Private Moorings Park End Bridge Sharpness

MalibuSam

Featured Posts

Hi All

I am hoping someone can help me please.

We are looking to buy our first boat to live on which has been a dream of ours for many years. We are looking to buy a widebeam and have seen a couple for sale at Saul Junction Marina (our preferred location) but they have always sold while we were looking at them or an hour or so after viewing. 

As it is nigh on impossible to get a widebeam mooring alone at the marina (have been on the waiting list for 2 years now), we are looking at other options of trying to get an offline mooring in the vicinity. There are currently no widebeam moorings available but in a recent visit we saw some private moorings at Park End Bridge which appear to have electrical hook up, water etc. There is what looks like a house and another building being worked on there. I wondered if any one knew who owns these moorings and if there are contact details available to go on the waiting list for a mooring there as I cannot seem to find any information about the moorings online?

Thank you in advance.

1 hour ago, Rob-M said:

I believe the moorings are owned by the couple that own the Stables Cafe at Saul Junction. I'm pretty sure there is a waiting list for those moorings.

They also own the Ship Inn at Framilode.

Hi Rob

That is very helpful, thank you very much for the info. Happy to be on the waiting list if it means getting a prime spot. 

Thank you :-)

3 hours ago, Rob-M said:

I believe the moorings are owned by the couple that own the Stables Cafe at Saul Junction. I'm pretty sure there is a waiting list for those moorings.

They also own the Ship Inn at Framilode.

That's not quite right now. The group, Watermarked....... something or other used to own The Stables, The Ship & The Pilot at Hardwicke but has been split up. There is no connection between the Stables now and the others. The Stables people also opened the new Green Shop on the green at Frampton. The person you need to speak to is I believe Carla.......... Those moorings are known as The Castle & when I enquired 3 years ago when they were greatly upgraded & extended I was told the waiting list was 40 or so boats. The Stables might be able to give you a phone number for Carla.

Steve 

ETA Watermarked Inns I think it was.

Edited by sharpness

8 minutes ago, sharpness said:

That's not quite right now. The group, Watermarked....... something or other used to own The Stables, The Ship & The Pilot at Hardwicke but has been split up. There is no connection between the Stables now and the others. The Stables people also opened the new Green Shop on the green at Frampton. The person you need to speak to is I believe Carla.......... Those moorings are known as The Castle & when I enquired 3 years ago when they were greatly upgraded & extended I was told the waiting list was 40 or so boats. The Stables might be able to give you a phone number for Carla.

Steve 

Hi Steve

Thank you for this new information. I have already emailed watermarked to see if they can help or point me in the right direction. Do you know where Carla is located? Is she at the Green Shop? I will ask at The Stables (we go there most weekends) but if they are not able or willing to give me her number just be good to know where else to try.

Thanks

Sam

1 minute ago, MalibuSam said:

Hi Steve

Thank you for this new information. I have already emailed watermarked to see if they can help or point me in the right direction. Do you know where Carla is located? Is she at the Green Shop? I will ask at The Stables (we go there most weekends) but if they are not able or willing to give me her number just be good to know where else to try.

Thanks

Sam

Sam

As far as I know Carla has no connection whatsoever with the Green Shop or The Stables but they may be able to give you a number for her. I never managed to track her down. I cant remember her surname but interestingly it is still on the Stroud District Council music licence on the wall at the bottom of the stairs in the café. If they cant help ask at the Pilot at Hardwicke, I don't know if that connection still exists. If all else fails do as Rob suggested & try to catch a boater there at the weekend.

Have you tried the Saul Junction Boat Owners Club moorings on the old arm up to the marina? I don't know if they would have a widebeam, perhaps beyond the marina entrance, but worth a phone call. Contact details are on the noticeboard a short way up the arm. The only drawback is we have no electric hookup.

Steve

5 minutes ago, sharpness said:

Sam

As far as I know Carla has no connection whatsoever with the Green Shop or The Stables but they may be able to give you a number for her. I never managed to track her down. I cant remember her surname but interestingly it is still on the Stroud District Council music licence on the wall at the bottom of the stairs in the café. If they cant help ask at the Pilot at Hardwicke, I don't know if that connection still exists. If all else fails do as Rob suggested & try to catch a boater there at the weekend.

Have you tried the Saul Junction Boat Owners Club moorings on the old arm up to the marina? I don't know if they would have a widebeam, perhaps beyond the marina entrance, but worth a phone call. Contact details are on the noticeboard a short way up the arm. The only drawback is we have no electric hookup.

Steve

Hi Steve

Thanks so much for the info. I will go up there next weekend and ask someone. I will also look up Saul Junction Boat Owners Club too. Park End would be my first choice for a mooring (if we can't get in Saul marina) but we also like Splatt Bridge and any of the other offline moorings along the way (the quieter the better). We are just worried that we are going to find it hard to get a widebeam mooring that side of the Sharpness and we don't want to become continuous cruisers.

