Victron equalisation mode

Johny London

Featured Posts

Just a stab at kicking some life into ailing batteries, as I have the rare luxury of shore power tonite. I found how to make the Victron 3000 multiplus go into equalisation mode video here

Anyway - it's up at 15.2v, and I'm wondering how long I dare leave it on? (Or perhaps it times out, in which case how much more I might force it to happen). I don't have a temperature sensor on the batteries, and certainly cant be arsed getting under there to check on them.

Anyway... off to do some more laundry and anything else that consumes power...

Edit to say - an hour later and its back to normal mode.

Edited by Johny London

35 minutes ago, pearley said:

Mine is default set to one hour. 

I believe that’s standard for Victron stuff. One hour may well not be long enough, depends on the state of the batts. If necessary then restart it. And again, as required. Only simple way to know is to take a relative density reading of the electrolyte.  

Mine is set at 1 hr , this is a strange thing that happens when I equalise my batteries 6 x 6v Trojans my heating does not come on the next day ( Webasto )  , I have to pull the fuses out stick them back in and it fires up why ? I kept meaning to ask on here any thoughts ?

9 hours ago, luggsy said:

Mine is set at 1 hr , this is a strange thing that happens when I equalise my batteries 6 x 6v Trojans my heating does not come on the next day ( Webasto )  , I have to pull the fuses out stick them back in and it fires up why ? I kept meaning to ask on here any thoughts ?

Webasto protecting itself from the higher then normal voltage?

I find 3 hours, equalisation every 3-6 months keeps my batteries in shape. However, keep an eye on battery temperatures and stop equalising if they start to get too warm.

Johny,

ISTR you threatening to get a battery de-sulphation gadget - I think it sent low current, high voltage pulses into the battery to break down the sulphation. Did you ever get that? Did it work? Was it rubbish? Just curious about it!

I'm shortly going to post about that on the relevant thread. But no it didn't make any perceptible difference so I have returned it under the 60 day no quibble guarantee - will post once I'm successfully refunded. So 1-0 to the told you so's but I felt it was worth trying.

I would think if it doesn't recover a very new set of batteries, it won't recover anything. I also imagine that the voltages couldn't be that high as it is guaranteed not to upset any other equipment that is connected.

A pity, but there you go. Now I'm trying the equalisation mode (on about the 4th go now but have let the batteries rest in between). Next step - lithium.

Thanks for the replies re the Victron - it sounds as though I should have done enough by now, if it is going to have any effect. Will report back in due course.