Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Featured Posts

Hi people, Im hoping to get cruising for the first time and not sure of the slipways available . I intend to start on the kennet and avon canal above the Caen flight but am open to suggestions from those who know. I only have a cheap little yogurt pot but I intend to spend the summer cruising the rivers and canals. Any help would be appreciated. I hope that having a yogurt pot will not disqualify me from hearing from the Wise Old Owls. Many thanks. The Blind Novice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not certain but Devizes marina may have a slipway.

Edited by Rob-M

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rob-M said:

Not certain but Devizes marina may have a slipway.

The marina doesn't have a slipway but there is one at Devizes wharf in the town centre, easily accessed via the public car park.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Have a helpful link:

http://www.boatlaunch.co.uk

Be sure to check the maximum size of boat for the slipways is adequate - quite a few are only for very small boats.

Thats a great help. Thankyou for that. 

2 minutes ago, Meanderingviking said:

The marina doesn't have a slipway but there is one at Devizes wharf in the town centre, easily accessed via the public car park.

Thanks for your help. I have that marked as plan A.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, the blind novice said:

Hi people, Im hoping to get cruising for the first time and not sure of the slipways available . I intend to start on the kennet and avon canal above the Caen flight but am open to suggestions from those who know. I only have a cheap little yogurt pot but I intend to spend the summer cruising the rivers and canals. Any help would be appreciated. I hope that having a yogurt pot will not disqualify me from hearing from the Wise Old Owls. Many thanks. The Blind Novice

There are many Wise Old Owls on the forum that own yoghurt pots! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Meanderingviking said:

The marina doesn't have a slipway but there is one at Devizes wharf in the town centre, easily accessed via the public car park.

I've not been to the wharf for a few years and had recollection of seeing a slipway there but couldn't remember for certain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Have a helpful link:

http://www.boatlaunch.co.uk

Be sure to check the maximum size of boat for the slipways is adequate - quite a few are only for very small boats.

That's very useful, and thanks to the OP for asking the question - future aspirations with Juno (the smaller boat) involve trailing

It isn't a frequently asked question, but perhaps it should be!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Click the link, click on the number nearest to where you want to be, keep clicking as you drill down.

Click on the final icon and you get all the information.

 

http://www.boatlaunch.co.uk/#/map

Got that Alan, thanks, and I've found where to launch for my first aspiration (Upper Thames) on it - even if I never actually do it the link allows the dreams to develop.

It might even be worth pinning the link

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, magpie patrick said:

Got that Alan, thanks, and I've found where to launch for my first aspiration (Upper Thames) on it - even if I never actually do it the link allows the dreams to develop.

It might even be worth pinning the link

Perfect information. Many thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a free slipway on Devizes Wharf with trailer parking next to it (paid for). There is a slipway at Pewsey Wharf — you will have to use it — contact The Waterfront bar tel: 01672 564020.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BobNaylor said:

There is a free slipway on Devizes Wharf with trailer parking next to it (paid for). There is a slipway at Pewsey Wharf — you will have to use it — contact The Waterfront bar tel: 01672 564020.

Pewsey wharf is a new bit of information. Thankyou for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's one at the bottom of the flight, at Foxhangers, which is suitable for various sizes of boats - our last one, a 40 foot narrowboat, was launched there.

That was in 2001, mind, I assume it's still there but I can't be sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.