Any good data deals ?

Jenwil

Featured Posts

I'm on three - £17 a month for 40gb, but it is a 12 month contract and I supply my own router. (It's a data sim).

On the whole, I find it works well, pretty much all the time. It does include Go Binge, so I'm hoping to get the tv player thing working on Kodi at some point.

Three seem to be the king of the water ways, closely followed by EE?

in a slightly hijack way i'd like to ask what equipment you lot would recommend for onboard WiFi?
thing is, I don't want a 12 month contract as at best we get 4 weeks per year onboard, so I want something portable with an external aerial that I can slap a sim in, and probably unlocked so I can use whatever provider I see fit.

Need something to appease the tween when we're moored up, and possibly a bit of streaming too.

9 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

in a slightly hijack way i'd like to ask what equipment you lot would recommend for onboard WiFi?
thing is, I don't want a 12 month contract as at best we get 4 weeks per year onboard, so I want something portable with an external aerial that I can slap a sim in, and probably unlocked so I can use whatever provider I see fit.

Need something to appease the tween when we're moored up, and possibly a bit of streaming too.

"Mifi" like the Huawei E5330 or similar.

Depicted here is my new Wi-Fi thingy, the Huawei E5330, mounted upon a homemade Meccano cradle in the window. The yellow and blue meccano plates are made of plastic instead of steel so as to make sure the Wi-Fi signal gets in. The curtain is still free to slide on its runners behind the cradle bracket.  I can Go Binge free too.

SAM_1011.JPG

Edited by bizzard

1 hour ago, bizzard said:

Depicted here is my new Wi-Fi thingy, the Huawei E5330, mounted upon a homemade Meccano cradle in the window. The yellow and blue meccano plates are made of plastic instead of steel so as to make sure the Wi-Fi signal gets in. The curtain is still free to slide on its runners behind the cradle bracket.  I can Go Binge free too.

and just what is that protecting your Huawei from scuffs, scrapes & scratches?

Have you somehow stumbled upon the best use for Tofu?
(I hope so, as it's no use as food)

On 24/01/2018 at 13:50, Hudds Lad said:

I think there are three, O2, EE & Vodafone in size order

Cellnet became BT Cellnet, then became O2 (which is owned by Telefonica)

EE was the merger of Orange & T-Mobile and is now owned by BT (who trade as BT, EE & PlusNet)

Vodafone is just as awful as they've always been (my first mobile provider who screwed me with so-called "insurance")

For me Vodafone is great, some months ago we moved within the marina and our 4G O2 signal disappeared without trace, we only moved about 200m but sufficient to completely lose what had been a 1st class signal.

I equipped myself with a handful of SIM cards and tried then all out, Vodafone was the clear winner.

Prior to switching to O2 we had been with Vodafone but when we move from the Broads again we lost signal completely 

What I have gleaned over the years is that no network or provider is bad only the location and you have to be prepared to change .

Phil 

7 minutes ago, Phil Ambrose said:

For me Vodafone is great, some months ago we moved within the marina and our 4G O2 signal disappeared without trace, we only moved about 200m but sufficient to completely lose what had been a 1st class signal.

I equipped myself with a handful of SIM cards and tried then all out, Vodafone was the clear winner.

Prior to switching to O2 we had been with Vodafone but when we move from the Broads again we lost signal completely 

What I have gleaned over the years is that no network or provider is bad only the location and you have to be prepared to change .

Phil 

my experience of Vodafone was back in the early 90's, it was more customer service than network that put me off 'em ;)

20 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

and just what is that protecting your Huawei from scuffs, scrapes & scratches?

Have you somehow stumbled upon the best use for Tofu?
(I hope so, as it's no use as food)

Sticky backed weed hatch gasket.

2 hours ago, bizzard said:

SAM_1011.JPG

I have one of those, and the reception is BRILLIANT. It picks up a signal perfectly from inside the boat without being near a porthole, and I don't have windows! The same SIM in a dongle needed to be hung up outside in the cratch.

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I have one of those, and the reception is BRILLIANT. It picks up a signal perfectly from inside the boat without being near a porthole, and I don't have windows! The same SIM in a dongle needed to be hung up outside in the cratch.

