgement to someone who can turn their attention to this asap and take approximately a fortnight to do so.

All help gratefully received

Andy Griffee

Who is the publisher, so I can look out for it?

Hi Laura, It's likely to be Orphans Press of Leominster but have no fear, I shall be promoting it on the Forum! 

best

Andy 

19 hours ago, Athy said:

Welcome, Andy, and good luck. You mistakenly posted the topic twice (thanks to the member who spotted this) so I have taken the liberty of hiding the other one.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Athy said:

Apologies - new to forum and trying to work my way round it! 

12 hours ago, zenataomm said:

I started boating in the mid 60s (Father took us on a hire boat, and then bought one) I still recall the end of work boats.

In the 80s I had a pair of Small Woolwich 1935 Star Class boats with which I travelled extensively.

I am currently unemployed/semi-retired and could easily dedicate the time and effort.

I offer my assistance, and happily understand you'll have other requirements you'll need meeting.  I'm sure you'll have plenty of offers and wish you every luck in your choice.

Dear Zenataomm, 

Many thanks for your swift reply. I have been inundated with offers of support - some from experienced journalists and writers. However I shall alert everyone when the book is to be published and hope you will enjoy it.  There seems to be a dearth of good books about life on the canals!?

best wishes

Andy 

12 hours ago, NickF said:

Let us know when it's published!

Will do - probably in the Spring by Orphans Press of Leominster - however, I shall try to promote it on The Forum. 

18 hours ago, ianali said:

I love to read. Thrillers in particular grab my attention. Would be more than happy to help with your new publication. My only hesitation is whether I have the canal expertise to do you justice. 

Ian.

Thanks very much for swift reply Ian. I've been inundated with offers, some from experienced writers, but I shall let you all know when it is to be published. best wishes, Andy 

5 hours ago, TheGrifter said:

Dear Zenataomm, 

Many thanks for your swift reply. I have been inundated with offers of support - some from experienced journalists and writers. However I shall alert everyone when the book is to be published and hope you will enjoy it.  There seems to be a dearth of good books about life on the canals!?

best wishes

Andy 

But you didn't ask for an experienced journalist and writer, did you?  You asked for " a very experienced/knowledgeable narrowboat owner/expert to double check the boating aspects of my debut crime thriller ".

I suspect that in turning down an offer from someone with Zenataomm's experience your double checking will not be half as good as it might have been, unless your journalists and writers have the same huge depth of experience.

I wonder why you asked on here, as this is a canal forum, not a "wriers and journalists" forum, (although we do have the occasional poster that mistakenly calls them-self a journalist! :P).

• Greenie 1

On 1/16/2018 at 22:58, zenataomm said:

Dear Zenataomm,

Having thought about this a bit more, it seems more than a bit daft on my part not to take advantage of more than one kind offer of assistance via the forum and you certainly seem to be very experienced! 

If you are still happy to proof the boating aspects of my 2nd draft, I would be very grateful.  Do you have an email address that I can use to send you the Microsoft Word document so that you can make comments using the Edit/Review function and return it to me?

Many thanks in anticipation

Andy Griffee 

We might consider stocking your new book in our shop at Audlem Mill on the Shroppie, and on our website CanalBookShop.co.uk.  We stock by far the widest selection of canal books in Britain (at least 500 titles).

When you know more, please contact us with details about the book, trade price etc.

Best wishes

Peter Silvester

23 minutes ago, Hastings said:

We might consider stocking your new book in our shop at Audlem Mill on the Shroppie, and on our website CanalBookShop.co.uk.  We stock by far the widest selection of canal books in Britain (at least 500 titles).

When you know more, please contact us with details about the book, trade price etc.

Best wishes

Peter Silvester

That’s great - many thanks Peter. I’ll be in touch once the publication deal is in place.

best

Andy