Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
alan_fincher

Worst "Bargeware" ?

Featured Posts

There are some decent threads running highlighting some of the canal art that may be available on e-Bay and elsewhere, but generally they have focussed on the "good" or at least "acceptable".

I thought it might be amusing to also pick out some of the stranger "barge ware" being offered.

I didn't spend long looking before I came up with this "traditional" item.  I'm sure somebody can better it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-hand-painted-canal-bargeware-flowers-10-pt-bread-flour-bin-storage-can/192380334326?hash=item2ccac2f0f6:g:SvYAAOSwZB9aHssu

Your nominations, please !

I wasn't aware that the old barges had fridges, and the fact that wood is magnet astounds me :

Red Rectangular Wooden Fridge Magnet Narrow Boat Barge Ware Canal Folk Style Art

s-l1600.jpg

The trouble is, that to my eyes, these are just as about as unattractive as the "real thing"

OK, I could live with a useful artefact, but I can't think of any essential requirement that would entice me to purchase.

Ditto horsebrasses, lacey drapes and be-ribboned platters.

PS the enamel jug looks OK, for what it is, a blue jug with a fewflowers,  not wondeful, but not a monstrosity.

Edited by LadyG

Eee up. A curator of R & C tat museum is looking at this thread. Morning Dave. More exhibits? May I suggest you go  and sit  in a dark room to recover. :)

Edited by Ray T

I am the curator of the “ Black Museum”, a collection of appalling souvenir items collected by Phil Speight and myself. The qualifier is that it has to be offered for sale rather than an example of early efforts. I used it on my painting weekends, to encourage students, along the lines of “ Look, you’ve only been painting for a few hours and you can do better than this “.

I’ll remove it from my loft later today and post some choice images....not for the faint hearted.....

Dave

• Greenie 3
  • Haha 1

That looks like a Helix ruler originally sold by Woolworths in the early 70's. Made from high density polyethylene ( likely density of 0.953 Kg/m3) but looks in poor condition. Not sure what the blue thing is.

10 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

That looks like a Helix ruler originally sold by Woolworths in the early 70's. Made from high density polyethylene ( likely density of 0.953 Kg/m3) but looks in poor condition. Not sure what the blue thing is.

I didn't notice either of those. I meant the tablecloth.

• Haha 1

The things some peddle, here's a gent getting ready for the summer season souvenir trade.:ninja:

Wash bowel.jpg

Edited by Ray T

2 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

More likely polymethylmethacrylate as it appears to be transparent.

4 hours ago, LadyG said:

The trouble is, that to my eyes, these are just as about as unattractive as the "real thing"

OK, I could live with a useful artefact, but I can't think of any essential requirement that would entice me to purchase.

Ditto horsebrasses, lacey drapes and be-ribboned platters.

PS the enamel jug looks OK, for what it is, a blue jug with a fewflowers,  not wondeful, but not a monstrosity.

For a fiver plus p&p it's an expensive monstrosity.

3 X Floral Barge Ware Jar Lights Battery Operated as used by Arthur Bray when staggering back from the Nelson on dark Winter evenings .............

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-X-Floral-Barge-Ware-Jar-LightS-Battery-Operated/122907227459?hash=item1c9dd77543:g:IM4AAOSwKytZIflO

I notice he also has Arthur's "Goin out Strides" with the embarrassing crotch stain"

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Silver-Skinny-Stretch-High-Waisted-Size-10-Jeans/122891379588?hash=item1c9ce5a384:g:fcwAAOSw0exaCCLs

Here are some examples, as promised, from the Black Museum. Remember that all of these items are there because they were thought to be of saleable quality....I think that the blue spoon with abstract white and yellow blotches was purchased from a museum....I can only imagine that some of the old timers, the inspiration for people such as Phil and I must be turning, if not spinning, in their graves......

E9489489-FF9B-4F17-B3A3-10418EBAA88A.jpeg

Edited by dave moore

Respect, respect, to you and Phil but are you not sailing dangerously close to attracting queries about how you paint with such obvious skill when blinded by your respective heads being firmly up respective darknesses?  Or is that why you label them Black?

Someone surely once thought those items were a good enough effort to sell and one assumes someone else thought they were good enough to buy, or why keep on painting them. 

48 minutes ago, dave moore said:

Here are some examples, as promised, from the Black Museum. Remember that all of these items are there because they were thought to be of saleable quality....I think that the blue spoon with abstract white and yellow blotches was purchased from a museum....I can only imagine that some of the old timers, the inspiration for people such as Phil and I must be turning, if not spinning, in their graves......

E9489489-FF9B-4F17-B3A3-10418EBAA88A.jpeg

I'm wondering if the top spoon accidentally got sent for sale when the "artist" still considered they had only half completed it?

I really can't come up with a better explanation for its existence!

5 hours ago, dor said:

More likely polymethylmethacrylate as it appears to be transparent.

Any idea what the density is?

4 hours ago, canalboat said:

Respect, respect, to you and Phil but are you not sailing dangerously close to attracting queries about how you paint with such obvious skill when blinded by your respective heads being firmly up respective darknesses?  Or is that why you label them Black?

Someone surely once thought those items were a good enough effort to sell and one assumes someone else thought they were good enough to buy, or why keep on painting them. 

One of the issues here is that some people actually buy this stuff thinking it is actual art that "proper" boat people would have used. No self respecting boat man or woman would have been seen dead wearing these.

May I suggest if you haven't already, you read Tony Lewery's book "Flowers afloat" especially the last chapter, Blue, Yellow and the souvenir disease  to see the effect some of this "tat" has on watering down what is a unique and truly historical English folk art form.

s-l1600[1].jpg

Edited by Ray T

1 hour ago, Dr Bob said:

Any idea what the density is?

About 1.18 :)

• Greenie 1