Sam

1 minute ago, MalibuSam said:

We are just worried that we are going to find it hard to get a widebeam mooring that side of the Sharpness

Sam

The G&S is certainly wide enough for widebeam moorings pretty well anywhere along its length. If you mean offside, rather than offline moorings there is also The Patch at Slimbridge & north of Saul Junction & a few at Purton. Have you registered on the CRT Moorings site so you get emails about mooring vacancies? The only other offline moorings I can think of are Sharpness, there's a few widebeams there.   

• Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, sharpness said:

The G&S is certainly wide enough for widebeam moorings pretty well anywhere along its length. If you mean offside, rather than offline moorings there is also The Patch at Slimbridge & north of Saul Junction & a few at Purton. Have you registered on the CRT Moorings site so you get emails about mooring vacancies? The only other offline moorings I can think of are Sharpness, there's a few widebeams there.   

Hi Steve

Thank you so much for all your help. By "Sharpness" I presume you mean Sharpness Marina? I have never been there but could consider that if we were able to get a widebeam mooring there. I have messaged them and am just waiting for a response. It has been a dream for us for so long to live on a boat and we are currently desperate to get out of the rat race and fulfil our dreams.

Sam

11 minutes ago, sharpness said:

There's a few widebeams at Sharpness Marina. We had a mooring there for 13years until 2 years ago, nice spot, quite easy going & relatively inexpensive (1/2 the price of Saul Jct Marina then, don't know about now though)  Good luck

Steve

Thanks for all your help Steve. Greatly appreciated :-)

16 hours ago, sharpness said:

Steve 

That's interesting to know. I always wondered why the quality of the food in the Stables far surpasses that of the Pilot Inn but given they're no longer part of the same company, that makes sense.

I too am interested in a mooring just north of Parkend bridge someday. They've been renovating a building there for some 2+ years. Any idea as to what that will be? Doesn't look like it will be residential. Would make a nice waterside bar + chandlery, but I think that might be wishful thinking? :) 

Cheers

Rich

14 hours ago, MalibuSam said:

Thanks for all your help Steve. Greatly appreciated :-)

Sam, just a note that may be of help to you. I have found and still do that many boat yards/marinas/canal side businesses still much prefer the personal touch. Whilst many now have email addresses etc it is without doubt best to go to each one personaly for a chat so they know who they are dealing with and you will get a better response than by tinternet. I hope you find what you are looking for. We moored at saul junction some years ago and I found it horrible and windswept in the winter, we also had a mooring in Gloucester docks where we lived on the boat when running a pub in Gloucester. Good look with your quest. :cheers:

• Greenie 1

8 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

it is without doubt best to go to each one personaly for a chat so they know who they are dealing with and you will get a better response than by tinternet.

Absolutely agree, best way every time. Unfortunately there is no office and appears to be no presence of the proprietors at the Parkend moorings which makes it more difficult as I could never get any reply to phone calls.

Cant agree about Saul Junction though, mooring on the arm, easy walk from home, love the place.

8 hours ago, RichM said:

They've been renovating a building there for some 2+ years. Any idea as to what that will be? Doesn't look like it will be residential. Would make a nice waterside bar + chandlery, but I think that might be wishful thinking? :) 

There's all sorts of stories/rumours locally but its very much a stop / start thing.  The old bungalow on the site has been extensively upgraded & renovated & now looks like it has been sold off separately. Before my time but apparently they used to run Sunday steamer trips down to The Castle from Gloucester & had a very good reputation, a bit like The Pleasure Gardens at Sharpness!!

11 hours ago, sharpness said:

Absolutely agree, best way every time. Unfortunately there is no office and appears to be no presence of the proprietors at the Parkend moorings which makes it more difficult as I could never get any reply to phone calls.

Cant agree about Saul Junction though, mooring on the arm, easy walk from home, love the place.

Just go and moor there, the proprioters will find you soon enough then. :P

• 2 years later...

When we had some electrical work done on our boat the cheap who did the work moored at the castle and it was him that said they were owner by the couple who at that time owner the Stables café, they sold the café but had the Ship pub at Framilode. I think they have sold the pub now though.  As sharpness posted above the lady is Carla and there was an extensive waiting list.

That's right, there is no connection with The Ship at Framilode now, it changed hands 6 months ago. There was an attempt to buy it as a community owned pub but it was eventually bought by a local family. I think I would still be looking for Carla if we wanted a mooring there.

7 hours ago, sharpness said:

That's right, there is no connection with The Ship at Framilode now, it changed hands 6 months ago. There was an attempt to buy it as a community owned pub but it was eventually bought by a local family. I think I would still be looking for Carla if we wanted a mooring there.

I can confirm that it is still Carla you would need to contact. Sorry I don't have a contact number. And as far as I know there is still a long waiting list.