Advice

Bunglefuzz

Featured Posts

Really sorry for asking questions that have certainly been covered elsewhere.

We fancy a canal holiday, but please let me describe what we hope to find, and then can people please advise which canal or journey we should choose. Everything full of character to the maximum. Interesting historic industry to see along the way. Preferably no major city centres, I really don't want to be sailing past retail parks because I want to lose myself in the time warp. Really fancy an aquaduct, but not at the expense of losing a degree of character. Want to relax and feel as though I could stop at any point and have a picnic and be delighted with the surroundings. Hope to see plenty of quaint stone bridges and locks.

Secondly. A lot of narrow boats for rent seem to be very modern inside, which I personally feel are completely lacking in missed opportunities regarding character. I'd much prefer something more old fashioned, with trinkets and personal items around the place. Also, I'd like an old fashioned engine that goes dong dong dong instead of a modern smooth diesel engine. I'd also like plenty of room around the tiller so we can sit out there whilst motoring along. Can anybody recommend a place to hire such a boat?

Many kind thanks in advance for all your suggestions.

Lastly, is it true, do holidays like this really need booking a year in advace?

Welcome, Mr. Fuzz!

I am not sure that you will be able to incorporate all your wishes into one boat and one holiday. Rather like buying a boat, hiring is a compromise.

The "bong bong" may be the trickiest thing to find, but Union Canal Carriers do have some boats with old Sabb (a Norwegian make, not to be confused with Saab)) engines which emit that sort of sound. They are based centrally in Braunston.

Look at "latelink" it's for booking late at better prices, but apart from that it gives you information on all the cruising areas. I don't know of any firms hiring out the boat type you want however.

I'd also recommend Union Canal Carriers modern 'Barney' boats if you want to hire something with a bit of character. Along with the great slow running sabb engine you get a solid fuel stove, a rare thing on a hire boat. 

Could be the start of a slippery slope though.. I hired one for the Christmas week 3 years in a row, next thing I was visiting brokers and looking at adverts in the back of Waterways World..

Think you might struggle with the requirement of a "trad Engine ole for the Boing Boing motor " & a seeming ly Semi trad stern giving you space you ask for  the design of hire boats is to pack as much into whatever length as is convenient to maximize the # of berths  Shame Middlewich Narrow boats had boats of the type that possibly would have suited you but I understand they have ceased trading