Any good data deals ?

Jenwil

Featured Posts

I missed mentioning that the Giffgaff goodybags allow (positively encourage by the sound of it!) tethering on all of their offerings.

No problem last time I was on the boat - but then my data use on board is pretty small compared to at home (can get to hundreds of GB at home some days!) so speed and quantity is a bit academic in real terms.

On ‎27‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 11:12, Ratkatcher said:

I missed mentioning that the Giffgaff goodybags allow (positively encourage by the sound of it!) tethering on all of their offerings.

No problem last time I was on the boat - but then my data use on board is pretty small compared to at home (can get to hundreds of GB at home some days!) so speed and quantity is a bit academic in real terms.

It's quite a turnaround from how they used to be, had to be a Gigabag which was data only, now it seems a much more sensible attitude. Although this means they have killed off Gigabags apart from one token useless one which only has 500mb for £5?!?

I'm toying with the idea of a 3 PAYG Sim pre-loaded with 12GB of data @ £27.99 that lasts for 12months. In theory we can cane it for a week on the boat, then it can sit dormant until we're back on again.
Already sourced a cheap Huawei E5573c from a local cash converters type shop, it's locked to 3 at the moment but can easily be unlocked buckshee with online software ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I've had EE mobile wifi for 2 years, it was £29 a month for 25gb, and I recently phoned them for a moan and groan and got 30gb for the same price - I could probably get more but that's enough really and stops me from downloading every episode of Monkey on a whim and things like that.

However, what I really like about it is the quality of service, I nearly always get 4G even out in the country where I live now (I was living in a tent/landrover for a while, meant I could keep doing my 'work from home' job) and the transfer speeds are better than my old Virgin cable in the city. Reliability has been very good too, can only think of one outage after the local mast got damaged, and that was soon fixed.

2 minutes ago, barmyfluid said:

I've had EE mobile wifi for 2 years, it was £29 a month for 25gb, and I recently phoned them for a moan and groan and got 30gb for the same price - I could probably get more but that's enough really and stops me from downloading every episode of Monkey on a whim and things like that.

However, what I really like about it is the quality of service, I nearly always get 4G even out in the country where I live now (I was living in a tent/landrover for a while, meant I could keep doing my 'work from home' job) and the transfer speeds are better than my old Virgin cable in the city. Reliability has been very good too, can only think of one outage after the local mast got damaged, and that was soon fixed.

I had 50Gb a month with EE for 2 years for just under £30. When the deal ended, they said they could only offer 25Gb a month for £30. When I said I was leaving for Threes 100Gb per month for £30, they offered 50Gb a month for £30, but it was too late, and I left. So far the Three Service has been 100%.

1 minute ago, Richard10002 said:

I had 50Gb a month with EE for 2 years for just under £30. When the deal ended, they said they could only offer 25Gb a month for £30. When I said I was leaving for Threes 100Gb per month for £30, they offered 50Gb a month for £30, but it was too late, and I left. So far the Three Service has been 100%.

Yeah, I think I mentioned the Three deal to EE to get the bump, but I was happy with the QOS I got from EE and didn't want to risk swapping to a crappier provider as I rely on my connection for work....however, how do you rate Three to EE in terms of 4G access, data rates etc? 

2 minutes ago, barmyfluid said:

Yeah, I think I mentioned the Three deal to EE to get the bump, but I was happy with the QOS I got from EE and didn't want to risk swapping to a crappier provider as I rely on my connection for work....however, how do you rate Three to EE in terms of 4G access, data rates etc? 

Haven’t seen any difference so far. Having said that, I haven’t used it in many places yet.

The biggest test I give it is HD iPlayer, Netflix, and Amazon Prime video. All stream fine with no hiccups.

The MiFi I use it in always shows all bars, and 4G.

1 minute ago, Richard10002 said:

Haven’t seen any difference so far. Having said that, I haven’t used it in many places yet.

The biggest test I give it is HD iPlayer, Netflix, and Amazon Prime video. All stream fine with no hiccups.

The MiFi I use it in always shows all bars, and 4G.

Ok, that's good to know, cheers :)