Playing football in the Canal community.

Mervyn

Featured Posts

My name is Mervyn and I am a fairly recently retired teacher in Oxfordshire.I taught many canal living children in schools and helped parents with school/education issues.

I am helping Oxfordshire Football Association in Inclusion work in the county (and on the borders).Football is changing very quickly and there are now many types of football available,not just traditional team matches and leagues.These include flexible leagues and just "turning up" to play with friends at an agreed time and venue.

The football is usually at a sports-centre with floodlights available,often on a 3G surface.Venues are in such places as Oxford,Banbury and Bicester,but others are available too.(Probably Witney and Kidlington in the future).The activities are for men and women,during the day or evenings,including week-end's.

Often people in the canal community don't have find out such things,so I am trying to "bridge the gap".

I am also looking from someone from the canal community who could put forward ideas,to help improve things further.

Many thanks.

5 hours ago, Mervyn said:

My name is Mervyn and I am a fairly recently retired teacher in Oxfordshire.I taught many canal living children in schools and helped parents with school/education issues.

I am helping Oxfordshire Football Association in Inclusion work in the county (and on the borders).Football is changing very quickly and there are now many types of football available,not just traditional team matches and leagues.These include flexible leagues and just "turning up" to play with friends at an agreed time and venue.

The football is usually at a sports-centre with floodlights available,often on a 3G surface.Venues are in such places as Oxford,Banbury and Bicester,but others are available too.(Probably Witney and Kidlington in the future).The activities are for men and women,during the day or evenings,including week-end's.

Often people in the canal community don't have find out such things,so I am trying to "bridge the gap".

I am also looking from someone from the canal community who could put forward ideas,to help improve things further.

Many thanks.

Welcome, Mervyn. You sound as if you have good ideas (as we retired teachers tend to have, of course), though I am not quite sure what you are hoping for from CWDF membetrs - volunteer referees, perhaps? Team organisers?

What is a "3G surface"?

Edited by Athy

6 minutes ago, Bewildered said:

No idea, but 2G on a phone is a slower internet connection the 3G or 4G;)

Not something I've heard of, but I'll take your word for it. I shouldn't think that Mervyn is suggesting that people play football with mobile phones, though the more of them that get booted into the cut, the better.

I play on a 4g surface. Which is basicly fake grass. 

It has artficial blades of grass on a bed of little rubber balls. It is the next generation on from 3g. I beleive 3g may be the same but based on a sand base. Maybe.

I suspect they are up to 6g by now. But 3 and 4 are fine to play on but still don't slide on them

Hi everyone !  Well the advanced version of 3G is good enough for National League North and South,which is just two steps from the Football League.It does use rubber items in there.I wasn't aware that 4G had made an appearance.The nearest semi-pro club Oxford City now have two pitches,they cost many,many thousands. with floodlights too.

Many years ago I officiated at Luton Town,who with QPR had the very early plastic-pitches.Now you would wipe your feet on them !

I am looking for people that would like to play football,any age with friends,male and female,daytime or night-time,under lights.

There would be a charge,but not expensive.I am trying to encourage the canal community to look again at this area.There is also "walking football" played now (I expect humourous comments now ie  my team play walking football...not supposed to be walking though !).

It is played on a hard surface,with normal football rules,but only allowed to....walk.Popular with the older person,a good laugh too.

Someone to come to a meeting in the county (every two months) would be a bonus.

I taught in Banbury and a number of families went to Cropredy in the summer.Living in Oxford,many narrowboats here too and I visit Annies at Thrupp,near Kidlington often.

Regards to all,

Mervyn.

20 hours ago, Mervyn said:

Hi everyone !  Well the advanced version of 3G is good enough for National League North and South,which is just two steps from the Football League.It does use rubber items in there.I wasn't aware that 4G had made an appearance.The nearest semi-pro club Oxford City now have two pitches,they cost many,many thousands. with floodlights too.

Many years ago I officiated at Luton Town,who with QPR had the very early plastic-pitches.Now you would wipe your feet on them !

I am looking for people that would like to play football,any age with friends,male and female,daytime or night-time,under lights.

There would be a charge,but not expensive.I am trying to encourage the canal community to look again at this area.There is also "walking football" played now (I expect humourous comments now ie  my team play walking football...not supposed to be walking though !).

It is played on a hard surface,with normal football rules,but only allowed to....walk.Popular with the older person,a good laugh too.

Someone to come to a meeting in the county (every two months) would be a bonus.

I taught in Banbury and a number of families went to Cropredy in the summer.Living in Oxford,many narrowboats here too and I visit Annies at Thrupp,near Kidlington often.

Regards to all,

Mervyn.

Hello  Mervyn. Small world. My wife is " Annie " we opened and ran Annies Tea room ( hence the name ) in 2009 until we sold it on to the present encumbent who has been there now several years. There is a cruising club at Thrupp who may or may not be interested and someone such as the lovely Marriane in the Tea room may be able to assist you with your quest :cheers:

Tim