Lister Blackstone, is it a Lister CS?

NB Esk

Featured Posts

Need help to identify this engine, so I can try to find some bits for it.  Not easy as it was disassembled some years ago (due to frost damage) and then not reassembled.

The name cast into the crankcase door is Lister Blackstone.  The details from the brass plate, riveted to the crankcase just below the cylinder are as follows.

23231  M8

650 rpm

3.5 hp

I can't find anything on the net, relating to a Lister Blackstone of this size, it looks very like a Lister CS.  Can anyone please confirm, thanks....

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

For clarity I should say the extra piston in the background is from a compressor unit, attached to the engine.  It's a single cylinder.

Will try for a photo of the makers plate, later, thanks.

Thanks Richard, it's very similar.  In the meantime I've found an image of the exact same unit, on the web.  This one though clearly says it's a Lister, whereas mine is cast Lister Blackstone on the crankcase door.

There's no model number with the image though, is this one a Lister CS? Thanks....

image.jpeg

21 hours ago, NB Esk said:

Need help to identify this engine, so I can try to find some bits for it.  Not easy as it was disassembled some years ago (due to frost damage) and then not reassembled.

The name cast into the crankcase door is Lister Blackstone.  The details from the brass plate, riveted to the crankcase just below the cylinder are as follows.

23231  M8

650 rpm

3.5 hp

I can't find anything on the net, relating to a Lister Blackstone of this size, it looks very like a Lister CS.  Can anyone please confirm, thanks....

3.5 hp @650 rpm would fit with it being a CS 3.5/1 according to http://realdiesels.co.uk/listerdata.html .

And https://www.stationaryengineparts.com/Lister-Engine-Dating/ suggests that the engine number 23231 would date it to 1938.

Does the bore/stroke match 3.75 in x 5.5in for the CS?

Blackstone merged with Lister in 1937.

Edited by David Mack

Hi David, thank you for that, I'll study those links.  Not measured up yet but will be doing as rings are one of the items I need.  Looks like the last time it ran it was doing so without the oil control ring.  Just hope I don't need bits for the compressor side, that might be a different story.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to those members who helped in identifying this engine.  It is indeed a Lister CS & is now up and running and back in service.

Image taken while engine was running.  Work required was a set of piston rings, an injector nozzle and gaskets.  Fires on first compression and with a clean exhaust.

Thanks again....

image.jpeg

• Greenie 1