Any good data deals ?

Jenwil

Featured Posts

If you are a 3 customer

100gb on homefi for £28p - excludes London and other areas not listed though 

100gb unlimited mins unlimited texts £20pm 

The above deals are subject to 12 month contracts and are available for a few quid more if non 3 customers 

Apologies just noticed you asked for pay as you go

Edited by Dartagnan
Apologies didn’t read pay as you go

Giffgaff do an 'unlimited' data plan (allowing tethering) for £20 with the caveat that after 9GB use there is a speed drop to 384kbit between 08:00 and 00;00.  I assume the 4G speed is 'normal' between midnight and 8am.

Their 'Goodybag' scheme allows you to purchase minutes/texts/data in 30 day blocks to suit your budget / needs.  No contract and it appears that future plans are likely to be even better value.

They use O2 as their carrier so I'm unsure of their real coverage for 4G data.

• 2 weeks later...

Have got 3 Voda and GiffGaff .   Vodafone....don't get me started on that lot,  Giff Gaff sounds good but in practice speed is very very slow, which leaves 3 . which works pretty much everywhere (travelled the south, midlands and Llangollen this year), i work from the boat and i have managed to be up and at it online every day.  there are places 3 doesn't work so i tend to use the giff gaff in those instances.  We stream everything, TV included and manage to live a pretty normal digital life.

I do tend to choose mooring spots on a combination of 4G, Pub and View,  but anywhere near a train line works.

On ‎13‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 11:15, Dartagnan said:

If you are a 3 customer

100gb on homefi for £28p - excludes London and other areas not listed though 

100gb unlimited mins unlimited texts £20pm 

The above deals are subject to 12 month contracts and are available for a few quid more if non 3 customers 

Apologies just noticed you asked for pay as you go

Looks a good deal and as we are with 3 I had a look.

Unfortunately of the 100gb of data you are only allowed to tether 30gb, and it is showing as costing £25.

Thanks for the tip tho' I never remember to check and just keep paying up each month.

1 hour ago, Gareth E said:

EE 10gb for 30 days with a tenner credit as well for around 13 quid delivered off Ebay. The credit is useful as you can convert it to another 2gb of data to use while you wait for the next card to be delivered.

Is that a good deal? .....as per the title of the thread...'Any good data deals'. I would be looking for 1gb for 0.50p. Maybe I am misreading your post. Our EE deal which is not very good is 60gb for £45/month but EE service is very good.

1 hour ago, Dr Bob said:

Is that a good deal? .....as per the title of the thread...'Any good data deals'. I would be looking for 1gb for 0.50p. Maybe I am misreading your post. Our EE deal which is not very good is 60gb for £45/month but EE service is very good.

I'm a moderate user, 10gb is about right. I'd suggest that this is indeed a pretty good deal for this amount of data, to the extent that I can't find anything cheaper.

2 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

EE is the only network that covers where I live and having no landline, I am tied to them. Last June, I managed to get EE down to 60gb for £20/month. I just rang them to see if there was any offers available and after some haggling this was the best I could get. Tried again yesterday as I would like more data but currently no better deals on offer. It was in fact more expensive. I will try again in a month or so. Very good 4g service.

Edited by Edders

15 minutes ago, Edders said:

EE is the only network that covers where I live and having no landline, I am tied to them. Last June, I managed to get EE down to 60gb for £20/month. I just rang them to see if there was any offers available and after some haggling this was the best I could get. Tried again yesterday as I would like more data but currently no better deals on offer. It was in fact more expensive. I will try again in a month or so. Very good 4g service.

That's a really good deal. I took ours out in September in the shop but they wouldnt budge below the £45/m. Others had reported much better deals with EE. Still its not too bad and good signals all over the midlands.

7 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Others had reported much better deals with EE. Still its not too bad and good signals all over the midlands.

I've no idea who EE are, or rather no idea which network they use. There are only two or three physical networks AIUI. Vodafone, Orange and Cellnet, but there are loads of service providers, giffgaff, BT, Virgin, EE, Three etc.

Which providers use which physical networks? And does coverage vary between providers using the same physical network?

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

I've no idea who EE are, or rather no idea which network they use. There are only two or three physical networks AIUI. Vodafone, Orange and Cellnet, but there are loads of service providers, giffgaff, BT, Virgin, EE etc.

Which providers use which physical networks?

I think EE are the network. BT use the EE network.

9 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

I think EE are the network. BT use the EE network.

So are you saying there is only one physical network now? 

If so, where to Vodafone fit in? I know for a fact their coverage is different from Three, being a subscriber to them both! 

• Happy 1

27 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

So are you saying there is only one physical network now? 

If so, where to Vodafone fit in? I know for a fact their coverage is different from Three, being a subscriber to them both! 

I think there are three, O2, EE & Vodafone in size order

Cellnet became BT Cellnet, then became O2 (which is owned by Telefonica)

EE was the merger of Orange & T-Mobile and is now owned by BT (who trade as BT, EE & PlusNet)

Vodafone is just as awful as they've always been (my first mobile provider who screwed me with so-called "insurance")

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

I think there are three, O2, EE & Vodafone in size order

Cellnet became BT Cellnet, then became O2 (which is owned by Telefonica)

EE was the merger of Orange & T-Mobile and is now owned by BT (who trade as BT, EE & PlusNet)

Vodafone is just as awful as they've always been (my first mobile provider who screwed me with so-called "insurance")

Ok thanks!

So there are still three completely separate physical service networks then? O2, EE and Voodoofone.

And all those many service providers each 'piggy-back off one or another of these? 

Which physical network does Three piggy-back on?

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Ok thanks!

So there are still three completely separate physical service networks then? O2, EE and Voodoofone.

And all those many service providers each 'piggy-back off one or another of these? 

Which physical network does Three piggy-back on?

I think the previous response had some dubious punctuation and capitalisation.  There are 4 networks, one of with is "Three".

1 hour ago, john6767 said:

I think the previous response had some dubious punctuation and capitalisation.  There are 4 networks, one of with is "Three".

Nope, I forgot about that one, Hutchinson 3G which are branded as Three or 3 :blush:
they used to use O2 for their 2G signal, then Orange, now I think they just don't bother with 2G fallback

13 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

Nope, I forgot about that one, Hutchinson 3G which are branded as Three or 3 :blush:
they used to use O2 for their 2G signal, then Orange, now I think they just don't bother with 2G fallback

I don't believe that Three have ever had any 2G did they, the clue is in the name!