1st boat hire holiday this summer,

Mick in Bangkok

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, john6767 said:

To me even more reason not to use your holiday up on this, when you could probably visit them all in a day by car.  I would personally say there are better routes that the one dictated by visiting those brokers dictates, but of course that is all opinion.

I am very much open to suggested routes for my 1st outing as I would like to get the best out of my holiday.

Just now, john6767 said:

He didn't want to do too many locks though!

Locks are the best bit!  In any case he'll have to get used to them if he buy's and if you head east, it's not too lock heavy, especially if heading round the Warwickshire ring anticlockwise after Calcutt.

Just now, Mick in Bangkok said:

I am very much open to suggested routes for my 1st outing as I would like to get the best out of my holiday.

I thought the South Oxford suggestion was a good one.  You could of course start from Baunston/Napton/Rugby area rather than  Heyford,  and use a taxi from Rugby station.

1 minute ago, Dave_P said:

Locks are the best bit!  In any case he'll have to get used to them if he buy's and if you head east, it's not too lock heavy, especially if heading round the Warwickshire ring anticlockwise after Calcutt.

I agree, but doing large numbers in not what everyone wants in a holiday.  You still have 23 locks each way to Napton .  Better hiring from Kate Boats at Stockton if you are going that direction and are not doing the Warwickshire ring. 

The prettiest canal without lots of locks is, IMO the Llangollen.  Wrenbury has a hire base (ABC?) and a railway station.  That would work except for the brokerage marinas.

6 minutes ago, john6767 said:

I agree, but doing large numbers in not what everyone wants in a holiday.  You still have 23 locks each way to Napton .  Better hiring from Kate Boats at Stockton if you are going that direction and are not doing the Warwickshire ring. 

Ah, yes Stockton, I forgot about that.

Would agree with Dave_P on this. Cruising the Llangollen canal is a great experience. I moored between Ellesmere and Froncysyllte for four years and later when continually cruising used to return to it for the winter. Not only is the scenery wonderful but it is an opportunity to see some wonderful canal engineering - particularly the aqueducts. Ellesmere is a lovely old Saxon town close to the meres and with olde worlde shops and pubs (great old fashioned butchers if you like your meat). Llangollen is also very interesting - possible to walk to where the River Vyrnwy feeds the canal to carry water to resevoirs at Hurleston.

The canal can get very busy in July/August but should be OK in September.

6 minutes ago, alvicchas1 said:

Would agree with Dave_P on this. Cruising the Llangollen canal is a great experience. I moored between Ellesmere and Froncysyllte for four years and later when continually cruising used to return to it for the winter. Not only is the scenery wonderful but it is an opportunity to see some wonderful canal engineering - particularly the aqueducts. Ellesmere is a lovely old Saxon town close to the meres and with olde worlde shops and pubs (great old fashioned butchers if you like your meat). Llangollen is also very interesting - possible to walk to where the River Vyrnwy feeds the canal to carry water to resevoirs at Hurleston.

The canal can get very busy in July/August but should be OK in September.

You mean the River Dee.

It does get busy in July/ August but I rather like that.  Lots of banter and chat at the few locks.  I've never had any difficulties mooring and if it gets too crowded, you can nip down onto the Montgomery for a few days, which is also delightful.