Boat man tommy Parkinson passed away

Barge Venus

Featured Posts

Hi everyone just want to let people who might know my father Thomas parkinson sadly he passed away on Friday the 5th of January. A bit of info on my father he was born at the side of the Leeds and Liverpool canal in 1944 near adlington in Lancashire.He started on the canals with his father and siblings as soon as he was old enough to walk and used to work boats in his summer holidays . Once my father left school he started work on the bridgewater and Manchester ship canals on the duker barges .My father became a captain of the duker parcastle until trade finished in 1974 at which point he took over the barge iris Abbott running from the docks at Liverpool to the river weaver carrying goods for the ICI . After his days on the weaver he started work for British Waterways as the middle lock keeper on the Wigan flight and later as the lengths man of the Leigh branch and also operating plank lane lift bridge  until his retirement . When my father retired he moved into his ex ships life boat and up until his death could be seen around the Wigan and Leigh area mostly by the lift bridge at plank lane . If there is anyone who would like to contact me regarding my father and or his funeral please contact me on this number ‭07793487196