Amazing. The signal must seep in under the door or through the keyhole or somewhere and be swirling all around inside the boat. Do yoo suffer any maladies like Wifi headaches or netitis.

7 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

You may jest but reception is terrible if the stove goes out.

As the temp goes up, the steel expands so the molecules are further apart allowing the radio waves to get through? :P Either that or Voodoophone have a secret alliance with ecofans ltd to use the air waves for their signals to travel on, and we all know we get more airflow with an eco fan..........we'll most of us anyway:giggles:

• Haha 1

Do any of the providers sell data access by the lump, with no time constraints?

That is, so can I buy x Gb and then buy a further x when I have run out, whether that be three days or three months later, in the way that I buy coal.

I suspect that they make a great deal of money from purchased but unused data under monthly schemes so I would expect it to be more expensive.

1 hour ago, rupertbear said:

That is, so can I buy x Gb and then buy a further x when I have run out, whether that be three days or three months later, in the way that I buy coal.

I suspect that they make a great deal of money from purchased but unused data under monthly schemes so I would expect it to be more expensive.

Three do PAYG data but its uncompetitive (12GB, expires in 12 months), so you could buy 12GB, then another 12GB, etc. I am sure other network providers also do PAYG data.

1 hour ago, rupertbear said:

Have a look on Amazon for Data Only SIM cards. I used to buy data only PAYG sims and when they ran out I found it was cheaper to just buy a new SIM card than top up the old one. You can still get them where they don't ration you on a monthly basis. I have no experience buying from eBay so I don't about them but folk on here often reference good deals on there.

3 hours ago, rupertbear said:

you can get 12GB on 3 which lasts 12months for about £28

EE do a 12gb which lasts 6months, but they feed you 2gb a month

found this link on a caravan forum, seem cheaper than going direct https://www.mymemory.co.uk/mobile/mobile-phone/sim-cards.html

5 hours ago, rupertbear said:

I've just bought a payg sim from Voodoophone for a tenner. I think it has 10gb on it ( I bought it to have on the boat as a method of remote informing me of the power on the boat going off when I am away from the boat so not that interested in data). I think it lasts month to month but worth checking. Just got it at a supermarket. Use it. Chuck it away. Get new one.

19 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

I've just bought a payg sim from Voodoophone for a tenner. I think it has 10gb on it ( I bought it to have on the boat as a method of remote informing me of the power on the boat going off when I am away from the boat so not that interested in data). I think it lasts month to month but worth checking. Just got it at a supermarket. Use it. Chuck it away. Get new one.

Is it a data SIM though? A (phone) PAYG SIM won't do it, because they probably block tethering - although they'd be happy for data use from the phone itself.

• Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, Paul C said:

Is it a data SIM though? A (phone) PAYG SIM won't do it, because they probably block tethering - although they'd be happy for data use from the phone itself.

Paul, its a phone sim but the bumph doesnt say anything about tethering (at least I didnt see anything). I am a bit sensitised to the tethering thing after the experiences with EE trying to get more than 30gb per sim. If I get time later I will see if I can use it as the data hub......the damn phones gone flat as its been replaced by a nice new one.

It will be buried in the small print. I think its safe to assume that for tethering to be allowed within a normal phone PAYG/contract, its the exception rather than the rule; and it would tend to be mentioned in the promotional details (because its a thing which is worth something over the normal, phone-use-only, data). I know that some have been able to use tethered data even though the contract doesn't allow it, sometimes for months, but if its not allowed in the contract in theory they could block the SIM quite swiftly if/when they did find out. Obviously, the network providers can 100% detect and know when you're tethering, but they may choose not to act upon low levels of it.

I pay £28 a month for 64GB data only sim with EE and often get 45Mbps & 20Mbps upload speeds which seems like a good deal but it's an old plan. Last time I looked the current plans were more expensive in comparison. As it's data only it's designed for tethering but even 64GB isn't enough for me so I then have to tether from my phone, which I have with a different network. That way I have a resilient way of getting internet access without having to worry so much about coverage black spots.